Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Drive Borked

• 11-06-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I started getting I/O errors in linux and CRC errors in windows and it was making a clicking noise as if the power was faltering. When I turned it on today it seemed to be making a weak attempt to start but failed to get going(i.e. the disk isn't spinning).

Is this likely to be the controller or the hard disk its self and would buying a caddy or enclosure work?

There is nothing of great importance on it but it would still be quite shit to lose everything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Id say its the hard drive alright. doesn't sound good. Have you tried mounting the partition (s) in Linux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

sorry, have been away. I have and I was getting I/O errors but now it doesn't even start so no hardware is registered at the USB controller. What I'm wondering is whether I could open it and transfer the hard drive inside into a new hard disk enclosure or is it likely that it's not just the controller that's worn out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

How about just putting it in your PC? I assume they're just normal 3.5" ATA or SATA disks inside those yokes (2.5" for the small ones - you can get cable adaptors for putting them in desktops though).

I've only got a laptop I'm afraid:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

would you be able to borrow one just to test it? I really doubt its the controller but its worth checking.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think so but I'm going to have to replace it and so I could buy an enclosure and if it is the hard drive that's the problem I could buy a new hard drive and use the enclosure. Wouldn't be the ideal situation though.

Are some external hard drives more reliable than others?

Advertisement