Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident's parking permit?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

since the council decided to turn yet another road into pay and display parking, and didnt bother to inform the residents at all (well, I got a letter in September 05, stating that they're going to implement pay and display parking "some time soon"), and since the dozy mare I rang (had no internet over the weekend) in the council couldn't tell me anything AT ALL about resident's permits (she wasn't able to tell me what documents I need, how long it took, or in fact that the forms are available online, insisting I had to come in in person and collect the forms...), here some questions for you guys:

How long did it take (on average) to get the permit? Any problems to be anticipated, or is it relatively straightforward?

Does the council need proof of being on the electoral register, or is being on it enough? (and if they need proof, how do I get that?)

Anything else I need to look out for when applying for resident's parking?

Cheers
    galah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

How long did it take (on average) to get the permit? Any problems to be anticipated, or is it relatively straightforward?
    Took about 4 months for mine to arrive, during that time I rang and wrote to the council several times, including the director of the department

Does the council need proof of being on the electoral register, or is being on it enough? (and if they need proof, how do I get that?)
    I included a photocopy of the voter registration form which I sent in, they didn't ask me anything about it

Anything else I need to look out for when applying for resident's parking?
    No, just keep pushing them if they are not getting it out quickly enough, remind them that you are unfairly being charged money to park outside your home. Once you have it it's extremely easy to renew it or change your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

perfect, thanks!

geez, 4 months is unreal, can you reclaim the "unfairly" charged parking fees back at some point? I mean, at 1.80 Euro per hour, this will be rather costly...

(I'm still very much p*ssed off that they never told anyone, and just unveiled the new signs...b*stards) Anyways, off to see the peace commisioner now to get the form signed (all this stuff for a parking permit...unreal...)
    ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Took less time for me. Can't remember but I went here, filled in forms and had to ring once to push things along.

* A copy of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate/Log Book of the vehicle in your name at the address mentioned.
    * A copy of your Certificate of Motor Insurance in your name at the address mentioned.
    * A current utility bill in your name at the address mentioned (E.S.B./Telephone Bill/Bank Statement only).
    * You must be on the Register of Electors for the address mentioned.
    * You must have the Statutory Declaration fully completed.

Think it took a week extra because the officer in charge was away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

I lived on Merchant's Road about 3 years back. Took a day off, got the form from the council office, collected the bits and pieces of paperwork, walked into *random solicitors office* on Eyre Square with ID, they signed and stamped it in 5 minutes (for free!!!!), took it back up College Road, stood there being cranky till they got their act together, had it all sorted in about 2 hours total. Went to pub.

Had on-street parking all round Merchant's Road, Victoria Place etc for 2 years until I moved out. No probs, as long as you have the paperwork (VLC, rent book, passport/driving licence etc)

As usual when dealing with public sector bodies, just take no sh1te from them and insist you get it sorted RIGHT NOW. If you make it quite clear you aren't leaving till they get off their arses and sign the damn form already, you'd be amazed how productive the wasters can be.

wow, that sounds good - they issue the thing straight away???

I have all the paperwork done, and was going to see the council today - silly question, but what proof can I bring that I'm on the electorate register? Do they want a copy of the page, or will they check themselves?

And do they want the original bills (ESB, Eircom, etc), or will copies suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For me they checked their own system for register. http://www.checktheregister.ie/
    They will make copies themselves.

I'm not on the online register for some reason - but I KNOW I'm on the actual register, because I filled out a form ages ago, got it signed by the guards, and just before the election (or the census, not sue which one), someone came round and checked that my name on the register was correct...so I just hope they have a proper register set up, not just the crappy online one...

Anyways, I'll find out later, I guess...;-)

Advertisement