Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing maths

Options
  • 10-06-2007 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi,

It looks like I'm going to end up doing Economics & Politics in UCD unfortunately, but I'm not sure where admission stands regarding maths.

The course's Qualifax page is here: http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=13425&CSH_ID=4 and it has no mention of maths, but I've heard many times that you need maths to get into college.

Has this changed, hence why it isn't listed there, or if I fail maths will I be unable to do the course (and college)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

You need atleast a d3 in pass or honours if there is no requirements. Foundation isn't accepted

why are you going to do a course you don't want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Nehpets wrote:
    You need atleast a d3 in pass or honours if there is no requirements. Foundation isn't accepted

why are you going to do a course you don't want to?

It's not that I don't want to do, it's just low on my CAO list and I consider the fact I'm not getting a better course a failure.

Thanks for the info though.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Nehpets wrote:

This is what I thought too, but got curious about UCD's matriculation requirement, so decided to check their prospectus. Surprisingly, it doesn't mention maths (or any subject) specifically, but simply says that two higher level C3s and four further passes are required; along with the individual course's requirements listed throughout the prospectus. Now, every course has Irish, English, a third language and "three other recognised subjects" listed as requirements, and most mention maths. However, there are some that don't, including Economics and Politics (for which the requirements are "Irish, English, a third language and three other recognised subjects").

I was sure that maths was required, but I'm not so sure now. It's definitely needed for Trinity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Nehpets wrote:

On what basis are you making these two assertions?

My reading of NUI regulations is that mathematics is not required for that faculty.

Furthermore, foundation level mathematics does fulfil the matriculation registration requirement for NUI colleges, although it does not fulfil a specific course requirement for mathematics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Just to clarify what I fairly confidently believe is the situation: in NUI you don't need maths at all for courses in the following faculties, unless otherwise specified for the individual course:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

Furthermore, if you do foundation maths, and pass it, you can count it as one of your six matric subjects. (So you only need to pass five others, including your c3's.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement