Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I want/need??

• 10-06-2007 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Hope someone here can help..

Got a new job n gonna be on the road a lot more. I will have a company phone that i might also use as my personal phone, not sure.

Anyways, Im looking for something that I can check my emails on, surf the net, use for sat nav, maybe use for mp3(have n ipod already)... and maybe make calls on.

Now I was thinking of getting a ultra portable laptop n getting either 3's or vodafones wireless broadband.. Has anyone used this?? Whats it like?? Coverage, speed etc.

Thing about the laptop is that even tho is fairly small it'll still be a bit too big to keep on the dash n it doesnt make calls. Then was thinking about a PDA/Smartphone...

Is there one that'll do everything above?? email/net/sat-nav r the main requirements that I have...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

One of these maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Nokia N95 is your best option.It have all those features like sat nav etc.Best phone around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The sat nav aint getting great reviews n for net use it wouldnt be that suitable.

That HTC looks sweet, cant find any for sale tho.... Never thought of anything like that..

Would this be similar??
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UBiQUiO-701-Ultra-Mobile-PC-Q1-UMPC-Mint-condition_W0QQitemZ300120045143QQihZ020QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

unklerosco wrote:
    The sat nav aint getting great reviews n for net use it wouldnt be that suitable.

That HTC looks sweet, cant find any for sale tho.... Never thought of anything like that..

Would this be similar??
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UBiQUiO-701-Ultra-Mobile-PC-Q1-UMPC-Mint-condition_W0QQitemZ300120045143QQihZ020QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats more a laptop then a portable phone/computer/sat nav etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

HTC make devices like the XDA and then they are branded, IMATE sell some of them: http://www.imate.com/t-devicedetails.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Kaiser FTW!! Stats sheet! Unboxing!

decided to get something similar to the HTC kaiser... Just wondering, is it possible to get a data only sim card?? Ie. 3's new broadband deal is €20 a month for unlimited access. In the small print it notes that its data only. Does anyone know if theres a sim in the USB modem n if its possible to use it in a phone/pda???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

unklerosco wrote:
    decided to get something similar to the HTC kaiser... Just wondering, is it possible to get a data only sim card?? Ie. 3's new broadband deal is €20 a month for unlimited access. In the small print it notes that its data only. Does anyone know if theres a sim in the USB modem n if its possible to use it in a phone/pda???

3 have the €20 unlimited access (think it limits you to 10GB though) on both bill pay and 3pay so you could get one of these (you might have to buy a phone off them as they don't sell them seperately) and subscribe to the data bundle.

I heard the 3pay is restricted when it comes to net use... And I didn't really want to have to pay a monthly fee(bill pay) along with €20 for data use.

http://www.3ireland.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm
    This is what i'm talking about, i was just wondering if there's a removable sim in it that i could use in a phone..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

unklerosco wrote:
    I heard the 3pay is restricted when it comes to net use... And I didn't really want to have to pay a monthly fee(bill pay) along with €20 for data use.

http://www.3ireland.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm
    This is what i'm talking about, i was just wondering if there's a removable sim in it that i could use in a phone..

Sorry misread your post. I thought you were looking for the data bundle and voise calls and texts :o. I'm not 100% sure but I'd say you could put that into the phone.

• Advertisement

Right, from what i can see the sim is removable... All i need to know now is if it deffo works in a mobile.

Well i'm gonna get my PDA n then get the modem, if it doesnt work i can return it under the 14day guarantee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

unklerosco wrote:
    Hope someone here can help..

Got a new job n gonna be on the road a lot more. I will have a company phone that i might also use as my personal phone, not sure.

Anyways, Im looking for something that I can check my emails on, surf the net, use for sat nav, maybe use for mp3(have n ipod already)... and maybe make calls on.

Now I was thinking of getting a ultra portable laptop n getting either 3's or vodafones wireless broadband.. Has anyone used this?? Whats it like?? Coverage, speed etc.

Thing about the laptop is that even tho is fairly small it'll still be a bit too big to keep on the dash n it doesnt make calls. Then was thinking about a PDA/Smartphone...

Is there one that'll do everything above?? email/net/sat-nav r the main requirements that I have...

pda-phones/smartphones/umpcs that have internet/email/gps include:

1) nokia n95
    2) htc p3600/trinity/ t-mobile m600
    3) htc p3300/artemis/xda orbit
    4) eten glofiish x500
    5)eten glofiish m700
    6) eten glofiish x800
    7) mio a701
    8) htc p4550/kaiser
    9) htc advantage
    10) fs loox t830

the p3300/artemis and eten devices also have fm tuners.
    the htc p3600/trinity has hsdpa.
    the kaiser has a flip-up keyboard and hsdpa.
    nokia n95 has 5mp camera and hsdpa.
    the mio a701 doesn't have wifi.

edit: 2 more gps-enabled smartphones:
    1) the eten G500, the predecessor of the x500 (doesn't have wifi though).

2) palm will be bringing out the treo 800 (a gps-enabled smartphone afaik).
    edit: actually scratch the treo 800- dunno if it'd work in europe and dunno if it has gps tbh.

Advertisement