Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight prejudice??

Options
  • 11-06-2007 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,
    Just wanted a few opinions on something which just happened tonight. Met up with a few friends, and went for drinks in the Front Lounge. Two of the friends are a hetrosexual couple, but weren't exactly advertising it in an obvious way other than holding hands. towards the end of the evening,when the pair of them were getting up to leave, a (rather drunk it has to be said) lad came over and basically yelled that he was fed up with breeders taking over gay bars and straights shouldn't be allowed in etc etc. Now, while this can be attributed to his drunkenness, it's not the first time I've seen an attitude like this in a gay bar, or indeed in certain gay circles. Is there a backlash of straight prejudice going on at the moment or has it always been there and I've been blissfully unaware? To clarify the group dynamic, we're a mixed bag of sexualities and tend to go to clubs/pubs moreso for a particular type of music/evening than a specific pick-up possibility.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Should have informed him that the front lounge isn't an exclusively gay bar, or at least wasn't when I used to go there. Back i nthe day there was in theory a straight part and a gay part with separate entrances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

Agh, I hate that attitude. Why shouldn't homosexuals be allowed to have their friends into a gay bar, when straight folk have thier gay friends into "straight" bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ridiculous attitude. It's probably borne out of frustration at idiot straight girls choosing gay bars as locations for hen nights so they can "look at all the gheys" and the like, but no excuse for his reaction towards your friends. He sounds like a sad case tbh.

Stark wrote:
    Ridiculous attitude. It's probably borne out of frustration at idiot straight girls choosing gay bars as locations for hen nights so they can "look at all the gheys" and the like, but no excuse for his reaction towards your friends. He sounds like a sad case tbh.

But at the same time I know gays guys that love that weird non sexual - sexualised attention they get off certain types of women. But yea, theres only one way to deal with people like the above. Tell them **** off, and go **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Ironic, a gay being prejudice against a straight couple.

• Advertisement

robnubis wrote:

Not all that ironic

"Irish man, caught being a drunken asshole". Some would say typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The ironic bit is that this was in a mixed bar, indeed one that (on its first day of opening) had a bouncer not letting in anyone he thought "looked gay".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

robnubis wrote:
    What has irony ever done to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

Just sounds like a drunk asshole, and lets face it - there are plenty of bars across the country full of them.

In one ear and out the other is the best advice I can give. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

I've experienced that as well - I'm straight but several of my closest friends are gay. Sometime they go straight with me on a night out and often I go gay with them. Makes no odds to me really, but I've been shouted at and called names, particularly by women. There is one in particular who every time she sees me she sneers "straight girl" at me (which in any other tone I would have no problem with, but the tone she uses is really vicious). To be honest, I don't mind that much as the VAST majority of people I meet are lovely, but this kind of "prejudice" (and that seems like a really serious word to use) is happening.

• Advertisement

Its bitterness tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have that problem when i go out with gay friends of mine (who I have been friends with since college - and before one of them was out).

I have been sneered at and called names - the best thing to do is ignore them.... their obviously not happy in them selves when they have to mock others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Dinkie wrote:
    I have that problem when i go out with gay friends of mine (who I have been friends with since college - and before one of them was out).

I have been sneered at and called names - the best thing to do is ignore them.... their obviously not happy in them selves when they have to mock others.

Yeppers. I'm not worried about it, but its an awful shame in the same way that any behaviour like this is an awful shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I've had the same experience of the sneered "straight girl" or "breeder" comment, years ago, wonder if it's the same person?:confused::D . I just think it's sad at this stage that a few minorities are spoiling nights out and promoting a horrible segregated "Them vs Us" situation, when most people I know just don't care whether a venue is gay or straight so long as there's good music and cheap(ish) booze. What I don't understand (obviously in my original post the couple in question were holding hands therefore indicating to some extent their sexual preference) is why something like "breeder" is thrown at you as an insult if you turn down someones advances? It's not as though it's tattoo'ed on my forehead who and what I like, :rolleyes:
    Rant over, ta!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

He was obviously just angry because he's really straight but doesn't want to admit it to himself :)

I know people who have been refused entry into gay bars because they were straight.

Advertisement