Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New system mapped out ,am I wroght or wrong

Options
  • 10-06-2007 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I'm happy enough with the machine I decided to go for.:D

But I've never built before ,so i need some advice.
    Your basket
    Product Name Qty Price Line Total
    Lian Li PC-B20A Aluminium Midi-Tower - Silver £105.99
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit Edition DVD - OEM - 1Pk
    Gigabyte GA_P35_DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Western Digital Raptor 36GB WD360ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache - OEM
    Zalman CNPS7000B-CU Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail £18.99
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 "LGA775 Conroe" 1.86GHz (1066FSB) - Retail £94.99
    OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-9200 1150MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-620HXUK)

Everything seem ok ,I'm not too worried about the cpu . I will probably change it in the future as the board will accept the new cpu's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The CPU is fine. Are you going to be running everything off the onboard graphics? GFX card might be a good investment;)

EDIT: any particular reason you want DDR2-1150?? Are you going to be making use of all that extra bandwidth? What are they charging you for that stuff anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Well if I order a bandwith smaller than the bus of the cpu ,whats the point in having a fast cpu?

it's costing me something like 1400.

I will be getting a gpu ,but by the time I am ready for it ,It will have dropped in price. I want to have my system running smooth ,before I add a gpu.

EDIT : New cpu's have 1300 bandwith

I have no idea what you are talking about.

My core 2 duo has a bus speed of 1066, but my system FSB runs at 266 MHz. The cpu bus is quad pumped, so it is full saturated by double pumped memory running asynchronous with the system bus at 266 MHz, for an effective memory speed of 533 MHz (266x2). Therefore, to run your system best without overclocking, you only need DDR2-533 RAM. If you plan to overclock somewhat, buy higher bandwidth RAM so you can run looser timings at higher core speeds.

EDIT: just checked OCUK, OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-9200 1150MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2 costs £158 (about €230). Thats a pretty good price. Basically, if you run your system at stock, this stuff might perform a bit better than some good DDR2-533. The PC2-9200 just means that at the rated speed you will get those nice timings so your motherboard and cpu wont be held back by slouching memory.

I would personally go for one of their special offers on the GEIL 2GB DDR2-800 kits, only £55 this week and they supposedly overclock very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

_Brian_ wrote:
    Well if I order a bandwith smaller than the bus of the cpu ,whats the point in having a fast cpu?

I'm way too tired to point out why thats wrong, but I do know that somebody will. Buy some pc5400 ram if you don't intend on overclocking and save yourself some money.

If you do plan on overclocking keep the ram, those new chips seem to oc well, I got mine up 3.5ghz before it started to crap out. A near 100% oc is something to aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Will 36GB hdd space be enough? :eek:

• Advertisement

I hope my explanation will suffice krazy, I'm loaded on caffeine and have an itchy trigger finger. 3.5 on your 6600? With what cooling pray tell?

Timans wrote:
    Will 36GB hdd space be enough? :eek:

36gb to boot from ,maybe have some drivers directories on that drive aswell.

All progra~1 files will be on a serial ata 500 drive.

No point in having windows booting from a drive that is full of games.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I hope my explanation will suffice krazy, I'm loaded on caffeine and have an itchy trigger finger. 3.5 on your 6600? With what cooling pray tell?

Phase, a Vapochill Xe to be exact.

Brian, although I have 2 raptors myself I have noticed recently that the newer 7.200k 16meg cache drives are so close in performance that the slight seek time speed benifit really doesn't outway the sheer cost of them. And in terms of Real Life performance its hard to notice the difference.

Just my 2 cents.

I would have to agree, my raptor produces a lot of seek noise and they are overpriced for the performance gain they offer. €100 for a 36GB raptor or a 500GB Samsung spinpoint?

krazy_8s wrote:
    Phase, a Vapochill Xe to be exact.

Brian, although I have 2 raptors myself I have noticed recently that the newer 7.200k 16meg cache drives are so close in performance that the slight seek time speed benifit really doesn't outway the sheer cost of them. And in terms of Real Life performance its hard to notice the difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Is that an empty 500 drive against an almost full unfragmented 36GB drive??

A 36GB drive would always be clean ,because of the lack of hidden places for garbage.
    A 500 drive ,will eventually gather dust .

Fight me here ,I am almost certainly wrong :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

_Brian_ wrote:

A 36GB drive would always be clean ,because of the lack of hidden places for garbage.

a hard drive isnt a trashcan lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

_Brian_ wrote:

my brain hurts.

Plain and simple, don't get the raptor, i'm running 2 in a RAID 0 and i've noticed negligable increases in performance. The only thing i've found them to be good at is extracting large rar archives in the order of 8 GB. But the benefits of this are short lived as it then takes me twice as long to move the file from my raptor raid to one of my storage SATA II drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

_Brian_ wrote:

Eh...either you're having a laugh or...
    The raptors are noisy (even noisier in raid0) and overrated. For yourself a decent 250 sata 11 drive is absolutely fine. If you run a decent av (kaspersky is my current favorite) you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

2 years ago raptors were the business. But these days they are not a whole lot quicker then a decent sata2 drive. If you really want a quick drive get a 15k cheetah scsi drive.

I was on the tipsy side last night ,so exqueez me very muchly please :o

I'll look into the scsi 15k ,I might be aswell with the sata I suppose.

Thanks for the replies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Anti, are you on drugs! Recommending 15K SCSI disks for that build?!?! Looper!

OP - I've just put two 150GB raptors in a machine in RAID 1. I'm not sure how noisy they are becasue the rest of the machine sounds like a small fixed wing aircraft having a bad landing.

I kinda regret not doing what I suggested here on boards - get 4 x 500GB 16MB SATA II disks and configure them in RAID 0+1

But what I have is fine - the two raptors and 2 x 500GB disks as well.

The sound advice from the good people here is one or more 300-500GB 16MB disks for the same price(ish) as the 36GB raptor.

Don't even google for 15K scsi disks - Anti's having an episode!

Thanks for all the help ,I'd forgotten that the graphics card was not the only thing to cause noise.
    The reason I'm going for the 620 psu and case is to keep the noise down.

I want to try my best to have a good machine ,so forgive me for coming out with rubbish every now and again.

Cheers,
    Brian.

Stick to the SATA drives if you are a normal user. SCSI is for the Antis of this world, with their phase change cooling:cool: .

Are you aiming for a quiet system? That corsair is an excellent PSU, its also very efficient.

Anti is at water, I am at phase.

Even 15k Scsi drives are starting to look pretty bad compared to a much cheaper raid 0 solution with large Sata drives. The only thing I have seen recently that makes my mouth water is the 2 1/2 inch 10k Sas drives in work. If you don't mind selling your car they are all right.

Advertisement