Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ger Kilroy the moron

• 11-06-2007 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

I now hate "the moron" that is Ger Kilroy. I always listen to “the moron” and Claire Byrne but this morning I was shocked that Gilroy completely spoiled the Sopranos for me after watching the show for 8 YEARS he gave away the ENDING OF THE FINAL SHOW!!!!!

I am extremely pissed off and aggrieved that he didn’t even say turn down your radio if you don’t want to hear what happened. A$$HOLE!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's Gilroy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

What a Muppet !
    He was OK when he started off doing the sport then he won some award and now has ideas way above his station .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If you'd kept on listening you would have heard that he was joking and he doesn't know how it ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Auvers wrote:
    I now hate "the moron" that is Ger Kilroy. I always listen to “the moron” and Claire Byrne but this morning I was shocked that Gilroy completely spoiled the Sopranos for me after watching the show for 8 YEARS he gave away the ENDING OF THE FINAL SHOW!!!!!

I am extremely pissed off and aggrieved that he didn’t even say turn down your radio if you don’t want to hear what happened. A$$HOLE!!

That's unreal!!! Seriously, it takes a tiny bit of cop on to think before you speak, and he must have/had to have thought about what he was going to say before blurting it out.....

OP, you should email them and complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

That's unreal!!! Seriously, it takes a tiny bit of cop on to think before you speak, and he must have/had to have thought about what he was going to say before blurting it out.....

OP, you should email them and complain
    He didn't spoil anything. He doesn't know how it ended...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Why would you keep listening though? If I thought somebody on the radio had ruined something like that for me I would switch off straight away and never listen to that show again. If it was a joke, its a pretty stupid one... I would imagine most ppl would switch straight off if they were Sopranos fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

to be fair I emailed newstalk to register my disgust and to my surprise Gilroy mailed me back.
    I got it wrong because I ripped the headphones from my head the minute he said it, but it was apparently a joke piece.

Here is the mail.

thanks for taking the time to email in...

but i am moved to ask - did you listen to the show? four times i said i didn't give the ending to the sopranos, i don't know what happened in the end of the sopranos, nor do i care to know until i see it. there has been speculation about all sorts of endings for months - i mentioned one at the end of our show this morning involving polonium 210 - do you honestly think the writers of the sopranos - known for their brilliant realism - were somehow going to involve the russian secret service in the course of one episode and allow tony soprano to be clipped in a plotline stolen from a bad john le carre novel?

we were pretty clear that it was a joke - i understand that eight or nine years of commitment to a television series is a longtime life choice, a quasi-religious experience even, and ultimately i respect your loyalty to the show, but really, there's no chance of me giving away the ending, i couldn't disrespect the show like that. ours or the sopranos.

cheers for listening and for emailing. rest assured you don't know what happens in the end of the sopranos.

ger

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sounds like a bit of a dumb joke. How did it end anyway?

Joke btw, never watched it..

Edit/ decent enough of him to mail back so promptly.

Auvers wrote:
    to be fair I emailed newstalk to register my disgust and to my surprise Gilroy mailed me back.
    I got it wrong because I ripped the headphones from my head the minute he said it, but it was apparently a joke piece.

Here is the mail.

but i am moved to ask - did you listen to the show? four times i said i didn't give the ending to the sopranos, i don't know what happened in the end of the sopranos, nor do i care to know until i see it. there has been speculation about all sorts of endings for months - i mentioned one at the end of our show this morning involving polonium 210 - do you honestly think the writers of the sopranos - known for their brilliant realism - were somehow going to involve the russian secret service in the course of one episode and allow tony soprano to be clipped in a plotline stolen from a bad john le carre novel?

we were pretty clear that it was a joke - i understand that eight or nine years of commitment to a television series is a longtime life choice, a quasi-religious experience even, and ultimately i respect your loyalty to the show, but really, there's no chance of me giving away the ending, i couldn't disrespect the show like that. ours or the sopranos.

cheers for listening and for emailing. rest assured you don't know what happens in the end of the sopranos.

ger

Fareplay to him .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Still an idiot though. Eamon Keane is another one who thinks he's it.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fair play to him for emailing back. I wouldn't say he's an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Yeah they were saying this morning they got tonnes of complaints so I'd say the mail was a stock reply. On the newspaper review this morning on the same show they mentioned how so many of the papers gave the ending away. Then the male reviewer in effect gave then ending away himself. Though in fairness to him you would have to have heard some of the rumours to know what he meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

polomium 210!!!!

