Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Licence Renewal?

Options
  • 06-06-2007 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

As per subject. I rang them but can't get through. There was a recorded message saying there was a 3 week process delay on driving licences.

Have I any chance if I call into them with all the required documentation etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Talk VERY nicely to the person behind the counter and they'll probably sort you out.

Or maybe lie and say you're going to the north and don't want to drive up there with just the receipt, all the time being VERY nice to the person behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

nice eh? well i'm going on holidays next week and want to rent a car so at least my act will be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Get the licence in Ballymun rather than the city centre tax office. They typically send out the licence next working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What county council are you going to Quarryman? (thought i remembered your location being maynooth previously)

I put my full license application in on a Wednesday and had it the following monday from Naas... certainly not 3 weeks.

My girlfriend dropped hers into Clondalkins tax office about a month ago on a Thursday afternoon and had it posted out to her what must have been immediately as she got it the very next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Just do what I did:

dig out an old ryanair (or other) flight itinerary which is usually in plain text. Edit the text to make it look like you'll be flying somewhere in the next day or two and that you're going to need the license to rent a car while on hols. print the itinerary and show it to them. again, be nice and they should do it for you there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

They will not do it there and then. The quickest you can expect is overnight. They will always only post it out..................otherwise you'd have everybody and anybody looking for licences and giving false addresses !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

MercMad wrote:
    They will not do it there and then. The quickest you can expect is overnight. They will always only post it out..................otherwise you'd have everybody and anybody looking for licences and giving false addresses !

dude, im not discounting what you are saying but i certainly had mine within one day. i went in nice and early, explained my situation and was told to call back later that afternoon. now im sure that my experience is the exception to the rule, but there is no harm in asking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What county council are you going to Quarryman? (thought i remembered your location being maynooth previously)

I put my full license application in on a Wednesday and had it the following monday from Naas... certainly not 3 weeks.

My girlfriend dropped hers into Clondalkins tax office about a month ago on a Thursday afternoon and had it posted out to her what must have been immediately as she got it the very next day.

yeah i'll be going to Nass office as i live in Kildare. i was told i need to get it done in the county office.

thanks for the replies, I'm going to print up my itenerary and call out today.

MercMad wrote:

Yes you can. It depends on how nicely and politely you deal with the person behind the counter. They can use the address they have on file from your last license.

Maybe bring proof of address with you to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Fey! wrote:
    Yes you can. It depends on how nicely and politely you deal with the person behind the counter.

How can you be so sure?

In the Naas tax office there is 2 windows specifically for driving license issues, when I got there both were free and there was no queue behind me. That would have been a chance to do it up on the spot but they didnt. I was told it would be printed up that evening and sent out tomorrow, which it was.

Probably too late now Quarryman but maybe it could have been posible to request to collect it the next day.

• Advertisement

How can you be so sure?

Experience, but I deal with those nice, efficient ladies in the Galway tax office.

MercMad wrote:

don't be so sure. like i said, mine was issued while waiting at the counter. all done in the space of five minutes.

MercMad wrote:
    don't be so sure. like i said, mine was issued while waiting at the counter. all done in the space of five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I got mine next day I think. Said I was going to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Mine was due a renewal and to my surprise got it within 3 days, nice eh? :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I got one same day too,in nutgrove and the place was jammers at the time.

As said just be nice and explain your story,the girl i got was more than happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

eireal wrote:
    I got one same day too,in nutgrove and the place was jammers at the time.
    I was there yesterday, Bangalore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Although some posters may have received their license over the counter, it certainly is not the proper procedure. For security reasons, licenses should only be posted to the address given.

Driving Licence

Can I get my licence over the counter?

No, under Driver Licensing Regulation all licences issued in the Motor Tax Offices must be posted out to the driver. Licences taken in at the public counter are normally posted out the following working day.

Can I download a driving licence application form from the internet?

No, there is a peel off sticker on the form thus it cant be downloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I wish I hadn't applied to the tax office behind the four courts now .. must be the slowest in Dublin :(

ciaranfo wrote:
    I wish I hadn't applied to the tax office behind the four courts now .. must be the slowest in Dublin :(
    Perhaps it's because the office moved several weeks ago! :eek: It's now on a new street (name?) opposite the junction of Queen Street and Blackhall Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I never had to wait for a licence to be posted , i always get it there and then in the county hall in Cork .

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

ciaranfo wrote:

dunno about that - went in with my stuff on Thursday 3 May (passed test on 2 May :)) and had my licence out in the post on Tuesday 8 May (the day after the bank holiday).

How long ago did you apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

dude, im not discounting what you are saying but i certainly had mine within one day. i went in nice and early, explained my situation and was told to call back later that afternoon. now im sure that my experience is the exception to the rule, but there is no harm in asking
    Yes you can. It depends on how nicely and politely you deal with the person behind the counter. They can use the address they have on file from your last license.

Maybe bring proof of address with you to be sure.

.............and others !

Okay, my apologies, I stand corrected !

Its good to hear that burea..........bureac....bureacr.........ahem...........Red Tape doesnt stand in the way of logic ALL the time ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I was surprised to read that people were waiting for licences in the post. Ic cork, you get it there and then.. no waiting no post . :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was stopped by the gards with an out of date provisional :o ... I have to present an up to date one at my local garda station in by Sunday.. Someone told me that I could just walk into the Motor Tax Office with the old licence and my pics and they'd do one up for me there and then... Is this true??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think they have to stick it in the post to ensure that the address on it is correct, but it'll only take a day or two to get to you. Im not sure if they'll do it there and then... guess no harm in asking though.

Between now and then is plenty of time though if you get on it right away (dont leave it till friday based on 'someones' advice ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

have a look at this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055103536

seems like some motor tax offices will do it on the day(cork will) and others will only post it to you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Depending on which provisional you were on and is now expired, you may need
    one of the following before they'll renew it. You might have fun if you need to
    get a letter showing you've applied for a test so you can get your next
    provisional so you can show it to the police within 10 days.

Third or Subsequent Provisional Licence
    You may not apply for a third or subsequent provisional licence in respect of a particular vehicle category unless you submit either of the following with your application:-

(a) evidence of having undergone a driving test in the vehicle category in question in the two year period prior to the application.
    (In such instance a two year provisional licence will be granted)
    (b) evidence of having applied for a driving test in respect of the vehicle category in question.
    (In such instance a one year provisional licence will be granted).

http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/provisional/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1837#ProvisionalLicence

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement