Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Mathematics : Paper Two Opinion

Options
  • 11-06-2007 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Just finished paper two. Just like paper 1 it was a very easy paper. The C parts were slightly trickier than usual I found though but Question 8 was very simple. I got 50/50 in question 1 but the hard parts was the two c parts of the trigonometric bits involving the diagrams.

Overall, a very easy paper complemented with the easy paper 1 we had.

Definitely got 70%+>

Watcha think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I'd say I got 70% but I thought it was a horrible paper. I got 8 and 1 out. 6 c was a total mess. 3c was a bit weird. I forgot the proof for sin(A+B).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

3c was abstract compared to previous years. I never touched probability as I never know if Im right.

What answer did people get for Integral of Tan-1 dx....I got Pi/4 + 1/2Loge2.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Got the two trigo c's out perfectly but what worries me is that if the standard of them questions is low then marks will be reallocated to the part B or whatever. I had just a few wee slips here and there but it was a grand paper over all , no complaints as long as they dont shift the marks too much.

/EDIT yeah lucas i got the same as that but i also put it in a decimal form too

What way do you go about getting the C parts for Trig out??? I guessed of getting values in H and using the Cosine Formula??

get |pr| and |rq| in terms of h using the sin rule (from the upright triangles) and then using the cosine rule (on the ground plane) you can find the angle then (you can put in values for h at the cosine rule stage) .

//edit the other one is slightly too complicated to explain here but you divide acb into a triangle and a sector etc

• Advertisement

I got values for the two sides actually so I must have got half-marks at least and did use the cosine rule..... :)

I got 120 degrees to anyone if it matters ...

I would also like to be able to say wh00t to no more maths , but I just realised I apllied for engineering so that aint gonna happen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cormac17

what was part a in question 8??!!! defo didnt get that out:(:(

CE High five for 120 :D

Hopefully they'll take all the marks from 3c.

I got pi/8 or pi/4 I'm not sure for 8c...

Answer => p = 1/2

p+q = 1
    q=1-p
    pq=p(1-p)
    pq=p-p^2

and then get the diferentiation and let it equal to 0

(i could be wrong with that though)

• Advertisement

Aye, that's how I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Damn I didn't differentiate it.. meant to go back to that one too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

Bitch of a paper..Some answers I got...Q5c angle prq = 120
    Q3bii Ratio = 1:2
    Q3cii 7K=-9l
    Q8a p=1/2
    Q8c ans: Pi/4 - ln[root2] (same as Pi/4 - 1/2ln[2])
    Anyone get any of these answers?

got all of them as well apart from 8c
    Sigh :(

I got the ratio 1:4 but its not worth getting into anyway....

7k=-9L Tho wh00t , my mind at rest some more there

did you get root 2: root 8?
    A lot of people thought that's 1:4

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anybody else get when w=1, r=3 and when w=6 r=10 for part 6c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

could of been alot worse...
    was question 6b the difference proof?..question 7 was the giveaway one imo,
    somehow my 8c cancelled out...amyone else get that??

@carlowboy
    well then i guess one of them was me , Ballix :mad:

Ah well , one blunder isnt gonna get me down at this stage

@Your Man .. pretty sure it shouldnt have cancelled out completely , read up^^^ for what we all got

CE,I'm pretty certain that's only a slip, so you'll only lose 1 mark I'd say which is nothing really.

JMcCrohan- I got the r= 3 but didn't have the patience and stopped on the fecking part where I was on w=6. Too time consuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Absolutely lovely paper, delighted! Only one I had trouble with was 4 C (2).. kept getting pi/2 + 1 = pi/2.. Hopefully got my A1 overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Not an easy paper, but I should have done better....

What I didn't get:
    1(c) - I don't want to talk about it, I'm fúcking retarded. -10/-15
    3(c)(iii) - Probably an obvious answer, just couldn't think. -5
    4(c)(ii) - I spent ages on this, my mistake was stupidly taking the whole bottom section as a sector. I realised this with 2 mins to go and wrote down the proper diagram(ie. get the area of a small sector with 2alpha and of the triangle with 2 sides of length r) -5
    5(c) - Everything was fine in this, but I think I just got the substitution wrong(I did something stupid and ended up with cosA = 1/6) -3

So I've quite possibly lost between 23 and 28 marks there depending on how much I get for what I wrote in 1(c).

I calculated I lost around 15 to 18 marks on paper 1, and on both papers I'm not sure about any small mistakes in either paper, I haven't counted attempt marks though.

I might just scrape the A1.....

Such a bitch if I get an A2 and 1(c) was the reason, it'll haunt me forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

was paper two considerably easier than paper 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

christ I thought that was hard...Completely forget how to prove sin(A+B). In the vectors c) question, were you suppose to cancel out the t somehow, or leave it there???And question Q3c)ii), the relationship between k and l...how do that? was dv = dx in question 8c)? AHH i should have dropped down 2 pass last week!! :(:confused::(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

carlowboy wrote:
    JMcCrohan- I got the r= 3 but didn't have the patience and stopped on the fecking part where I was on w=6. Too time consuming.

ye i was about to doctor my results from the w=4 quadratic cause it was goin on forever. had a quick lash at w=6 at the end and it gave a quadratic with r=10 and the other root was the other solution we had already found (r=3)

EDIT: Typo meant to say r

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

I'm sooo annoyed!! Why didnt they tell you to integrate it by parts?? i started to do this really complicated thing i learned from the book. you 1/1+xsquared = the integral of tan-1 and integrated it again!! i probably got 0/20 in that :(

ya whoever said they got w=6 and r=10 i got w=6 and r=15:confused:

eZe^ wrote:
    Absolutely lovely paper, delighted! Only one I had trouble with was 4 C (2).. kept getting pi/2 + 1 = pi/2.. Hopefully got my A1 overall.

Yip got that too. did u cancel down to get sinx=cosx and let x then be 45degrees???

hopefully its somthing small

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

jmccrohan wrote:
    Yip got that too. did u cancel down to get sinx=cosx and let x then be 45degrees???

hopefully its somthing small

I did something really abstract... I found the area of the sector whos radius was 2rcosA and angle was 2A. Halved it, and let it equal to the area of semicircle with 2rcosA as its diameter. Id have to write it out to explain it any better.

I'm sooo annoyed!! Why didnt they tell you to integrate it by parts?? i started to do this really complicated thing i learned from the book. you 1/1+xsquared = the integral of tan-1 and integrated it again!! i probably got 0/20 in that :(

I did the exact same bloody thing. it was the estimating pi thingy in the book. i integrated it twice and found the sum to infinity... needless to say i got an answer of 0. and im prob gonna get marks of 0 aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

Lucas10101 wrote:
    What answer did people get for Integral of Tan-1 dx....I got Pi/4 + 1/2Loge2.??

yes!!!!!! :D i hope we're right!

Advertisement