Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working out GPS Co-ordinates

Options
  • 11-06-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this:

I have a blackberry with a bluetooth GPS receiver. When I read the GPS co-ordinates using an application like Spot, they are fine when I enter them into google maps. However when I get the co-ordinates directly from the device (before any calculations are done), they are miles off. Dublin city centre readings tend to put me somewhere near Bray.

I get the following readings - longitude, latitude, number of satellites, horizontal dilution and fix quality from the device. Is there some calculation that must be carried out on these before the co-ordinates can be used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

got it sorted - for anyone interested in writing a GPS Reader application:

String from GPS: 00614.8958,5320.5128,x,x,x

Change 00614.8958 to -6.148958
    Change 5320.5128 to 53.205128

Divide everything after the decimal point by 60 and round it off so you get:

53.34188,-6.248263

Advertisement