Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much money to travel around the world

• 11-06-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

The girlfriend and myself are planning to travel around the world next year through most of Asia and a short time in Austraila and New Zealand and the states. We are only going for around 4-5 months in total. Can anyone give me an indication as to how much money we will need to bring with us?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm heading off in January, I was thinking of bringing 4-5k. I'm just going for four months myself. The euro is worth more than all of the currencies especially the Thai Baht which you get 43bahts for 1euro.

Singapore is the dearest when it comes to drink coz of the 'sin tax'. $6-10 for a beer there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

i'm going around the world next may for a year and i have it worked out at around 12 grand or so. i added up all expenses and it came to a little over 12 grand. going to america, cuba, south america, new zealand, australia, thailand, laos, cambodia and vietnam. i plan on working in new zealand for 2 months or so just to earn a little money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

i'm going around the world next may for a year and i have it worked out at around 12 grand or so. i added up all expenses and it came to a little over 12 grand. going to america, cuba, south america, new zealand, australia, thailand, laos, cambodia and vietnam. i plan on working in new zealand for 2 months or so just to earn a little money back.

When you say you added all your expensives- is this including flights, insurance, jabs etc? trying to budget myself also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

descry wrote:
    When you say you added all your expensives- is this including flights, insurance, jabs etc? trying to budget myself also!

yeah it includes everything. took a good few weeks to come up with the figure. it includes the price of the round the world flights, i booked the world discovery plus package with usit. i added up the price of the flights i require myself, such as getting from miami to cuba through a gatewat city. i looked up the daily cost of living in all countries and read through forums how much i should expect to spend and so forth. i'm also doing a 10 week tour with a guide in south america and a 30 day rail pass with amtrak so that increases the spending a bit. i included how much i expect to pay in each country for accommodation also. and the insurance and visa to work in new zealand is included too. as well is all vaccinations.

i allowed a little leeway on verything, for example everyone says $20 is well enough spending money in south america, so i brought it up to $22

the total i got was €12,600. so i have the potential to spend less than that, but then again it could end up costing more. i'm not going till end of may 2008 so just gonna put by 250 minimum a week till then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Im glad you said it had included it, I have the insurance and flights booked as well as some separate flights. I should have 7000-8000 euro leaving so I was hoping that'd get me through the year! Im planning on working for a few months too... there's always my credit cards to abuse ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement