Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadand, what are the options?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

JNive wrote:
    As for coverage, CURRENTLY, they are behind in terms of rural areas, however what do you expect, its not even launched yet :-)

Of course its 'launched ' or o2 would be in breach of their licence obligations , the o2 3g 'signal' has around for at least 2 years now ....but not out the country obviously :D

HSDPA is a software upgrade to these existing masts .

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

well yeah i was referring to the HSDPA service as opposed to 3G :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

O3 3G & HSDPA here in Midwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

watty wrote:
    O3 3G & HSDPA here in Midwest.

Eh ? Is that a merger of O2 and 3 ? :D

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Some more information on the O2 HSDPA offering

O2 are set to launch a successor to the data card that it has been selling for the last number of years. The new “Broadband Modem” is going to offer real Broadband speeds with no line rental or setup costs. The new product will be initially aimed at the business market, offering the opportunity for employees to now get very fast internet connection speeds while out of the office.

With speeds of up to 3.6Mbps it is faster than most home broadband speeds or wireless broadband speeds that you get in airports or hot spots around the country. This speed is nearly double the old data card speed and will offer many benefits to the business community. O2 have invested heavily into their new HSDPA network and aim to increase the speed later in the year to an unprecedented 7.2Mbps.

With the new speeds of up to 3.6Mbps, O2 will now have two products that will provide these connection speeds; the Sierra Wireless 850 data card and the new O2 Broadband Modem. The new modem brings many new features;

• Initial speeds of up to 3.6Mbps, 7.2 later in the year. (3 network operates at the same speed, Vodafone is only 1.8Mbps)
    • It has a USB connection and therefore will work in all new and old laptops.
    • Its plug & Play and connects in seconds
    • No software to download from a disc
    • It is Apple MAC compatible
    • Works with new Windows Vista
    • As it uses a USB connection it could also be connected to a PC to offer backup if the internet went down.
    • Very portable
    • Download limit of 6Gigabytes (old card was 2.5G)

Broadband take up in Ireland is well below the European average. Many households and businesses can still not receive Broadband connection and it is a possibility that this new offering from O2 will break this mould. When O2 launch Broadband in early July it will have 70% population coverage, with it expanding to 80% population coverage by end of 2007 in line with a COMREG regulation set for the networks.

No confirmed pricing yet but there may be a discount if you have your phone with O2 also. Despite what they say I have heard that 2.8mb is the fasted achieved speed to date. July 2nd is the launch date.

• Advertisement

No confirmed pricing yet but there may be a discount if you have your phone with O2 also. Despite what they say I have heard that 2.8mb is the fasted achieved speed to date. July 2nd is the launch date.

Ive personally got screenshots of it doing 3.2mbps on vista

Also where was that written out of interest :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

well this o2 offer looks very interesting. I'll definitely consider it. It's time I dumped NTL (:mad:) as my broadband provider and anyway I am looking for a more mobile alternative...

please keep us updated here, folks...;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

JNive wrote:
    Also where was that written out of interest :-)

http://www.commercialwireless.ie/news/2007/jun/o2_broadband.shtml

JNive wrote:
    Ive personally got screenshots of it doing 3.2mbps on vista

The most which I have got personally is 2.6mpbs using XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Why have 1 user @ 7.2Mbps when you could have 4 @ 1.8Mbps?

They are more interested in user capacity than peak speed in the real world.

• Advertisement

Service Launch date: July 2nd
    Commencement of Service Advertising: July 9th

If you want to find out if your area is currently covered by the 3G network, send me a pm.

Dont ask about pricing/tariffs/bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

So it's here, any good is it. I think I'll have to get it.

By the way I've heard a couple of lads got fired from O2 cos of a thread like this on boards, probably this one, unfotunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

So it's here, any good is it. I think I'll have to get it.

By the way I've heard a couple of lads got fired from O2 cos of a thread like this on boards, probably this one, unfotunate.
    but why were they fired?

anyone tried the mobile broadband service from 3?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

el diablo wrote:
    anyone tried the mobile broadband service from 3?

Read this tread and others in the Broadband section, plenty of feedback on 3 around.

In regards to speeds, maybe fixed wireless providers should start a marketing campaign themselfes, the same way as the 3g networks and just drop the limitations for each customer: Up to 20 mbit/s speeds (depending on distance from basestation, signal, weather and amount of users on same sector :D )
    The results will just be a support mess and a lot of disappointed customers, that never see 20 mbit/s, because no provider will provide point-to-point infrastructure for each customer, unless we're talking custom deals like uncontended bandwidth. The average residental customer already complains about the current installation fee's.

/Marlow

Advertisement