Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Licensing Management

• 11-06-2007 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how others track their microsoft product licensing.

Currently I am collating the licenses where I work by manually counting up the OEM stickers, paper licenses and disk keys , entering them onto an excel spreadsheet and putting in the serial of the machine they are installed on.

This, to me, seems a very inefficient way of doing things. Anyone know of any software , free or otherwise, that you use to license tracking ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pet hate of mine.

wouldn't it be so much easier if microsoft used unique serial numbers or keys for each license.

we've used various license inventory and tracking programs and couldn't really recommend any. Too many false negatives and positives and problems with the dB's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

would be much nicer if each install of the OS or software registered with teh server so you just had to make sure that your paper licenses matched your server statistics.

Then you'd only have to worry about non-networked licenses......

(a "decommission" and "transfer" option would be a must though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ats

pain in the ass to be honest. Track IT is suppose to have a util that scans the network and does license management but I've never seen it in action.

Theres a handy app called Belarc Advisor. It doesn't give you the license key but will tell you what is installed both software and hardware wise with the PCs serial number etc in a HTML file.

I then use these reports to create a spreadsheet with basically the PC name, serial number App name and license code. That way if i have to do a rebuild i can select the correct license umber etc for that machine.

Also for MS office you can get a open agreement. basically on the anniversary of your agreement you tell them how many machines have office installed on and you pay for that number of licenses. if a week later you add 100 machines you don't need to pay until your anniversary and if the 100 machines are still in use you pay for those additional machines for the next 12 months at the same rate as your previous costs. if you happen to drop head count then you only pay for what you have it installed on. dead handy if you have a fluctuating work force or you buy in a rake of new machines to replace out of date ones. It can be expensive if you jump straight into it and cover all your machines so just set up an agreement for the number of machines you have unlicensed and add to it every 12 months. it's a 3 year agreement so you are stuck to it but it does mean that office is Always fully covered

We have a rake of machines with OEM office 2K on it and upgrade packs to 2003. its a pain so basically from now on as a machine is decommissioned the replacement machine is added to my list for the open agreement. Also as the license isn't OEM it IS transferable which is pretty handy.

Now sure if they have a similar one for CAL'S, server or OS licensing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ats wrote:
    We have a rake of machines with OEM office 2K on it and upgrade packs to 2003. its a pain so basically from now on as a machine is decommissioned the replacement machine is added to my list for the open agreement.
    another option is to buy volume licenses for Works for €40-50 and upgrade it to office.

Advertisement