Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old records..where to sell?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

My dad has a load of old records which he thinks are worth a lot of money. All are original and include beatles elvis CCR Jimi Hendrix Doors Led Zepplin amongst many others and now he wants to sell them. Can anyone tell me where might be a could place to find out how much they are worth so he doesn't get ripped off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Check out ebay first to get a rough idea of the availability and going rate for each record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I'd probably be interested in buying them!
    Dunno how much they'd each be worth though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Unfortunately they're not worth a lot of money. All of those records were mass-produced and tens of millions of copies of each were sold worldwide. If they're absolutely mint (as in unplayed) then they're worth about the same as a new CD.

Presuming that they've been played and are a bit frayed around the edges, he might get around €3/4/5 each for them by flogging them to Road Records / Abbey Discs etc. The record shops will then knock them out at between €10-20 depending on what they think they can get a sucker to pay!

The only records that are worth a lot of money are extreme rarities, which are usually ones that have some kind of misprint on the label, or are copies of something that has been withdrawn or repackaged at some point.

For instance, you can get an original 1969 pressing of Led Zeppelin II on the Red & Plum 'Atlantic' label in excellent condition on ebay for €1.50 - http://cgi.ebay.ie/LED-ZEPPELIN-II-UK-G-F-Vinyl-LP-Red-Plum-KILLING-FL_W0QQitemZ230141563393QQihZ013QQcategoryZ1593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why is it people always think old vinyl is worth a fortune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

magpie wrote:

Why is it people always think old vinyl is worth a fortune?

probably cos about 70% of boards users have never seen vinyl outside their folks collections :D

OP - your dad is better holding on to his tunes (or giving them to you). The price he would get is negligible compared to the enjoyment and sentimental value of the records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Well he has one rare Bob Dyan LP that is worth over a grand so I'm told it was even advertised in the paper as being worth that amount

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

foxy06 wrote:
    Well he has one rare Bob Dyan LP that is worth over a grand so I'm told it was even advertised in the paper as being worth that amount

If you have genuinely valuable records, put em on ebay. A shop will try and drive the price down to sell them on higher. Cut out the middle men.

Which Bob Dylan record is worth over a grand then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

what part of the country are you in?
    i'm in dublin, i'd be interested in some of the cheaper ones anyway (certainly not the €1000 one!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i would say sticking them on e bay would be your best bet

the one that is apparantly worth over a grand is freewheelin and its a limited edition

• Advertisement

I hope for his sake its this one! http://www.audioracle.com/Articles/Vinyl.php

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

foxy06 wrote:
    the one that is apparantly worth over a grand is freewheelin and its a limited edition

That's pretty cool any more details for us?
    Oh and where did he buy/get it?

Would be nice if it was the one magpie linked to...

Holy Crap!!! I'm a bit nervous now....I doubt it's that one, we wouldn't be that lucky but I'll be up to him first thing to check! I'll let you all know......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ken27

Hi Foxy06,
    by the way I am looking for "Six Pence none the richer" band which
    was popolar in 1999, if you have something from it or their singer girl
    Leigh Nash, I would buy

Ken27 wrote:
    Hi Foxy06,
    by the way I am looking for "Six Pence none the richer" band which
    was popolar in 1999, if you have something from it or their singer girl
    Leigh Nash, I would buy

Sixpene none the richer vinyl?? that's probably more rare than that dylan album.

foxy06 wrote:
    Holy Crap!!! I'm a bit nervous now....I doubt it's that one, we wouldn't be that lucky but I'll be up to him first thing to check! I'll let you all know......

Take a pic if ya can!

Just checked out the album and it has the song on it Blowin in the Wind but the sticker is not on the front. does anyone have any idea if his would mean anything??

The key thing is whether it has the stereo/360 sound label printed on the top and if its the 1963 pressing. All copies of the album have blowin' in the wind on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I have a load of old recordsto give away FREE!
    I got them when a friend of mine bought an old pub and cleared out the jukebox, and then found a few more boxes of records in a closet. Mostly old one-hit wonders, i only recognised a few of the band names. They are of no use to me so if you want 'em they're yours!
    Terms and conditions:
    • You have to come to Leitrim to pick them up
    • If you want one, you take 'em all
    • If you sell them and make loads of cash, DONT LET ME KNOW!!!!

update?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 wotisthere

Hi, I COLLECT VINYL AND DO A BIT OF TRADING , JUST TO PAY FOR MY NEXT PIECE. WHERE ARE YOU BASED ? I will travel , within reason .CONTACT ME IF YOU LIKE AND MAYBE WE CAN SORT SOMETHING OUT.
    PAUL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Sorry, forgot to post. I Have sold them on already.

Advertisement