Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knob Nation?

• 11-06-2007 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else feel embarrassed for Gerry Ryan now that he's desparately trying to copy Today FM's Gift Grub?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

I haven't actually heard the show yet but Oliver Callan played at a wedding I was at on Friday. I have to say he was very good and I saw him play at a wedding last year too. He told us at the end it was his last wedding because he's retiring from the wedding circuit. He then proceeded to give the Knob Nation a bit of a plug. He is a former member of Gift Grub that's obviously decided to branch off. I can't imagine he will improve on Mario Rosenstocks version though. He basically does the exact same thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Can't understand why anyone would even attempt it. Today FM weren't the first to create 'skits' like this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the voices are OK, but the writing is terrible, I subscribed to the podcast, listened to about 20 and unsubscribed again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

tbh wrote:
    the voices are OK, but the writing is terrible, I subscribed to the podcast, listened to about 20 and unsubscribed again.

snap - someone told me to check it out, so I did.

Had the exact same reaction as yourself tbh, tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its not Gerry Ryan copying Gift Grub, its just that Knob Nation is on his show. It used to be on Marty in the Morning before those 2 retarded goons took over the Breakfast show. Its Oliver Callan basically copying Gift Grub. He used to do the voices on GG, before Mario Rosenstock allegedly shafted him by not giving him credits on the cd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think he's far better than Rosenstock tbh. But the writing could be better. Having said that, any of the Tom Cruise skits he does always have me in stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

All these morning "comedy" shows are copying each other. I don't find any of them funny. There isn't one decent morning show on the radio in Dublin at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Holysmokes

I have only been listening to knobs nation on Gerry Ryan show this week. Absolutely hilarious. Check out sunscreen song on rte.ie/2fm/nobnation. total legend really funny. I used to like Gift Grub but Mario can't do the impressions. He is tired and stale. Far more characters on the knobs version. Bertie is more convincing and it's risky too. If there's an album, i won't be wastin money on the gift grub stuff, its last cd was ****. Up the knobs. Not a great fan of gerry ryan but he has the balls to play the comedy. if you don't like him either listen to knobs nation on late night 2fm damien farrelly at half ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I thought Knob Nation was the new name for 2fm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Holysmokes wrote:
    I have only been listening to knobs nation on Gerry Ryan show this week. Absolutely hilarious. Check out sunscreen song on rte.ie/2fm/nobnation. total legend really funny. I used to like Gift Grub but Mario can't do the impressions. He is tired and stale. Far more characters on the knobs version. Bertie is more convincing and it's risky too. If there's an album, i won't be wastin money on the gift grub stuff, its last cd was ****. Up the knobs. Not a great fan of gerry ryan but he has the balls to play the comedy. if you don't like him either listen to knobs nation on late night 2fm damien farrelly at half ten.

You have to be taking the piss seriously the sketches which Callan did on Gift were very good but going on his own because he was angry about recognition given to him, not a good move. That Bertie sketch is the biggest pile of sh1te I have ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It starting to grow on me aswell. There was a good one on last week about the Joe Duffy show and the tourists coming to Ireland for the summer... great stuff and far better than yesterday fm s**t grub..

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭BangBeater

jb91 wrote:
    All these morning "comedy" shows are copying each other. I don't find any of them funny. There isn't one decent morning show on the radio in Dublin at the moment.

Or Ireland either for that matter. All these commercial morning radio stations are mad into these duo combinations... & they just don't work.

For straight forward bland info, I like to stick with RTE1 in the mornings, up to 8 though. Then all commercial radio falls to **** for the rest of the day! The gift-grub does get a listen every so often though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I met Oliver Callan in Templebar last Wednesday night at around 4am. He approached me and two american friends and had us going pretending he was gay. He then gave a good few impressions of George Bush , DeNiro and some others I cant remember as I was still a bit drunk. He waffled on about mario at one stage but I cant remember what he said about him and the legal issues. If your reading Oliver ,thanks for the free show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've never heard nob nation on the radio, but downloaded some from the old podcasting device for a listen yesterday... Anyways, i think it's very poor, some of the voices (joe duffy, tom cruise, eamonn dunphy) are quite good, while others are terrible... The writing is crap, it seems your man thinks its funny to break into a song every sketch... Also, is it me or is there a inordinate amount of references to drugs? The sketch about the summer holidays, for no reason (comedic or otherwise) Gay byrne suggests they go to donegal for some hash (i think, wasn't listening too hard, trying desperately not to fall asleep)

I think what might be the problem is that he (Callan) is trying to keep the same formula that gift grub has, but he's unable to capture it and it just sounds terrible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Half-Bicycle

ned78 wrote:
    Anyone else feel embarrassed for Gerry Ryan now that he's desparately trying to copy Today FM's Gift Grub?

I've always felt embarrassed for GR, having witnessed his vanity issues on two separate occasions in the past.

