Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Traffic Shaping

Options
  • 11-06-2007 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

I'm convinced IBB are traffic shaping.

Our BB connection is shared wireless with the 4 of us in a rented house.

I was asked by our torrent downloader to have a look at our computer that was getting really slow speeds. Usually speeds would be .4KB/s to 3KB/s. The max it hit in that time was 20KB/s.

I encrypted the connection through the Utorrent preferences but it didn't work. Speeds went up but still topped out at about 20KB/s.

However, our download speeds were 200KB/s from Ms website and the torrent had a huge amount of seeds/peers. So I setup Utorrent for port 80 and what do you know, speeds jumped straight up to 150-200KB/s.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm with IBB. 2 pcs in our house use torrents. One uses ports 60000 - 600010. The other uses 40000. No probs with either getting max speeds down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

torrent client settings often have a 10:1 ratio set so if its 200k down it will be 20k up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We are 10KB/s up and 200KB/s down using UTorrent. I asked the torrent downloader in the house what he had set the shared to and max upload is 10KB/s

We are on a 2Mbps up/down package so the upload isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I presume port forwarding is set correctly? Utorrent has an easy wizard to check.
    There should be a green-white V in the middle bottom of your utorrent screen.

Something else that might be worth investigating is your wireless link.
    Torrents create a lot of connections and you have 4 users, it might be that your wireless router has a maximum connection set or even reaches a physical limit.

Try plugging in your computer directly on a ethernet port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The computer already is plugged in directly to the router. Port Forwarding was setup correctly. I checked all the settings on Utorrent and the router.

We even tried plugging the connection from the modem supplied by IBB to the computer as it is right beside the router and it still was stuck slow until I changed it to port 80.

• Advertisement
Advertisement