Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Higher Mathematics : Paper Two Opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

jmccrohan wrote:
    I did the exact same bloody thing. it was the estimating pi thingy in the book. i integrated it twice and found the sum to infinity... needless to say i got an answer of 0. and im prob gonna get marks of 0 aswell!

Yay I'm not the one who did that!! hopefully loads more people did the same and then we can at least get attempt marks...

what pisses me off even more is that the same question is in the book and ive done the question before. its in my copy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

DAMN!! for 4 part (c) (i)

i thought it was the length of the arc ab ya had to measure... dats defo a 0

What did ye get for the real number k in the vector question??

i got k=5Root3/12 ????? Dont think this is rite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

eZe^ wrote:
    I did something really abstract... I found the area of the sector whos radius was 2rcosA and angle was 2A. Halved it, and let it equal to the area of semicircle with 2rcosA as its diameter. Id have to write it out to explain it any better.

I did exactly the same......just didn't finish it off haha so maybe attempt marks. I'd say there'll be 5 going for that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^It was 5root3 over somethign anyway, you're probably right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ron-burgandy

delighted to see the difference equations proof and the sin(a+b) proof. 40 marks yeah

Say I got a B1 overall, I is chuffed

• Advertisement

Shox wrote:
    DAMN!! for 4 part (c) (i)

i thought it was the length of the arc ab ya had to measure... dats defo a 0

i dont think for Q4(c) you could take that as the area of a sector of a circle because the 2 lengths are different.

i got that too! ya its kinda a weird number alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

r=15 w=6 i agree.. Im sure thats right..(I think anyway) sure r=15 w=6 then 15/21 x 14/20 = 210/420 = 1/2 which is p=1/2 which is what was given..

r=10 w=6 gives p not equal to 1/2 by my calculations..

Overall handy paper im happy enough.. Made a mess of 8 but that was expected never knew how do to them as was going to do question 9 but then never studied that so left my self pretty screwed for section B.

Adam

Shox wrote:
    i got k=5Root3/12

Well I got it too so yay!

I think you could have the scaler t as 1? That's what my teacher told me after. I did it...so I'm hoping he's right. Couldn't get part (iii) though. Possibly 5 marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,463 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For someone of my standard, I felt it went well. I'm not going to shoot out the lights in hons. Maths, but I feel after today I may have scraped an honour, which I would be delighted with.

Q8 was just horrible for me. I was never good at that option, always found something to be a bitch, so I got sweet FA in that. then again, that differential theorom came up, as did a few others which I nailed, then Q7(c), which I never expected to go near, was amazingly easy.

Definately should get my pass in it, but it'll be borderline with the honour

if i got what i tink i did correct includin my attempt marks.. i make it out as 89.33%...

God id be gutted if 3/4 marks are the difference between 10 extra points!!!

• Advertisement

i got the c(iii) of the vector question by provin that <por = <roq

took a while t work it out but delighted when it did!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

ya whoever said they got w=6 and r=10 i got w=6 and r=15:confused:

Yeah i got r=15 too, and so did others in my class.

Overall i thought it went well, much better than paper 1 so i may just have salvaged the A1

From what Shox is going by now, I don't think I did badly at all! There may be an A1 in there for me after all. Thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Answers:
    1(a):
    x^2 + y^2 - 10x - 24 = 0

(b):
    (i) r1 = 2root2, r2 = root2 and d = root2
    Since d = r1 - r2 they touch internally
    (ii) (4,5)

(c):
    (x-3)^2 + (y-5)^2 = 25

2(a):
    -8i -3j

(b):
    (i) ab.b is not equal to zero
    (ii) 5root3/12 (can someone clarify that this is correct?)

(c):
    (i) t(4i + 7j)
    (ii) p.r = 40t ; q.r = 104t
    (iii) (p.r/¦p¦¦r¦)=(q.r/¦q¦¦r¦), therefore r is on the line that bisects poq

3(a):
    3/2 (I think I got this wrong, fúck)

(b):
    (i)easy
    (ii)1:2

(c):
    (i)Get point of intersection, plug it in and it = 0
    (ii)9k + 7l = 0
    (iii) ?????

4(a):
    easy

(b):
    x = 30, 150, 199, 340(341?)

(c):
    (i)rsin2A/sinA = 2rcosA
    (ii)Not bothered to type it out.

5(a):
    2/3

(b):
    Easy.

(c):

(I didn't do 6 or 7, pity, 7 looked piss easy, damn exam panic)

8(a):
    1/2

(b):
    easy

(c):
    pi/4 - ln(root2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

That wz a disgusting paper. I failed it miserably. I hope to god my paper one was over 50% cuz that paper wz close to 30%. I'll ****ting it all summer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

Shox wrote:

Got that too, thank god!!!:D
    I might pass...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

and that tan-1 wz supposed to be integrated by parts! F U C K sake. u'd think they'd say it like they did every other F U C K I N G year.

my friend integrated it all perfectly, but never saw the limits at all!!
    Kick in the stones

Shox wrote:
    my friend integrated it all perfectly, but never saw the limits at all!!
    Kick in the stones

well at least your friend integrated it. I didnt.

thats true!

