Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadand, what are the options?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

First of all is mobile broadband as great as it sounds? can you get similar speeds to that of landline broadband and does the coverage depend on location or is it the same across the network?

Who are the present providers?

I hear O2 are coming into the market, any word on what they're going to offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

you CAN get similar speeds to those over fixed lines ( cable/dsl ) however due to the nature of wireless, even if on an HSDPA cell at 3.6mbps, your speeds could go up and down between 700kbps and full 3.6mbps pretty easily. so its not designed for
    a) professional gaming ( on HSDPA you can expect pings to ireland etc of around 100-200ms )
    b) Running any sort of server ( due to erratic bandwidth availability )
    c) Dependable / stable transmission times ( trying to download a large file and be confident of when it will finish lol )

But anyways, your service on any one network depends on what degree of deployment they have done, like whether you are in a 2G-only area, or if its a 3G area, or perhaps if you are lucky enough the HSDPA ( 3G+ ) ones.

In general, Vodafone and O2 cover Dublin, Cork in HSDPA completely, 3G in all cities and major towns.

HSDPA along arterial roads and motorways ( Vodafone have HSDPA in Kerry towns etc also and many other towns, you can check their coverage map, i use HSDPA on vodafone myself when im in Listowel ).

You can also get the services from 3 , however be careful of what one you use, as the cheaper and larger cap product allows you to use the 3 network only , and as they have the least coverage outside dublin, if you want to use it in Galway etc, it might not be for you )

O2 are coming to market and they will be providing USB Modem & Router solutions initially [ fingers crossed as they say ].

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

It's online for browsing the web right now. Someone I know cannot get broadband with a landline or even with the wireless solution from Digiweb or whoever that was, so mobile would appear to be the way to go. 700Kps is still pretty good for browsing.
    By USB modem and router, I guess you mean you can setup the mobile connection in the same way as your broadband connection with wireless router for transmission around the house on more than on PC.

Any idea when 02 is coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

JNive wrote:
    You can also get the services from 3 , however be careful of what one you use, as the cheaper and larger cap product allows you to use the 3 network only , and as they have the least coverage outside dublin, if you want to use it in Galway etc, it might not be for you )

You can get HSDPA from 3 in Kilkee (population 13.5)

I think Galway might have slightly better coverage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

... 700Kps is still pretty good for browsing.

700 is optimistic.
    If you're not getting over 1Mb, you'll be looking at about 350k.
    If you're not getting that, it'll drop quickly to about 144k, and then outside
    3G areas to about 40k. There's a lot of non 3G areas, particularly with 3.

I won't jump the gun just yet, I think I'll wait to see what O2 can come up with, surely at this late stage it will be better than Vodafone and 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I have the O2 HSDPA USB modem which I have been trialling for a couple of months. I understand that they will be on sale from the beginning of July. Pricing and data allowance details haven't been released yet.

I can get a stable 2.2mb on it at work but I only have GPRS coverage at home so it is of limited use at the moment if you are in the sticks.

The modem is made by Huawei who I believe also supply the Vodafone and 3 modems.

lol, where would that be then :-) it did a flat 2.9mbps sustained on vista for me in O2 roflmao.

Anyways, Yes the original Launch is July HOWEVER there is a certain issue not related to th technology which might push that to the middle of July, time will tell

Mid July,another month, hopefully worth the wait. I guess O2 will advertise speeds of more than 4Mbps or something but in reality would not go anywhere that as with the other providers.
    I guess we'll wait and see, in the meantime I should probably find out my local masts capability, will O2 give me this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭adaminho

Mid July,another month, hopefully worth the wait. I guess O2 will advertise speeds of more than 4Mbps or something but in reality would not go anywhere that as with the other providers.
    I guess we'll wait and see, in the meantime I should probably find out my local masts capability, will O2 give me this information?

O2 will be launching at 3.6Mbps rising to 7mbps by December. Coverage is at 60% population wise curently rising to 70% at launch and 80% by 31st of December (Com Reg requirement).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

that does sound good, i like to get more info on it,, have o2 released much about it?
    I'm in the middle of renewing my contract on three, but thinking maybe going back to o2

• Advertisement

davton wrote:
    that does sound good, i like to get more info on it,, have o2 released much about it?
    I'm in the middle of renewing my contract on three, but thinking maybe going back to o2
    I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

o2 will have to launch a price plan which will offer 3.6mbit (nominal) with a 10gb cap for €20 a month in order to MATCH the 3 offer .

Not a chance ...bar the nominal 3.6mbit !

adaminho wrote:
    I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you!;)
    ah go on,,,,:p

"Not a chance ...bar the nominal 3.6mbit !" i suppose very fair point,, mite get the x-series on 3 instead then, same price and out sooner

Beware of dreadfully cacky 3 firmware. Fortunately if you get a NOKIA N7x or N9x its easy to debrand ( not unlock ) the phone which removes the cacky 3 menus and allows you to upgrade your firmware properly from Nokia .

Check you can debrand before you get landed with a phone . eg

http://clear-nokia.blogspot.com/2007/05/nokia-n95-debranding-guide.html

in the meantime I should probably find out my local masts capability

PM me your location and i can check this more throughly for you.

As for matching 3 i think if they get even 'close' to the package they are offering technoligically wise, i think people agree it would probably be better value considering O2 'generally' tend to have better customer service and technical support compared to 3 :-).

JNive wrote:
    PM me your location and i can check this more throughly for you.

