Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Rock moment.

• 11-06-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭

Ok i'll freely admit i'm not a fan of the guys matches, but was this guy ever awesome with a mic in his hand. So here's the thread to appreciate the one and only Duane Johnson.

I'll get the ball rolling when the Rock sings 12 days of christmas to Test :D
    VR!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the promo he did at mania x8 to hogan "when you feel butterflies in you hulkastomach and reach down to see if you still got a hulkastrudle!" and making coach say his prayers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

krudler wrote:
    the promo he did at mania x8 to hogan "when you feel butterflies in you hulkastomach and reach down to see if you still got a hulkastrudle!" and making coach say his prayers

The one he did on TV before NWO 2003 was funny as well
    "Whatcha gonna do when ya dududududuh" whilst putting on a geriatriac voice.

VR!

i do love the promo he did with hogan and kane as well "20,000 screaming kanenites!"

No Way Out 2002 when the NWO approach him.
    "you take that camera and shine it up real nice and then pass it to your buddy, yo chico-razor ramon... *does the pose*, then you pass it to Big Daddy Cool Diesel... *toot toot.... tooooot!*, turn it sideways and stick it aaaaal up your candy asses!"

VR!

"lillian,do you like......pie?"

• Advertisement

krudler wrote:
    "lillian,do you like......pie?"
    Just as The Rock thought....
    I also believe it was Mania 20 as well "Don't be looking at the peoples package Lilian... the buffet is CLOSED!!"

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

singing to the sacramento crowd; awesome :D

His angle with shane helms was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Just as The Rock thought....
    I also believe it was Mania 20 as well "Don't be looking at the peoples package Lilian... the buffet is CLOSED!!"

VR!

Then there was the "Lilian you are wet..........with perspiration from looking at the Rock"!

Also his "die die die" skit on the Undertaker around 2000 had me in stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

rossie1977 wrote:
    singing to the sacramento crowd; awesome :D

His angle with shane helms was great too.

I agree on both these counts. The rock concerts were great when he was a heel.

But probably my fave is the 3 skits dont with 'the hurricane'. They were quality. "who in the GREEN hell are you"!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

The time when he was telling HHH to shine his sledge hammer up real good "and stick straight up your candy butt"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

When he threw Shawn Stasiak out the ring 3 times in 5 seconds

"dont think you can get to the rock just because you know the rocks account,Ira GOLDBERG!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

WWE Championship match British Bulldog Pinning triple H i think . Thr Rock Is special guest ref

''1...............2......................It doesnt matter if the rock counts to three''

Actually i remembered a good one at Royal Rumble 99 against Mankind... simple but it made me break my balls laughing. But after he smashes Mankinds head into the ring bell, Rock grabs the mic and sings "bells will be riiinging!!".

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Doing Commentary During his matchs

'' Triple H looks like tarzan but fights like jane''
    ''the rock is checking mankind into the smackdown hotel''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's had loads of classic moments. Some of my favourites include the night after Wrestlemania 18 when the Montreal crowd were booing the sh*t out of him while he and Hogan were in the ring. Then Nash and Hall came out and Rock destroyed them on the mic and ended up winning over the fans. The line towards Nash was gold:

"Stand up there you and your punk ass friend. Big Daddy Cool? The Rock's ass. More like Big Daddy Bitch."

I read somewhere that Nash went to Vince to complain about that line. I really hope that's true. I also love the Rock Concert 2 special when he taunted Goldberg:

"You don't wanna wait to get your ass whooped this Sunday at Backlash? Bring your whisker-biscuit monkey ass in here and I'll kick your ass all over Atlanta!"

Another great one which isn't quite as well known is one from 2002 when he was feuding with Brock Lesnar. Triple H was in the ring and Lesnar and Heyman were sitting in the audience. Then Rock came out.

Triple H: "Hold on, who the hell do you think you are?"

The Rock: "Who is the Rock? You should know who The Rock is. You interrupt The Rock again he'll be the guy who'll step in that ring, tighten his boot and whoop your ass. (crowd cheers). Let The Rock break it down for you - the most electrifying man in sports and entertainment, The Rock. The Rock, Brahma Bull, Great One and oh yeah, The Rock is something you are not and that is Undisputed Champion so shut up bitch!"