Did anyone get 3/2 for area of triangle 3(a)

for some reason i spent ages at it, tinkin i was wrong!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

I integrated fine but kept getting zero when I subbed in the limits.........can't beliave I didn't get 1(c) how easy was that (radius = y value) im such an idiot thats gonna annoy me all summer coz thats my A gone coz of that question messed up the vectors aswel but everything else was fine Q7 talk about easy and doesn't seem like anyone did it:p :p

Just did a conservative estimate of what I could have gotten I and its about 91%. I'd be delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

Oh thank god! It was so much better than I imagined it to be! A few tricky bits but that's to be expected, delited overall though, much better than paper 1 :D

carlowboy wrote:
    Just did a conservative estimate of what I could have gotten I and its about 91%. I'd be delighted!

I really would delioghted to bein dat side of da 90!!!

Hope I didn't do any mistakes to bring me down but from what people got in their answers in Paper 2, I did ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sheroo_05

I'm sooo annoyed!! Why didnt they tell you to integrate it by parts?? i started to do this really complicated thing i learned from the book. you 1/1+xsquared = the integral of tan-1 and integrated it again!! i probably got 0/20 in that :(

I did the same. the ques was phrased very badly. beside that i thought it was OK. jus a few tricky C part 2s....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

jmccrohan wrote:
    ye i was about to doctor my results from the w=4 quadratic cause it was goin on forever. had a quick lash at w=6 at the end and it gave a quadratic with r=10 and the other root was the other solution we had already found (r=3)

EDIT: Typo meant to say r

aha it caught you out, nearly got me too, I actually wrote "nearly got me there" beside it on the exam script...

the quadratic was

r^2 - 13r -30

and you wrote

(r - 3)(r - 10) but -10 times -3 is thirty

it was actually

(r - 15)(r + 2)

so r = 15, w = 6

i checked it in the initial formula and it worked out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

let's make an answer list :) Here's my version, if you see anything that's wrong then post the correct answer and say why (please, so we can avoid stupid "my word is better than yours" arguments)

1. (a) x^2 + y^2 - 10x - 24 = 0
    (b) (ii)co-ords = (4,5)
    (c) x^2 + y^2 - 6x - 10y + 9 = 0

2. (a) y=-8i - 3j
    (b)(ii) k=5root3/12
    (c)(i) r=t(4i + 7j)
    (c)(ii) p.r = 40t q.r = 104t
    (c)(iii) i just divided by the moduli, and they were both 8, but I'm not sure if that's "hence" enough, any other methods appreciated.

3. (a) 3/2
    (b)(ii)1:2
    (c)(ii)9l+7k=0
    (c)(iii) the line 5x-7y+4=0 because no matter how large l becomes, it never reaches that.

4.(b)30, 150, 199, 341
    (c)(i)2rcosA
    (ii)draw a line from o to c
    the sector, ocb has angle 2A and area 2Apir^2/2 = A*pi*r^2
    the triangle aoc has base ac=2rcosA and height rsinA therefore, area = 1/2 * 2rcosA * rsinA = 1/2 *r^2 * sin2A
    these two areas together make half the area of the semi circle = pi*r^2/2
    A*pi*r^2 + 1/2*r^2*sin2A = pi*r^2/4 r^2 and pi cancle
    2A + sin2A = pi/2

5.(a) 2/3
    (c) 120 degrees

6. (a) (i) 6! = 720
    (a)(ii) 5!*2!= 240
    (c)(i) p = r(r-1)/(w+r)(w+r-1)
    (c)(ii) r=3
    (c)(iii) w=6 r=15

7.(a) (i) 7nCr4= 35
    (a)(ii) 35 - 4nCr4 = 34
    (b)(i) 1/6 + 4/26 = 5/18
    (b)(ii) 11/36
    (c)(i) a + 3d

8(a) p=1/2
    (c) I'm too tired to type the entire solution here, i got pi/4 - ln2/2 but feel free to disagree.

if i am sniped i'll be so pissed...

edit, all is the same as JC except for 3cii, checking it now... Jc is right.

did anyone know how to do the very last part of the line question... when k=1 what line is impossible or somethin.... i hadnt a clue??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I got 3/2 for the area of the triangle, but then I did again with two different points, and got 9/2, however, if 3/2 is right I get the marks.

TBH, I effed that paper up, struggled too much and spent too much time on some questions. I didn't cop on to the 5(c) until the end and didn't have enough time to complete it fully, was annoyed at myself because it was really obvious. However, I did ok at some parts, the circle was weird for me, didn't get b(ii) despite the fact I knew the axis was the chord, I just wasn't thinking straight for that exam. Slightly gutted, I ownder when that Maynooth Maths exam is, I may have to rely on that to get my course now, which means I have to go to Maynooth. Is it still open, ahhh, bugger, an' all that. Here's hoping I did enough to get a C or a B

Advertisement