Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 2 OL- how'd it go?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭

Grand paper. Did area, line, probability, trigonometry, statistics and linear inequalities. Area was easy, line was grand, trigonometry was almost too 'Look, use this formula here'. Couldn't get part of b, but a and c and the rest of b were fine..Probability, full marks, and statistics, grand, except I forgot what median means...

Linear Inequalities question was messed up. I normally get full marks on them, but the way this was phrased threw me completely, couldn't get it to work at all. So 10 marks for part A of that. I calculated I should get about 80%, so with paper 1..71% or something like that.

Easy enough though, what did everyone else think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Meh.It was grand enough I guess.Oddly enough in 2 or 3 questions I had more problems with the B parts than the C parts!Anyways I'm pretty sure I got full marks on statistics and probablity, and the majority of the marks from the other 3 questions I did.....However I did **** in the linear equations question.Probably got A wrong, and only attempted B iii (which was ****.ALl I wrote was ''to minimise construction costs, only apartments should be built''....I mean they cost less so of course it'll minimise costs!!!).Was there actually a problem with the question?Didn't seem to make sense.Ah well.I'm pretty much guaranteed I got my C3, and thats all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

linear programming sucked alright, 11:55 i worked out how to do it and as im in my own exam hall my examiner allowed me to stay till 12:15 to rush it off

Basically it was
    A developer is planning a holiday complex of cottages and apartments, each cottage will accomodate 3 adults and 5 children and each apartment will accomodate 2 adults and 2 children
    3x + 2y <= 60
    5x + 2y <= 80

once you have those 2 inequalities then the rest becomes easy, because i rushed off the question so fast i doubt i got full marks (like i ussually do for those questions). Rest went pretty good though :)

Edit: I was in such a rush that i said only cottages should be built, aargh :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

anyone have answers to probability please!!!

Q10 C(i) A compound interest Q ???

Seemed very easy

Q10A- .20 or 1/5 .. easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I got on well I suppose. Aced questions 1, 5, 6 and 7, could well have gotten 50/50 in each of them. Probably got 30-34 on questions 2 and 3, whichever one got the higher mark will be counted obviously.

It looks like I'm not the only one who was annoyed by the linear programming question. It was confusing and poorly phrased to say the least. I spent about 10 minutes just reading the damn question and I still couldn't figure out what they were asking for. I eventually used the equation that grouped adults with adults and kids with kids, which is what a lot of people have done so hopefully I got the question right. The rest of it was easy once I got that sorted.

I'm not counting Maths for points but I'm still hoping I got the A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

anyone have answers to probability please!!!

Q10 C(i) A compound interest Q ???

Seemed very easy

Q10A- .20 or 1/5 .. easy
    I got €2531. For part (ii), I got €14387. Not sure if they're right though.

What'd people get for the Simpsons Rule question?

• Advertisement

Simpsons Rule was 50 Squared

Yeah, thats what people were saying. Must've slipped up there somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I can't get over how the Linear Programming question was worded. I must have spent about 30 minutes trying to figure it out! It's usually my best question and I turned over to do it first but by God that was the strangest and hardest Linear Programming question I have ever come across and I usually aim for 50/50 in those questions. I was pleased with the Area and Volume, Probability and Statistics questions but I'm still upset about the Linear Progamming. I need a C3 and I'd be gutted if I didn't get it because of that question!

Those who I talked to in my class felt the same, so I hope that they adjust the marking scheme, although I can't see how it can be adjusted to award my incomplete and incorrect graph any marks :(. I hope someone in the SEC loses their balls over that question!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I thought it was sooo easy. I feel better after my fiasco in paper 1.i think i messed up a small part in question 7. But the rest was ok. N didnt think question 11 was hard at all. I prob had small mistakes in general that i cudnt c at the test..but other than that i tink overall was the easiest test in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ash_78

i am seriously bad at maths....felt alright about p.1 but my confidence is totally dropped since p.2......could someone plz relieve my mind and let me know, what is the minumum to pass...like which and how many questions, parts were necesarry for a d3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 powerofone

Steve01 wrote:
    I got on well I suppose. Aced questions 1, 5, 6 and 7, could well have gotten 50/50 in each of them. Probably got 30-34 on questions 2 and 3, whichever one got the higher mark will be counted obviously.

It looks like I'm not the only one who was annoyed by the linear programming question. It was confusing and poorly phrased to say the least. I spent about 10 minutes just reading the damn question and I still couldn't figure out what they were asking for. I eventually used the equation that grouped adults with adults and kids with kids, which is what a lot of people have done so hopefully I got the question right. The rest of it was easy once I got that sorted.

