Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic to manual

Options
  • 11-06-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know whether you have to get a new license (do a new test) if you have a full license for automatic cars and then get a manual?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

An auto licence only covers auto gearboxes (code 78 as per www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836). You need to pass a manual test to drive manuals. Passing a manual test also allows you to drive autos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    Hi

Does anyone know whether you have to get a new license (do a new test) if you have a full license for automatic cars and then get a manual?

Al depends on if it states automatic only on your licence, and if you can drive a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Its a relation of mine - drives a bus and got his license through them - he has never driven a manual but has gone out and bought one - I always assumed you needed to ahve passed a test in a manual to be legally able to drive one.

If not then why doesn't everyone start in an automatic, get their license and then drive a manual - the only real difficulty in driving is the clutch/gear changing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    Its a relation of mine - drives a bus and got his license through them - he has never driven a manual but has gone out and bought one - I always assumed you needed to ahve passed a test in a manual to be legally able to drive one.

If not then why doesn't everyone start in an automatic, get their license and then drive a manual - the only real difficulty in driving is the clutch/gear changing business.

Because technically, if you pass in an auto you are only licenced to drive and auto, but some licences that are issued on an auto test do not state auto only, guess its the pick of the draw when they issue it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ZOLTAN28 wrote:

I'm not too sure about cars but I'd say they would be stricter with licence type for driving buses and other large vehciles. Just get your relation to look for the code 78(Thanks kbannon) on the licence, if it's there they'll need to do the a new test if not happy days. The good news is that wait for tests for large vehicles is only 5-6 weeks.

Also insurance would be a major issue with a PSV. if they have anything wrong and they where involved in an incident don't think that the insurance company won't leave them high and dry

• Advertisement

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I have an automatic license. Do you have to do the theory test when applying for a manual license test. Or is the full automatic license a provisional manual license

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    the only real difficulty in driving is the clutch/gear changing business.

*wonders why the standard of driving is so poor in this country........

Do you have to do the theory test when applying for a manual license test.

Yes. Either having a full license isn't proof that you know the rules of the road or it's a money making scam. Take your pick.

*wonders why the standard of driving is so poor in this country........
    QUOTE]

The standard of driving is so bad because people drive too fast, drive too close and think they know it all and all other drivers are idiots.

What I meant is that driving an automatic is like driving a dodgem - the difficulty most people have when learning to drive a proper car is the clutch and changing through gears.

So if you can get a license in an automatic it will be a lot easier than getting one in a manual and if you can simply drive a manual having only passed a test in an automatic that eems an easy way to get a license to me and a dangerous loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    ...if you can simply drive a manual having only passed a test in an automatic that eems an easy way to get a license to me and a dangerous loophole.
    But...you can't, so it isn't!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    the difficulty most people have when learning to drive a proper car is the clutch and changing through gears

I beg to differ. I learned to drive in a country where the only way to drive for someone without a license is in a dual controlled vehicle with a qualified and licensed instructor

On average it typically took 6 hours of lessons for someone to control the vehicle (steering & gearing). It took 60 hours of lessons (median) to pass the test

esel wrote:
    But...you can't, so it isn't!

My relation is driving a manual - he passed a test in an automatic - this is the first manual he has driven - that would suggest to me that you can.

unkel wrote:
    I beg to differ. I learned to drive in a country where the only way to drive for someone without a license is in a dual controlled vehicle with a qualified and licensed instructor

On average it typically took 6 hours of lessons for someone to control the vehicle (steering & gearing). It took 60 hours of lessons (median) to pass the test

A lot of passing the test over here is learning what they want you to know - it seldom has much to do with real driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,740 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    My relation is driving a manual - he passed a test in an automatic - this is the first manual he has driven - that would suggest to me that you can.
    well he eithe got lucky with the licence (not stating auto only) or he is drving without a valid licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ZOLTAN28 wrote:

Chances are he is driving illegally then. Ring a insurance company and ask them how they feel about someone driving a manual car with an auto licence and if it does anything to their policy. People like your relative are the reason road safety is so sh1t in Ireland.

And another thing.
    ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    The standard of driving is so bad because people drive too fast, drive too close and think they know it all and all other drivers are idiots.

Have to disagree with you here you have your cause and effect mixed up here. People drive an inappropriate speed for the conditions or their level of skill, (I hate the term speeding, it is too simple to cover a complex area) drive too close to other drivers and think they know it all because the standard of driving is so poor, not the other way round. This could be extended to include the standard of training, if people even bother with it in the first place.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    Chances are he is driving illegally then. Ring a insurance company and ask them how they feel about someone driving a manual car with an auto licence and if it does anything to their policy. People like your relative are the reason road safety is so sh1t in Ireland.

And another thing.

Have to disagree with you here you have your cause and effect mixed up here. People drive an inappropriate speed for the conditions or their level of skill, (I hate the term speeding, it is too simple to cover a complex area) drive too close to other drivers and think they know it all because the standard of driving is so poor, not the other way round. This could be extended to include the standard of training, if people even bother with it in the first place.

MrP

According to him - his insurance ok'd the switch - I am not defending his actions - I think it's a dangerous loophole in the law if it is legitimate - i will ahve to see if he has code 78 on his license.

Yeah - speeding is a bit general - and I agree training in this country is a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    According to him - his insurance ok'd the switch - I am not defending his actions - I think it's a dangerous loophole in the law if it is legitimate - i will ahve to see if he has code 78 on his license.

Yeah - speeding is a bit general - and I agree training in this country is a bit of a joke.

Just because the insurance OK'd the switch doesn't mean that they'll cover then if they are ever need it. They person who swapped the insurance over more then likely has no idea about manual v's auto licences and the laws regaurding them. But when you go to make a claim they'll have insurance assesors come out and check all the details and if they spot that the person isn't licenced to drive the type of vehicle then they will only cover for 3rd party and no more and also may chase them up for the money back.

All they have if they are driving on an incorrect licence is Garda insurance. If your stopped at a checkpoint your OK, but god help you if you crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He is driving without a driving license. And what Del2005 said. If he has a crash, he'll find himself uninsured. Very serious stuff, I hope you inform your relation of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ZOLTAN28 wrote:
    Let us go into reverse here.

Your relation, according to you, passed his D licence test driving an 'automatic' bus. Is he now driving a manual gearbox bus? Or a manual car? Maybe he had a full car licence before he got his bus licence? One of those no test backlog-clearing ones maybe?

Clerical errors happen. If your relation 'has' his licence due to such an error, he may be driving in a fool's paradise. However, this definitely does not mean that there many other drivers in a similar situation.

If you just want to educate your relation, ring or e-mail the DoE and get the real facts. Let us know how you get on.

Rest assured that there is no loophole here.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    Let us go into reverse here.

Your relation, according to you, passed his D licence test driving an 'automatic' bus. Is he now driving a manual gearbox bus? Or a manual car? Maybe he had a full car licence before he got his bus licence? One of those no test backlog-clearing ones maybe?

Clerical errors happen. If your relation 'has' his licence due to such an error, he may be driving in a fool's paradise. However, this definitely does not mean that there many other drivers in a similar situation.

If you just want to educate your relation, ring or e-mail the DoE and get the real facts. Let us know how you get on.

Rest assured that there is no loophole here.

I hope the loophole does not exist.

He got his driving license through the bus company - learned and passed in an automatic car then learned a passed with an automatic bus for his bus license - he has never driven a manual before. He is stil driving an automatic bus and also a manual car.

We will certainly be advising him of the dangers he faces.

I will check with the authorities and see what they say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement