Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Pegaso wetsuit or look elsewhere?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

Im hoping to buy a wetsuit soon. I have a budget of around 200 euro and was tempted by a Pegaso suit in Lidls (2 suits and a hood for 150 yoyos) but I dont want to buy a turkey of a suit! Any recommendations as to whats the best buy for around 200euros?

I got a loan of an Oneill Psycho for my 1st surf trip last weekend but I thinks its a bit out of budget!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

That one is probably a bit thick for surfing. Your arms will be restricted when paddling. Go into one of the surf shops around as they often have good ones for about €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Cheers. I think ill leave it. I wont use the 2nd suit or the hood so it would be waist to buy them in the pack.Might try and get an O Neill Epic for around 200 bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Got a pegaso shorty a few weeks ago for 30 quid, I used it a couple of times and it's great for the price, you cant go too far wrong....or can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The shortie or thinner ones are grand. Have one myself as a second wetsuit but the diving ones on sale at the moment are too thick for surfing. I'd never be put off because of a brand name once the quality is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Any good watersports or surfing shop will be able to advise you. Get one with sealed seams - the 3mm lidl suit do not. The water just flushes in and out through the seams if they are not sealed ( glued in the middle or taped etc ). This rules out the 3mm lidl suits. As regards the 150 euro lidl suits, I agree with the previous posters, the thicker lidl suit on offer at the moment are not really suitable for paddling or surfing. € 200 - or even € 150 depending what / where you buy - will get you a decent 5mm suit with 3mm arms which is the thickness most surfers who surf most of the year would get. You do not need any fancy brand names - there are plenty of long established brands who have been designing and making suits for northern Atlantic waters for many years eg Gul, C-Skin, Sola , etc all of whom would have suits in this price range. You could go for a budget 3mm suit - you may just get away with it now but it would definitely be too cold in the winter/ Spring etc. Enjoy the sport anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Ah yeah, shouldve mentioned it's my 2nd suit, I have a 5x3 circle 1 for the colder months! I picked that up for €120 at the time in surfdock, they usually go for €170 as far as I can remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

they had 5mm dive suits a while back so they may get them back in again
    they were going for €90

Cheers guys for the advice.

Ive taken the comments on baord, & Ive decided not to get the Lidl deal (2 suits + hood for 150 euros). I went into Surfdock today and bought an Oneill Epic 5/3 suit for 200 euros. I heard that surf boards can be rented on the west coast, but I need to check this out for sure. I hope I can rent them in Lahinch ideally, even a foam board will do me. Still an eager rookie!

I heard there is all sorts of insurance issues with board rental resulting in less places eager to rent them. Does anybody know how much they are to rent roughly?

Realistically, myself and maybe 1 or 2 other guys will be going down, so I was wondering if renting a board is not possible, can you tag in with a group of more folks and do the 2 hour lessons from around 25euro? (Seems like the surf schools do lessons with around 10-15 people, but I dont that many people into the sport!)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

you can rent wetsuits and boards in ocean scene in Lahinch

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

They rent boards at Tramore and Garretstown.

• Advertisement

Great. At least a few places rent them in different parts of Ire. I rang oceanscene, and they rent boards for 20euro for 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 obliqueraven

I suggest you check out ebay...There are loads of people selling very cheap good wetsuits...
    Check out http://stores.ebay.ie/SOUTH-SURFING-PRODUCTS
    This guys shop is very reasonably priced I made him an offer of £70 stg for:
    NEIL PRYDE 5000 LOW CUT ROUND TOED BOOTIE NEW
    MENS BODYGLOVE 3/2 LINK FULL SUIT 2007 WETSUIT
    NEIL PRYDE 5 HALF FINGER AMARA NEW GLOVES SIZE LARGE
    and he accepted inclusive of P&P ...
    works out at about €106 for the lot...can't beat that if you ask me..
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sallygap

I have a pegaso shortie I got in lidl(or aldi?) last summer. I've used it alot without any problems. I have a different suit for winter but for summer it's great and if i recall it was only around €60!

Yeah, alot of folks seem to give the Lidl suits a thumbs up based on their price. A pal of mine got a 2nd hand O Neill Psycho for 200euro, off eBay. Not bad. I might end up getting a board off there!

Advertisement