He's a Hall of Famer just on his mic skills alone in my view. Sad that newer fans won't know how great wrestling was when he was around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

No Way Out 2002 when the NWO approach him.
    "you take that camera and shine it up real nice and then pass it to your buddy, yo chico-razor ramon... *does the pose*, then you pass it to Big Daddy Cool Diesel... *toot toot.... tooooot!*, turn it sideways and stick it aaaaal up your candy asses!"

VR!

haha yeah beat me too it... that is probably my fav Rock moment... God I miss The Rock.

And the last promo he did building up to the Trump/ Vince match only made me sad because it was so classic and we get so little quality stuff like that these days:(

I don`t think anyone in the history of wrestling can hold a candle to Rock in terms of promos (even Flair!)

woooo232 wrote:
    I don`t think anyone in the history of wrestling can hold a candle to Rock in terms of promos (even Flair!)

Unfair comparison. Flair was all about pointing out the obvious, telling it like it was and rubbing it in your face. Rock was more laid back, conservative and generally took the piss to get the crowd on his side and to rub his opponent up the wrong way.

They're both on the same level for those two different reasons in my honest opinion.

VR!

Unfair comparison. Flair was all about pointing out the obvious, telling it like it was and rubbing it in your face. Rock was more laid back, conservative and generally took the piss to get the crowd on his side and to rub his opponent up the wrong way.

They're both on the same level for those two different reasons in my honest opinion.

VR!

the rock is the best ever at working a crowd,ever. all he had to do was stop talking and tilt his head and the crowd would start chanting his name,great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The promo he cut after the rematch with Hogan, he was in Toronto and started off with "Finally, The Rock has come back to Toron...Toron...to run his mouth on all your candy asses". Most of the crowd kept cheering him though, he started slaggin them for cheering when he mentioned their city's name. By the end of it though, they were all chanting "asshole" at him, it was brilliant the way he was able to turn the crowd like that. I was never a big Rock fan before that, but the stuff he did during that heel run leading up to the match with Austin at WM, it was some of the best stuff I've ever seen

• Advertisement

VR!

I think that its exactly because two peoples styles are completely different that you can compare them... There would be no point comparing either of them with someone that tried to do the same thing. At the end of the day its a judgement call, but I rate Rocks promos higher than Flairs.

But just because they had different styles doesn`t mean that you can`t compare them. That would be like saying that you can`t argue whether Pele or Marradonna were the best because they had different styles and did things differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

That was before the Hell in a Cell, when there was about 8 guys in the match. I think it was when Rikishi was bad coz he hit Stone Cold with the car, around 2000? Armageddon, i thinkys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

That last one is the one I was talking about, he's able to manipulate the crowd so well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Rock is easly the best in the wrestling world on the mic. He can both hype up a crowd of his fans or rile them up as a heel so easy and be increadably entertaining to boot.

Compairing the Rock to Flair is a joke. The best mic worker being compaired to a muppet who spends 90% of his mic time saying "whooooooo" :rolleyes:

Hell if the WWE were to release a DVD of just his mic work they would make a killing on the sales :)

Archimedes wrote:
    Remember when the Big Show shaved his head? I loved the Rock when he said..

"the Rock only has one thing to say..... (starts singing) somebody got a haircut..."

He didn't shave it at the time... he had long hair but male pattern baldness set in so he got it cut short to nurse the bleeding (which didn't work). That was in 2000 a couple of weeks after the Royal Rumble. He didn't actually shave it completely bald until 2004.

VR!

Venom wrote:
    Compairing the Rock to Flair is a joke. The best mic worker being compaired to a muppet who spends 90% of his mic time saying "whooooooo" :rolleyes:

Spoken as someone who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and hasn't seen anywhere near his promos with the likes of Steamboat, Magnum TA or Dusty Rhodes in the NWA. Youtube a few and then come back to us...
    Hell if the WWE were to release a DVD of just his mic work they would make a killing on the sales :)

They did. It was called Just Bring it. There was a 2 disc version with the second disk a compilation of stuff he did from 99-02.

VR!

Venom wrote:

Thats ridiculous... Flair's promos are amongst the very best in wrestling. i may think that the Rock was better at delivering a promo, but that in no way takes away from how amazing Flair is on the mic.

If you say that Flair is nothing but a 'muppet who spends 90% of his mic time saying "whooooooo" you clearly have no idea about professional wrestling and should really buy the Flair or 4 Horseman dvd and see for yourself how amazing he is.

woooo232 wrote:
    If you say that Flair is nothing but a 'muppet who spends 90% of his mic time saying "whooooooo" you clearly have no idea about professional wrestling and should really buy the Flair or 4 Horseman dvd and see for yourself how amazing he is.