I'm not counting Maths for points but I'm still hoping I got the A1

Same as that. The very last minute I copped to group adults with adults, mad rush altogether. Very poorly worded question, they might change the marking to accommodate this? Hopefully?

ash_78 wrote:
    i am seriously bad at maths....felt alright about p.1 but my confidence is totally dropped since p.2......could someone plz relieve my mind and let me know, what is the minumum to pass...like which and how many questions, parts were necesarry for a d3?
    Each question's 50 marks, so you'd want an average of 20 out of them to pass. You'd wanna be doing, at a guess, the a parts spot on and doing reasonable attempts at the others to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fallon54

Piece of piss, easily 270 out of everything at worst. theres my A1 anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

I think it went ok for me. Probabilty seemed so easy I thought I was doing something seriously wrong.

Didnt have a clue of the liner programming, so I did the geometric series question when I seen the compound interest part... I ended up ****ing that up to.

Rest of the paper was very easy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Did anyone hear that you need just 38% to get a D3 or something?

It was on that leaving cert program on RTE?

Agri_trust wrote:
    Did anyone hear that you need just 38% to get a D3 or something?

It was on that leaving cert program on RTE?

yeah thats true , i think it even may be 37% !!

Ok I done the area Thing

supposed to be 1/2 (x1y2-x2-y1)

now i done that except forgot to half it ??

will i lose much marks(could be the difference between me repeating or not)

yeah thats true , i think it even may be 37% !!

Ok I done the area Thing

supposed to be 1/2 (x1y2-x2-y1)

now i done that except forgot to half it ??

will i lose much marks(could be the difference between me repeating or not)
    My best bet would be that would be a deduction of 3 marks for a blunder: "This is an error in methodology or using a wrong formula".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Not a bad paper at all I think, vectors remain my only concern :):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

unless ya man has to build 12 and a half cottages and 2 and a half apartments to save on the construction costs... i think i might've messed that q up. it was ok otherwise though, trig was fine and that. thankfully i'll never be in a situation where i'll have to work out maths problems again...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Went okayish! messd up 3rd part Q1, simpsons rule was simple! Q2 went okay and had trouble with part 3 of Q3, 6 and 7 went okay! and i needed to think about Linear Programming! delighted I ended up getting it right, both lines clashed at (10,15) did everyone else get for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Brilliant paper given I didn't bother going over Vectors or Probability. Did Q1,2,3,5,7 - couldnt do the vectors question but still got a good C1 on the paper. Q1,3 and 5 were piss easy for me, maybe half marks on the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Jay112 wrote:
    Went okayish! messd up 3rd part Q1, simpsons rule was simple! Q2 went okay and had trouble with part 3 of Q3, 6 and 7 went okay! and i needed to think about Linear Programming! delighted I ended up getting it right, both lines clashed at (10,15) did everyone else get for it?

Yep I got (10,15) too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

The linear program end part was kinda funny the way it was worded, it was saying u ahve to choose some of both x and y, sure all ya have to say then is build one of each ,they will have to adjust the marking scheme for that question as it was very hard...

Over all i reckon i did pretty good in the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

In comparison to last years, it looked like foundation level stuff. :p

They didn't really ask anything too difficult, some of it was so unbelievably easy and obvious it didn't even require too much maths. :D

And here I was stressing, I feel fantastic now.

mang87 wrote:
    In comparison to last years, it looked like foundation level stuff. :p

They didn't really ask anything too difficult, some of it was so unbelievably easy and obvious it didn't even require too much maths. :D

And here I was stressing, I feel fantastic now.

With ya there! was pretty happy with it! I failed my mocks '' badly '' but I feel like iv passed it this time! tomorrow is my last day of exams CANT WAIT:D 15th August here i come!

Jay112 wrote:
    With ya there! was pretty happy with it! I failed my mocks '' badly '' but I feel like iv passed it this time! tomorrow is my last day of exams CANT WAIT:D 15th August here i come!

Heh, I've just to worry about biology tomorrow, I still don't know anything about it. :D

French - easy.

Then I've a WEEK off to study for chem, but ofc I'll just celebrate early and then study for it the night before. Pass chem is a doddle. :cool:

mang87 wrote:
    Heh, I've just to worry about biology tomorrow, I still don't know anything about it. :D

French - easy.

Then I've a WEEK off to study for chem, but ofc I'll just celebrate early and then study for it the night before. Pass chem is a doddle. :cool:

Yea iv got bio tomorrow aswell! going to be tricky as usual!! are you in honours or ordinary Biology?

Did honours last year and its the reason I'm repeating, so I'm not going to chance it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

That was easy enough i thought...Did like 1 hr 30 for revsion for it...
    Line and circle were only places i say i lost marks..only a few though.

I thought the linear was grand...Very handy in my opinion, but i can see how people got confused...I also got confused at one thing...anyone get build apartments only for most profitable??

• Advertisement

some lads had (16,0) for the less costing construction!me on the otherhand been the plank i was said (0,0)

Advertisement