What a way to end it.

Just as well I never watched, I'd feel cheated. Surely he'd get shot or something, being a gangster and all.

Popebenny I think you would want to spoiler your last comment & if you never watched it you could hardly comment on what you know squat about!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Well it made me laugh in the car. A few mins later he came back on and said he was joking so no big deal. Some people really over react to things.

Auvers wrote:
    Popebenny I think you would want to spoiler your last comment & if you never watched it you could hardly comment on what you know squat about!!!

:eek:

Irony is sort of like woody and plasticy to you, isnt it?

oh so your sort of woody or plasticy irony is socratic

Auvers wrote:
    oh so your sort of woody or plasticy irony is socratic

ah now, ted, enough of that. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Can we keep it on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wrestling fans ruined it for me :mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Gilroy and Bynre are very good, in my opinion, I enjoy listening in the mornings and sometimes the repeat. Graham Hunter and Johnny Giles soccer bits are good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ger Gilroy wrote:
    i understand that eight or nine years of commitment to a television series is a longtime life choice, a quasi-religious experience even

Don't think it's necessary for a high-profile journalist to resort to such sarcasm.

Plus, you'd think said high-profile journalist would use capital letters where necessary.

Dudess wrote:
    Don't think it's necessary for a high-profile journalist to resort to such sarcasm.

Plus, you'd think said high-profile journalist would use capital letters where necessary.

He does that quite a lot during the show dont know why its gets a bit annoying after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I heard this too ! Tought it was funny tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Wrestling fans ruined it for me :mad:.

Ditto :mad: :(

He does that quite a lot during the show dont know why its gets a bit annoying after a while.

he doesn't use capital letters during the show?! shame on him :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

thought it was very funny alright but the show itself is excellent,real alternative to morning ireland.Eamonn Keane on the otherhand is fierce annoying with his "c'mere like"every two minutes during an interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Auvers wrote:

Strange that....I was listening to R1 newsbeat yesterday evening where they announced how the whole show ended (and how upset fans were about it)....but they gave spoiler warnings THREE times beforehand, switch off yuour radio for 90 seconds etc. I don't like or watch the Sopranos, but I know damn well if someone spoiled the finale of something I'd been watching for 8 yrs, they'd be getting a piece of my mind...
    [edit] Just read rest of thread....even if it's a joke, as someone else said, any fan will turn off immeadiately....given the popularity of the show that's a lot of listeners poten tially switching off, and thusly not hearing Gilroy deliver the punchline....people have a right to be upset IMO

Certainly not the first time I've heard of an Irish broadcaster f*cking up on the spoiler front. RTÉ news are bastards for doing it when an international soccer match is airing on another channel. Not even a "look away now" before blabbering out the score...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

raven136 wrote:
    thought it was very funny alright but the show itself is excellent,real alternative to morning ireland.Eamonn Keane on the otherhand is fierce annoying with his "c'mere like"every two minutes during an interview
    I hate the way he calls everyone "the bowld" as in "the bowld Taoiseach"...... grrr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On Eamo, sorry the 'bould' Eamo someone e-mailed him about his annoying "come here" saying Keane sounded like a barfly (about to try and cadge a fag or free drink I presume), fair play that he read it out! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Auvers wrote:

Here is the mail.

ger

Did Gilroy really send the email like that? Where's the grammar?

Well, apart from the lack of capital letters, which is appalling, granted, the grammar and punctuation is actually ok. Not perfect, but I've read FAR worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

The guy has a degree in English from Trinity FFS!

Having an English degree doesn't guarantee good grammar/punctuation. It should, but it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

The use of hyphens in place of commas and full-stops is an interesting idea. No doubt Ger would have a witheringly smug riposte to that observation.

It is rather immature of him to get into such a long-winded reply. A simple acknowledgement of the complaint and apology would have done rather than going into tedious affected lines about "bad John Le Carre novels."

He seems as smug and insufferably cocky in the written word as he is on the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kylemore

Dudess wrote:
    Well, apart from the lack of capital letters, which is appalling, granted, the grammar and punctuation is actually ok. Not perfect, but I've read FAR worse.

Perhaps the shift key on his PC doesn't work !!!!

kylemore wrote:
    Perhaps the shift key on his PC doesn't work !!!!

That you Ger?

Probably not. They used capitals.

LOL true, true...

Advertisement