Mind you, his show on late nights in the early 80s was most listenable. Haven't listened to him in some years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockystar

knob nation is the exact same as gift grub...only far worse! if oliver was gonna break away at least do something different not the same format as gift grub cause he's losing...every time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I gave up on listening to the Ian Dempsey Breakfast show a few months ago.
    There seemed to be a decline in the number of sketches and involved Ian chatting to Ben Dunne/Daniel O Donnell/Ronan Keating which got a bit tiresome.

My favourite Gift Grub character...Derek Davis. Was that Oliver Callan or Mario Rosenstock?

As for an alomst 100% gimmick free breakfast show with mostly music...the Downtown Radio show is spot on, unlike the "comedy" almost every other breakfast show feels the have to do.

The first taste of breakfast comedy I recall was when Paul Power (?) did the Today FM breakfast show in its early days. I distinctly remember an amusing sketch "How To Speak Ballinasloe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

ned78 wrote:
    Todayfm's what now? I never listen to today fm :lol::o:lol: or Gerry Ryan for that matter but they repeat Nob Nation at the weekends and some is funny most is smeh so if he's borrowed and idea from elsewhere so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 AJ2012

What characters did Oliver Callan voice when he was on Gift Grub? I haven't heard Knob Nation but I still enjoy Gift Grub in the mornings. My favourite is when Daniel does be talking about Fair City. Very funny!

BangBeater wrote:
    For straight forward bland info, I like to stick with RTE1 in the mornings, up to 8 though. Then all commercial radio falls to **** for the rest of the day! The gift-grub does get a listen every so often though.
    Am I the only person who thinks that RTÉ Radio 1 is too formal and old fashioned? :confused:

But I do agree that morning radio is rubbish. I was even considering looking at what the BBC have to offer, the only memories I have are Terry Wogan's show in 1993. And that was a long time ago for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

AJ2012 wrote:
    What characters did Oliver Callan voice when he was on Gift Grub? I haven't heard Knob Nation but I still enjoy Gift Grub in the mornings. My favourite is when Daniel does be talking about Fair City. Very funny!

He definitely did Dobbo, Plastic Sheeting and Enda Kenny. Not sure about the others. From what I've read in de newspapers, he's got a major chip on his shoulder when it comes to Today FM. He's said some nasty things about his former workmates....not a bright thing to do in this business I'd have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

They returned with a great sketch yesterday morning about all the so called big names returning to montrose after their summer break. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Was gonna start a new thread about this but found this one of old. Two years on and the same criticisms apply. My iTunes pulled down a couple of his sketches by mistake so I tried to give them a listen.

The writing is STILL terrible, chap obviously has no indepth knowledge of politics, which Mario Rosenstock to be fair seems to keep in tune with. Most of his sketches are clever.

And why oh why does he have to take down a cheap backing track and ramble aimlessly over it with his chosen voice, and very awkward lyrics/rhymes. the one I listened to last was Dont Stop Me Now, in the voices of George Lee and Enda Kenny. Awful drivel.

Bit of a waste cos he can do some of the voices well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i stumbled across nob nation the other morning , was quite good , baschically he done a sketch involving michael o murrihertaigh and insinuated that the man despised any sport which was foreign which is something ive always suspected would be funny cause i also suspect its kinda true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

irish_bob wrote: »
    i stumbled across nob nation the other morning , was quite good , baschically he done a sketch involving michael o murrihertaigh and insinuated that the man despised any sport which was foreign which is something ive always suspected would be funny cause i also suspect its kinda true

Thats a total rip-off Scrap Saturday circa 1991 where they had Donncha O'Dulaing doing exacly the same thing "despising the soccer ball pumped up by British poison" etc

Oliver Callan has been listening to too many Scrap Saturday tapes methinks...as had Mario Rosenstock...and that Bull Island crowd; Alan Short etc And it never ceases to amaze me how when they are doing an impression of Charlie Haughy they sound exactly like Dermot Morgan's version rather than the man himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Big Tone wrote: »
    Thats a total rip-off Scrap Saturday circa 1991 where they had Donncha O'Dulaing doing exacly the same thing "despising the soccer ball pumped up by British poison" etc

Oliver Callan has been listening to too many Scrap Saturday tapes methinks...as had Mario Rosenstock...and that Bull Island crowd; Alan Short etc And it never ceases to amaze me how when they are doing an impression of Charlie Haughy they sound exactly like Dermot Morgan's version rather than the man himself.

i can forgive a comedian for stealing material which is 20 years old to be honest , most steal material that is three weeks old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

irish_bob wrote: »
    i can forgive a comedian for stealing material which is 20 years old to be honest , most steal material that is three weeks old

It would be forgivable if it was actually funny. Callan doesnt seem to know a lot about politics, seem to just take a headline and run with it. His "Dont Stop Me Now" with George Lee and Enda Kenny featured him basing the whole "funny" song around the fact that Enda Kenny was happy with the election result. The rest of the song was just filler really. Very poor writing and awareness of what he could have slagged Enda/George about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

on the 2fm website, the only nob nation mp3 files are from april. None before or after??

Also, on iTunes ye have to buy them??

Where are you listening to them?

Kev.

PS: I find the Cowen voice hilarious. Ye can just picture him standin' there holding his underpants in his hand. :D

Advertisement