Quoted for motherfu*cking truth! And i'm not the biggest Flair fan on the planet, until a friend of mine who is advised me to watch his series with HHH from a couple of years back which completely changed my opinion of him. Ring wise he still has it, Promo wise he still has it. Which makes him better than Rock cos Rock didn't exactly have it ring-wise, he was always a sub-par athlete.

Again Venom, their styles were different, but if you think "whooo!" is all Flair used to get over you are so wrong on so many levels that it's almost laughable. Seriously get some of his promos against Steamboat in 89 where he mocks Steamboat for being a family man where Flair is a wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. And listen to the crowd reaction. Flair could work a crowd, to the point where he could carry Crockett Promotions on two legs for years.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

When Rock makes Vince kiss Rikishi's ass.....The whole buildup was brillant

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some of the above were brilliant alright, but my wrestling watching days were mainly 1997-1999, and 2003+ (apart from the Big Daddy era British wresting and WCW on ITV in the 80's), so I missed plenty of the rocks era. I remember when he started first though and I found it really entertaining when he joined up with Farooq and the Nation of domination. The time when he wanted to show his sorrow and remorse to Farooq and gave him a present which turned out to be a big picture of the Rock himself was just brilliant I thought.

5starpool wrote:
    The time when he wanted to show his sorrow and remorse to Farooq and gave him a present which turned out to be a big picture of the Rock himself was just brilliant I thought.

Hah after he gave Kama, D-Lo and Mizark Hizenry gold Rolexes! :D
    VR!

Jericho in WCW was just pure awesome, too bad not many people saw that stuff. Bore-Us Malenko was genius and the man of 1004 holds was comedy gold.

Also if you can dig out the Jericho introducing everyone at Slamboree 98 is worth checking out.

Anyway, back on topic here! I'll do a Jericho appreciation thread once this one dies down :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Anyone remember during Suumerslam 2001, Shawn Stasiak had decided to take out the Rock to impress Austin. Later, the Rock was doing a pre-match interview backstage. Inside of a one second period, Shawn charged screaming at the Rock, who simply stepped back, and Shawn slammed into a steel garage-type door. The Rock never even looked at him. Classic.

I think some of the moments when guys were able to out-do the Rock were great too, as he was so good. Remeber the build-up to Summerslam 2002, where Rock was to face Lesnar? There was one segment on Raw where Rock had been in the ring, and as he was heading up the ramp, Lesnar's music hit. Himself and Heyman walked right by the Rock without looking at him even once. Rock sold it brilliantly; pulling off his sun glasses and looking livid.

Anyone remember when Foley was interviewing the Rock, and he asked him how being champ again made him feel. The Rock was one sylable into his answer when Foley roared "IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW IT MAKES YOU FEEL!!!" before chgarging around the ring pumping his arms like a loon and chanting his own name while the Rock burst himself laughing. One of the funniest momnets in WWE history, if not the funniest.

I could really write all day about classic Rock moments. He was THST good. I loved his matches too. I would recommend finding his match against Eddie Guerrero from just after Vengeance 2002. Brilliance.

Wacker wrote:
    I would recommend finding his match against Eddie Guerrero from just after Vengeance 2002. Brilliance.

The pre-match promo was way better though. Rock singing La Bamba to Eddie Guerrero, and using cheech and chong references. :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The pre-match promo was way better though. Rock singing La Bamba to Eddie Guerrero, and using cheech and chong references. :)

VR!
    Did you see the reversal that Eddie Guerrero did on the Rock Bottom attempt? Clearly not if you think that promo was better. That reversal was better than the following equation:

the discovery of penicillin x the first two Godfather movies x Led Zeppelin x 1,000,000,000,000.

• Advertisement

Wacker wrote:
    Did you see the reversal that Eddie Guerrero did on the Rock Bottom attempt? Clearly not if you think that promo was better. That reversal was better than the following equation:

the discovery of penicillin x the first two Godfather movies x Led Zeppelin x 1,000,000,000,000.

Yes but the crowd reacted better to the promo than they did to the reversal. So you know where you can take your equation and stick it :D

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

there was a segment between him, goldust and booker t - it was hilarious, oh and him and the hurricane too was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

AHHHHHHHH theres too damn many of them

Advertisement