Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Mathematics : Paper Two Opinion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

Oh well it's only 7 marks disappeared(i think)
    but when i add that on to the other 292 marks i lost... it adds up!
    not much we can do bout it now... unless we catch up with the van or find a key and change them before they're sent off...

I'm gonna try that now actually ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Whim

For 7(a) it didn't say if repetition was allowed. I think that's where the confusion's come from.

I did 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 = 840 and said that was with no repetition and then said if repetition was allowed if was 7c4, just to cover myself.

Surely "different selections" means repetition isn't allowed.

On a side note, I just realised that I get an Irish bonus(something in the region of 10 extra marks depending on what I actually get), and I may have not have lost my A1 after all :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

JC 2k3, I know the ins and outs of the irish bonus. Its 5% which is half what it is for other subjects, and it gradually decreases once you get over 70% and there isn't any once you reach 90% IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Whim

Surely "different selections" means repetition isn't allowed.
    Really there's two ways of looking at that phrasing. That it's picking different letters or different letters in different orders. Like would you consider FLOR a different selection to FLOF? I know I would. But it's not really up to me. Just looked worth noting.

carlowboy wrote:
    JC 2k3, I know the ins and outs of the irish bonus. Its 5% which is half what it is for other subjects, and it gradually decreases once you get over 70% and there isn't any once you reach 90% IIRC.
    There is one over 90%, it's a sliding scale after 226/300.

In paper 1 I got around 275 - that's 4 extra marks
    In paper 2 I got around 260 - that's 6 extra marks

275 + 260 = 535, which is an A2.

But with the extra 10 marks I'd get 545, which is an A1.

See the table at the bottom of last year's marking scheme: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2006/LC003ALPO00EV.pdf

Cheers JC2K3. I stand corrected and glad to tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Whim wrote:
    Really there's two ways of looking at that phrasing. That it's picking different letters or different letters in different orders. Like would you consider FLOR a different selection to FLOF? I know I would. But it's not really up to me. Just looked worth noting.
    i checked both english and irish papers to try and figure out what they meant and I *think they meant the letters are not replaced and the order the letters are in doesn't matter (FLOR=ROFL) which would 7nCr4 but I'm not sure. The irish said "rogha" and the irish for combination is "roghnaigh" so...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For Q7(a), I got 840 for the first one, by multiplying 7x6x5x4. Then, for the next bit, with the vowels, I did 3x7x6x5, which I only now realise is wrong, and should have done 3x6x5x4. Hmmm...marks seem to be constantly dropping here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Mushy wrote:
    For someone of my standard, I felt it went well. I'm not going to shoot out the lights in hons. Maths, but I feel after today I may have scraped an honour, which I would be delighted with.

Definately should get my pass in it, but it'll be borderline with the honour

Me too - exactly! I was really happy with the paper over all. I couldn't work out 8c) stupid thing. Nor could I do the trigonometry part c) in both 4 and 5. I'm reli useless at those and I can never tell what I'm meant to do. Didn't get 1c) either which pissed me off, cos the rest of that question was so easy. And also *this is what hurts most* I wrote down the wrong formula for area of a triangle. I wrote + in the middle instead of - How fricking stupid... :mad:
    Apart from that, I'm really happy though. 180+ in both papers, should get me my C - yay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

What did people get for Q8 c???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

it's in the thread, pi/4 - lnroot2 or 1/2ln2

maybe it was a plus, can't remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

What did people get for Q8 c???
    pi/4 - 1/2( ln2) is what I got, don't take it s being right though. Made total mess of the a part of that question, couldnt do the gen term either and managed the C typical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

oh god i got pi/8:o

in the exam i got pi/4 - ln2/2 but it'll be a while before I get around to checking it. I'm writing out full solutions to this years exam at zulunotes if anyone wants to help XD. I'll prob finish sometime tomorrow evening anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

oh god i got pi/8:o

Same here. We cant both be wrong can we?:D Was left with pi/4 - pi/8.

Dr.Slurm wrote:
    Same here. We cant both be wrong can we?:D Was left with pi/4 - pi/8.

I got it too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Couldnt get one of the trig c parts, the option c part or the w,r (iii) probablility/combination question

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

pi/4 - 1/2ln 2 is right, had it in our mocks:D

• Advertisement

well cool, i was damn close... care to post a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Nah it's pi/8 and you know it!:D You're mocks were wrong too. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I was happy enough with that i have to say. Didnt get 8a untill after i left the hall. I cant believe i didnt see it.. it was soo easy!!
    Very pleased with how i did overall in maths tho.. wanna get the result now!

I would have gotten that but there was an ln0 there for me which is undefinable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

mathew wrote:
    I was happy enough with that i have to say. Didnt get 8a untill after i left the hall. I cant believe i didnt see it.. it was soo easy!!
    Very pleased with how i did overall in maths tho.. wanna get the result now!
    Same here, somebody will have a good laugh at my question 8, couldn't do a or b ii but got c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

i tried but couldn't catch up with the van...

speaking of giving thecorrector a laugh, my maths teacher did corrections one summer and there was a binomial type question

EXPAND (1+x)^6 ...(or something like that

and the student wrote

(1+x)^6
    = ( 1 + x ) ^ 6

= ( 1 + x ) ^ 6 .....

you get the drift! but i saw that on the internet lately so i cant ensure the student came up with it or copied it..but i thought it was good none the less. and my teacher got a laugh and gave yer man the marks!!

EDIT: the forums dont let for lots of spaces between letters, but the expansion becomes wider and wider..

lol yeah, i saw that joke a while back. damn boards for ruining it...

another one is "find x" and an arrow pointing with "here it is"

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

cocoa wrote:
    well cool, i was damn close... care to post a solution?

Here it is, we had it as part (a) too lol

u = tan-1 x
    du = (1/1+x^2).1.dx

dv = 1.dx
    v = x + c

Sudv = uv - Svdu

Stan-1xdx = (tan-1x)(x) - S(x)(1/(1+x^2))dx

= xtan-1x - 1/2(ln u)

(use substitution u = 1 + x^2 dx => 1/2 du = xdx)

Stan-1xdx = xtan-1x - 1/2ln(1+x^2) +c

Fill in limits:

Stan-1xdx = [xtan-1x - 1/2ln(1+X^2)] |1=>0

= [(1)tan-1(1) - 1/2ln(1+(1)^2)] - [(0)tan-1(0) - 1/2ln(1+(0)^2]

= tan-1 1 - 1/2ln(2) - 0

= pi/4 - 1/2ln2;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

8(c) was pure evil.

• Advertisement

Stan-1xdx = (tan-1x)(x) - S(x)(1/(1+x^2))dx

= xtan-1x - 1/2(ln u)

(use substitution u = 1 + x^2 dx => 1/2 du = xdx)

Stan-1xdx = xtan-1x - 1/2ln(1+x^2) +c
    First of all, thanks a lot for typing it out, I know it can be a bit of a pain.
    I'm with you up to here but I would have said u=1+x^2 (as you did) and integration of 1/u=lnu not 1/lnu
    Can you tell me what the twist is?

Advertisement