Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortstack advice?

Options
  • 10-06-2007 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

i used to think they were annoyin but today i went on a shortstack binge nd did well. if there's been a similar thread on here before, dont give out to me, jus link me.

so thats it, anyone got any links on either boards, 2+2 or FTR? or any strategies urselves that wud help? i dont plan on shortstacking much but when i do, id like to know more bout what im doin..

at the moment i buy into 1/2 wit 20 or 1.50/3 wit 30. i dont open push allin and usually build up mostly by bling stealin or bein aggressive on scary boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Im sure most people will tell you its not as profitable as playing fully stacked but im sure it can still be profitable. Low To Medium Pocket Pairs obviously become worthless unless your stealing so you'd probably just be best to Open Push the Top 10% of hands as people will call shortstacks lighter.

I hate shortstacks playing at my table btw:D Also finding the right seat i.e You want whoevers in the blinds to be tight as the last thing you want is them constantly calling or RR you when your stealing. I dont think youll find many great articles on it as its pretty straight forward, steal blinds and Open Push x% of hands and hope to get called or take the blinds down. Personally id rather buyin at 10c/20c with a full buyin but if you just want to dabble in the higher stakes for the fun of it then go ahead.

If i remember correctly Skalanskys Theory of Poker deals with playing as a shortstack, or maybe its The Little Green Book by Mr.Gordon:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

its not really covered in the green book. He touches on the tournie aspect or shortstack play, which is different.

Didnt read the theory of poker yet, so i dont know.

Tbh, if you can be profitable at shortstack play, i think your going to be more profitable at full stack.

Any short stacks i play usually double up and go bust. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

shortstackers must die.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

yeah, you shouldn't be playing flops, it's all in pf poker.

I really doubt you're gonna find advice on be a shortstacker on 2+2, but basically you should just find tables with really aggressive pf poker going on, full tilt would probably be the best site. sit beside someone 3betting light loads, and just shove with pairs decent aces or whatever and race against his thrash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

well when i say i dont open shove, i mean not all the time.. i dont leave a table after i double up either usually. if i think its an easy table, ill wait for a triple or quadruple up. (best was 20 to 147 :D)

what wud u do in first position with AQ wit say 30 dollars in 1/2? i raise to 7 as i wud if a had 100BB in front nd not 15.. or shud i raise all in, put someone on a decision?

when i say 100BB, im on bout nl50, i dnt have BR for 1/2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I shove and replace u with ou in all your sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

There is nothing more dangerous than a Tournie Short stack. They are like little suicidal Ninja Lemmings without a care in the world.

I find as a short stack it is easier to play. No brainer All in PF with any top cards, as the blinds edge their way towards you..... If you hit...you hit... if not... Better luck next time.

One thing is never to give up if you are short stacked and the blinds will let you see another 3 or 4 orbits. Nothing better than doing the "Come back kid" thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Shortstacking in cash games is a good way to spin up a roll quickly. Most shortstack players do not play it properly in cash games and I always look for tables with a couple of shortstacks as it creates a better action dynamic.

When plying shortstacked you should play fullring as you get to see more hands in between the blinds.

All in is not the only move necessary if played properly. With 20bb's limping for set value is still profitable, in fact it is easy to get fully paid when you flop one.

20bb is better to play than 10bb as you get FE witha reraise agaist some players with 20 but not with 10.

If starting with 20bb you should leave after y gt to 40+ and move up levels.

Shortstack wrote:
    Shortstacking in cash games is a good way to spin up a roll quickly. Most shortstack players do not play it properly in cash games and I always look for tables with a couple of shortstacks as it creates a better action dynamic.

When plying shortstacked you should play fullring as you get to see more hands in between the blinds.

All in is not the only move necessary if played properly. With 20bb's limping for set value is still profitable, in fact it is easy to get fully paid when you flop one.

20bb is better to play than 10bb as you get FE witha reraise agaist some players with 20 but not with 10.

If starting with 20bb you should leave after y gt to 40+ and move up levels.
    nice post,

when u say move up levels, do u do it with the mentality that its profit anyway and keep goin thru blind levels nd hopefully not bust at like 10/20?

• Advertisement

nice post,

when u say move up levels, do u do it with the mentality that its profit anyway and keep goin thru blind levels nd hopefully not bust at like 10/20?

Well thats the idea. For example I would start at 1/2 with maybe $200 in the account and buy in for $40 when I get to $80 I would move up to 2/4, when I get to $160 I bank some and use $120 at 3/6. Sometimes I wil take a few shots at one level before moving up to the next.

I did it last night and went from $260 to $1350 in a couple of hours.

Whilst I may limp with smaller pocket pairs I would never call a raise with them, I pretty much always ship over the top of a raise when in LP but dump small pairs to a raise in EP.

AK/AQ is auto ship to a raise from any position as are TT+, UL if you run into a big pair.

In late position my ship it range is all PP's and KQ+, AT+ and I would reraise all in from the blinds with these hands also. Pretty muc eerything else is a fold. It is boring poker and I much prefer playing deepstacked. However when needs must I will resort to shortstacking to get back up from a bad run/excessive cashout. The latest reason was a combination of both :(

jus had unlucky session of shortstacking.. then an unlucky session of max buyin. so now im shortstacking again chasing losses. oh the fun to be had wit poker.

gonna re read ur post nd see if i can steal any of it into my game, u seem to have shortstacked a right bit?

So is that where your name comes from or is that just a coincidence?

dvdfan wrote:
    So is that where your name comes from or is that just a coincidence?

Just a coincidence. More cos I used to always have a shortstack playing tournaments :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

shortstackers must die.
    I agree. F*ck cash game shortstacking ba$tards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

I tried this as i had $150 in FT i wasnt using. I normally play 25/50 on ipoker full stack. Anyway after an hour of sitting at $1/$2 i had improved my stack from the min buyin of $40 to $60 and doubled up. I didnt really have a strategy at the time and joined a waiting list for $3/$6 but it was ages since i joined it and no luck.

I was playing 9 table and basically i would open push AQ-AK over any raise unless it was UTG-UTG+1. I would open push AT+ TT+ from late position and i would limp PP from Middle position on but fold to the RR. Basically Shortstacks strategy.

Anyway in the meantime i got an invitation to join the $3/$6 just as i was about to go and within 10 minutes i had doubled up $120 to $240 and the next hand before i got to sitout i was dealt PP and limped and hit my set and won another $50.

Does people think it would be better to limp RR good hands from early position i.e 1st 3 seats rather than open pushing because at this level its fairly aggressive. Im also thinking about datamining because there only seems to be 1 tables at $1/$2 and 1 at $3/$6 playing Full Ring so it seems a small pool, i could then put people on much better ranges for when im pushing over there raise and obviously if someone raises UTG with 18/15 then im only pushing with AA/KK

Taughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I wouldnt play a cash game short-stacked. Period.

As for short-stacked in a tourny, it's basically all-in or fold, and pick the right position and moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

jus had unlucky session of shortstacking.. then an unlucky session of max buyin. so now im shortstacking again chasing losses. oh the fun to be had wit poker.

gonna re read ur post nd see if i can steal any of it into my game, u seem to have shortstacked a right bit?

text talk is worse than shortstacking. Although I shortied in the jackpot on monday, was obviously a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dantes

<RANT>
    HATE shortstackers!!! my god, can you not just go and play a tournie or something, get out of the cash games!!! I like to play poker beyond pf and flop, wish there was some enforcement of minimum 100BB buy-in on online sites...
    </RANT>

Had to get that out of me, feel much better now.

Lloyd I agree they can be easy money, but alot of the time you have to throw away speculative hands pf, like SC's when one of them raises, they take away some of the play if you ask me. You're right about the standard of them though, some are just truly awful...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jamesAA

Hey, I have found a chart for 10bb shortstacking

table11.gif

Does anyone know of something similar for 20bb? There are not many 10bb sites ... The site I got the chart from (http://pokershortstack.com/) lists one but I already have acct there so cant get bonus or deals :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Stick it up your you know where.

Death to short stackers.

Advertisement