Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsible parenting ?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Ok,

Time for a slight rant here.

I was in a pub Friday afternoon for a ' leaving do ' . The pub is quiet but there is a small ( 2-2.5 yrs ) child running around the pub seemingly unhindered.
    After a while it was obvious who the parents were , they were the couple sitting drinking bulmers like it was going out of fashion.
    Gets to 2 or 2.5 hrs later , the poor child is totally bored realises the door is open .. runs out of the pub.
    Shocked I watch the parents for a reaction , of course there is none, next thing the child has fallen down steps outside ( luckily unhurt )
    What do the parents do..... order another round .

Now perhaps I should have chased after the child when it steamed out of the door , but you know how quick little ones are, and I bet I would have got a negative reaction from the parents.

So , where do people get off doing this to their children.... rant over !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You complain to the manager on the quiet, have done it and seen it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

I was brought up that way. Every Saturday and Sunday I was brought to the pub with my parents and let loose. There were at least five or six other couples there who would have done the same with their children and nobody found it out of the ordinary. That childs parents could have just been brought up the same way.

That said, that doesn't excuse it. I'd never dream of doing the same to my kids. It doesn't make for very happy childhood memories and like you said, it is irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this happens far too often unfortunately. I think this sort of carry on is sickening, how much do the parents really need the drink anyway? I've said it before, a pub is no place for a child, it aint fair on them no matter how much the [selfish] parents try to convince themselves otherwise.

Also if the two parents were drinking I would have been interested to see how they got home, walk, bus or car :(

Advertisement