Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures of my time in Lebanon

Options
  • 10-06-2007 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Here is a few Pictures of my time in the Lebanon..

the pictures of the hills are not clouds...there shells from Israeli Guns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Some more...

A few more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Thank you for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Ha ha! Where'd you liberate the bus stop from?
    Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for posting.

The first photos, were you doing the inter-contingent infantry run?.

I loved the old Leb trips, some where dangerous as hell. Something which the public here never heard about, or when they did, never appricated.

I was going to out with the new UNIFIL trip, but I hear its the pits, between sh*t Irish officers (nothing new there) and working alongside pig ignorant Finn's.

I loved Lebanon. The people are fantastic (mostly), but dammit 25 yrs and they let Hezbollah throw it all away last year. All the sacrifices, the efforts for peace, everything we done for them and all for nothing in the end.

• Advertisement

Thats correct..the infantry run..I have very fond memories of my trips to Lebanon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

I loved the old Leb trips, some where dangerous as hell. Something which the public here never heard about, or when they did, never appricated.

thanks for the great pics brought back some good and bad memories
    that used to seriously p*ss me of when you'd ring home and mention some sh*te had happened, and be told it was never mentioned on any irish news' after spending three days in a bunker
    or to hear the comments about the leb from civies that it was a holiday camp.
    Of course the public didn't need to hear irsh soliders lives were at risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dryle

my eldest brother served in the leb 4 times tried to go no 5 and was refused on health reasons contracted asthma. died 4 years ago, he loved going there

dryle wrote:
    my eldest brother served in the leb 4 times tried to go no 5 and was refused on health reasons contracted asthma. died 4 years ago, he loved going there

RIP. Very Sorry to hear that..Can you say where/Unit your Brother served in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dryle wrote:

Damn, really sorry to hear about your brother. I'm wondering if I knew him too.

But yea, about civies perception of what Lebanon was like. That used to p*ss me off big time too, still does sometimes.

But then of course we never had a Defence Department/Government who gave a rats ass about us.

Dryle, you should inform the Irish UN vets association of your brother's passing. They're always interested in hearing about past and serving member's of the Defence Forces who've served on UN missions.

Here's their site http://www.iunva.com/

Regards to you and your family and sorry once again for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Thanks for the share... very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Good stuff. I guess re: public perception it was always as much our government that didn't want it all made public. Suited them to have this image of a holiday camp floating around, lest people start demanding we pull out of dangerous UN missions because they are, well, dangerous. Sad fact of life that you're more appreciated for marching on special occasions than doing good work in places like the Leb. Of course it's amusing which we're better at...

RIP. Very Sorry to hear that..Can you say where/Unit your Brother served in?

he was in collins barrack mick ryle, i had 3 other bros in anthony, dominic (baldonnel) brendan (curragh). father Michael (Dicey) Ryle - Cathal Brugha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hey
    just sorta came upon this thread..
    sorry to hear of the loss to you and your family
    maybe we served together
    i don't know!
    but i know among his comrades and the people in his home station - they appreciate his service and the personnel who were overseas with him.
    and Joe soap in the street? - well they never know - but thats the way it is..
    take care......

:)

dryle wrote:
    he was in collins barrack mick ryle, i had 3 other bros in anthony, dominic (baldonnel) brendan (curragh). father Michael (Dicey) Ryle - Cathal Brugha

.Afraid the name doesn't ring a bell..Sorry again about your brother

he has been out of the army about 8 yrs or so

I have loads of pictures and post some every so often..

Here are a few more.

In the first Pic I've pointed in Red to where the UN post was located..(6-48 Tibnine)

Advertisement