As for matching 3 i think if they get even 'close' to the package they are offering technoligically wise, i think people agree it would probably be better value considering O2 'generally' tend to have better customer service and technical support compared to 3 :-).

ye i think most people know o2's care is the best, but if the price isn't right, will people move

move ? its a tough one, however be aware that the current customer base of O2 is far greater to that of 3, so the initial focus would be on enriching the offering to customers with them already to retain them and help revenue stream, while at the same time hoping to bring in customers from other mobile networks due to the all-in-one package and also people who might not be with a mobile network at present and just cant get broadband at home etc.

JNive wrote:
    move ? its a tough one, however be aware that the current customer base of O2 is far greater to that of 3, so the initial focus would be on enriching the offering to customers with them already to retain them and help revenue stream, while at the same time hoping to bring in customers from other mobile networks due to the all-in-one package and also people who might not be with a mobile network at present and just cant get broadband at home etc.
    O2's offer will give discounts to those who are either an existing bill customer or are conecting to an o2 voice tariff as well as Broadband.
    davton wrote:
    ah go on,,,,
    It's not confirmed yet so I wont get your hopes up. It will be close to 3's offer though. It's looking around mid July to launch as training is being rolled out to the stores at the moment.

Whatever happens it's great to see there is a real alternative to landline base broadband, I hate to see Eircom getting fat on work done 20 years ago and already paid for by the EU.
    adaminho and co please keep this thread posted on updates.

Everybody has better customer care and tech support than 3 .

O2 have very good customer care but I found their tech support indifferent ( at best) compared to vodas .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jimmy2shoes

i believe o2's download cap will be around 6gb per month. not sure on pricing yet, however there will be a fiver off if you bundle it in with a contract phone as well. i reckon o2 have been panicking over the last few days since 3 brought in 10gb's for €20. i don't even think they know what its gonna cost yet.

6gb isnt that great is it,, and bet it wouldnt be cheaper than €20??

three wins this round i think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

JNive wrote:

I've seen up to 1.5 mbit on 3 in the Galway area, between 300-400 kbit in rural areas of Co. Galway.

The only thing, where I don't would recommend this as a broadband replacement is, that I've never seen more then 60 kbit upstream and you'll get assigned private ip's, which prevents you from certain services.

If you want mobile broadband for browsing, research, IM, email and download of documents, this is definatly a viable option.

If you want P2P, gaming, VoIP etc., I wouldn't recommend it, if you have another option like fixed wireless or DSL.

/Martin

that I've never seen more then 60 kbit upstream and you'll get assigned private ip's, which prevents you from certain services.

As far as i am aware, you are assigned public IPs from O2.
    Also regads pricing, i am not too sure on caps etc, this is the stuff which is being finalised at the moment.

Pricing however will be EUR120 ( i think ) for the USB Modem, and EUR40 / month for the broadband service, and if you also have a voice account with them, this is dropped to EUR30 / month.

I would match 3 on price and cap IN A BUNDLE , eg €19.99 a month incl vat

I would then charge €24.99-29.99 unbundled or to a speakeasy customer.

As o2 have a large prepay base I would invite O2 to be the first operator to do payg 3g at €29.99 a month but with a full price modem ...say €99

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

JNive wrote:
    Pricing however will be EUR120 ( i think ) for the USB Modem, and EUR40 / month for the broadband service, and if you also have a voice account with them, this is dropped to EUR30 / month.

Sounds similar to Vodafones current deal:
    33.05 EUR/month, 5 GB cap, 0.10 EUR/mb after that. All prices ex. VAT,
    so incl. VAT we're talking:

40 EUR/month and 0.121 EUR/mb after the 5 GB.

The original unlimited service is not available for new customers anymore as far as i understand.

no match for 3's 20 EUR/month, 10 GB and 0.05 EUR/MB afterwards as a standalone service for data only.

/Martin

except as i said, you get a public IP, routing via Esat/BT and Verizon, and as far as i believe the prices i quoted included VAT, but again all this is not finalised yet and wont be up until launch time.

There definitely was discussion occuring when 3 dropped their price, and there are a few points of the service offering still undecided uncluding exactly what forms of upgrade paths there might be etc etc. but at the end of oit all, im sure it will be a pretty complete offering.

JNive wrote:
    As far as i am aware, you are assigned public IPs from O2.
    Also regads pricing, i am not too sure on caps etc, this is the stuff which is being finalised at the moment.

O2's pricing and caps haven't been finalised yet. It's looking like €30 a month with a voice plan and the same limits as 3's offer. What sets it apart is the offer of 7mb download speeds by the end of the year. Yes 3 have cheaper deal but I think you'll find that in the long run you'd be better off with O2.

adaminho wrote:
    I think you'll find that in the long run you'd be better off with O2.

I think NOT! if you live in a rural area. o2 currently have the smallest 3g network in terms of geographic coverage .....so small that they do not even publish a 3g coverage map adaminho

Voda has the most honest 3g coverage map .

3 have similar coverage to voda but their map is BS

All 3g operators tend to serve the same areas in most cases .

I personally recommend that anyone ( with no FWA options or DSL) who can get a 3g signal off 3 today should simply go with 3 today.

They can check in on o2 again when the years contract is up.

Will o2 have a 14 day trial by the way ???

• Advertisement

but again all this is not finalised yet and wont be up until launch time.

<-- exactly what i said lol.

Whether its available to Speakeasy customers, no idea.
    Whether there will be a trial, no idea.

As for coverage, CURRENTLY, they are behind in terms of rural areas, however what do you expect, its not even launched yet :-)

Advertisement