Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extractor fan with no out pipe/vent

• 11-06-2007 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I have someone installing a kitchen for me who wants to fit the extractor fan without an output pipe or vent, this sounds totally wrong to me. Is this possible and if so are there any complications from doing it? The fan will be fitted to an exterior wall so there is no reason there can't be some sort of output vent.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If it's fitted to an exterior wall then it will expell the air directly outside, why would there be a requirement for a pipe/vent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

If it's fitted to an exterior wall then it will expell the air directly outside, why would there be a requirement for a pipe/vent?
    I assume the op means that it will be fitted to the inside of an exterior wall,which would require a hole at least to extract directly outside.
    MasterK You can get extractors that don't need a flue, they use a slightly different filter. I would imagine your installer doesn't want to go to the bother of drilling a hole through the wall, which can be a pain, but worth the effort. I recently changed my kitchen and finally installed a flue for the hood, I was amazed the amount of air pumped through, which made me wonder where all the ikky smells and grease had gone when i hadn't got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,290 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Similar to tumble dryers - you can get them with a vent pipe or without (condenser type)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

dubtom wrote:
    I would imagine your installer doesn't want to go to the bother of drilling a hole through the wall, which can be a pain

That's exactly the reason. The extractor is one of Powepoint jobbies from DID some I'm guessing it should really require an vent pipe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Personally, I'd get the hole drilled it's worth the effort. You can rent a drill and a bit to do it. I don't know what the condenser type is like but it sounds a bit gimmicky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You can get ventless 'extractors' which use a carbon filter to remove odours and such. I have an Elica 'Iceberg' fitted and it does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

like above, I have a charcoal ventless unit, also from powerpoint in power city, it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

As its on an external wall tell him to drill the hole and vent it.
    You can get ones with a charcoal filter as Stoner and 10-10-20 say, but these filters do need replacing and are not cheap.
    I would only recommend them where venting would look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, €50 for the filter.
    Oddly enough, I was onto the supplier in Ireland and they commented that they never shipped a single charcoal filter unit in the 3/4 years that the product has been on sale - Just shows you the lazyness of some people (me included!)... tut tut! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,240 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had a charcoal one and like you all thought it was grand, then as I was replacing the kitchen I noticed the amount of grease sitting on the tops of all the presses.
    Since I have vented it I dont have any grease problems and I can also see all the smoke/grease blowing outside....I still use the charcoal filters with the external vent so all that smoke/grease was bypassing the filter and wandering around my house...

• Advertisement
Advertisement