Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture Woes

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AlanD wrote:
    So I pumped them to 80lbs, went for a cycle and literally 500m down the road the back tyre deflated.

Had you just put a tube in? Often with a puncture that happens that fast it means the tube has been put in incorrectly and is caught against the rim or something.
    AlanD wrote:
    Yes, 2 of the punctures had little gashes on the inside of the tube, so not caused by anything coming in from outside. I've put those tube protector things on the outside of the tube.

In my experience, most punctures aren't caused by sharp objects going in through the tyre, but by pinch flats. Essentially, you ride over something and the tube is squeezed between it and the rim. Chances of this happening increase massively if the tyres are underinflated. You usually get two holes, one on the inside and one on the outside of the tube, but sometimes you may only get one. So it needn't necessarily be the spoke nipples causing it. If the rim tape isn't torn or loose, I'd consider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

According to this 28 x 1 & 5/8's x 1 & 3/8's seems to be another name for ISO 622mm / 700C, e.g. standard hybrid/road bike size. I've used 700x25 slick armadillos and they work fine, very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

blorg wrote:
    According to this 28 x 1 & 5/8's x 1 & 3/8's seems to be another name for ISO 622mm / 700C, e.g. standard hybrid/road bike size. I've used 700x25 slick armadillos and they work fine, very reliable.

the other measurement is 700 x 35C so that is the size tube I've been getting.....seems to fit fine...... but maybe not since I've been in puncture city this last while.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AlanD wrote:
    the other measurement is 700 x 35C so that is the size tube I've been getting.....seems to fit fine...... but maybe not since I've been in puncture city this last while.

That's the one to look out for. Usually tubes are for a range of tyre sizes. In your case, you should be looking out for something marked like 700 X 28/38.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

el tonto wrote:
    Had you just put a tube in? Often with a puncture that happens that fast it means the tube has been put in incorrectly and is caught against the rim or something.

In my experience, most punctures aren't caused by sharp objects going in through the tyre, but by pinch flats. Essentially, you ride over something and the tube is squeezed between it and the rim. Chances of this happening increase massively if the tyres are underinflated. You usually get two holes, one on the inside and one on the outside of the tube, but sometimes you may only get one. So it needn't necessarily be the spoke nipples causing it. If the rim tape isn't torn or loose, I'd consider this.

Just took out the tube to see where the puncture was and it was on the rim side of the wheel. It was like a cut...which could mean it was pinched.

As far as I remember though, this tube wasn't just fitted, but it was under inflated, so maybe it's to do with my own fitting method.

• Advertisement
Advertisement