Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel - getting data to correct columns

Options
  • 11-06-2007 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I have data in excel and its not in correct columns.
    Instead the data is spread across 3 columns while it should be in 2.
    Half of one word is on one column and the other half is on the next so its messed up.
    So how could I get the data to seperate to different columns depending on a space.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

quinnd6 wrote:
    I have data in excel and its not in correct columns.
    Instead the data is spread across 3 columns while it should be in 2.
    Half of one word is on one column and the other half is on the next so its messed up.
    Assuming the broken data is in Cols A & B then go to column D (cel D1) and type =A1 & B1 and press enter.
    Then copy the formula down for the rest of the rows.
    You can then select column D, choose copy and then select edit > paste special > values to replace the formulas with the actual values.
    quinnd6 wrote:
    So how could I get the data to seperate to different columns depending on a space.
    I don't follow what you want here!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I guess he means text to columns (on the data menu / tab). Find the "text to columns" option in your version of excel, and select "Delimited" on the first step, and "Space" on the second step. This will split one column into two wherever a space occurs.

Leave a few blank columns after the one you are splitting, just to be safe (the split column will overwrite the next column if there is anything there - you'll be prompted first if it finds anything, but be careful.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Yes cheers text to columns is indeed what I was looking for.
    Thanks

Advertisement