Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wacom

Options
  • 11-06-2007 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

Ok, so it's time for me to buy a nice graphics tablet. already settled on a graphire4 from wacom (good prices), but i'm not entirely sure what size to get (probably A5 or A6).. or where to get them from.

komplett have good prices alright, but stock is always low, or they're in suppliers (takes longer to get them then, i assume). i checked in PC world and couldn't find them at all, asked your friendly neighborhood indian man and he hadn't a breeze what i was on about.

so any advice on a better model, the "right" size and a good place to get them would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

intuos is supposed to be a lot better than the graphire,

also, you can buy on pixmania, or http://www.wacomshop.nl/ (havnt used them)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

heggie wrote:
    intuos is supposed to be a lot better than the graphire

yeah but they're also incredibly expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

for general use you wont see much difference - i have both intous(A4) and graphire (A5) and i use grpahire much more because its smaller and easier to put on lap or whatever

i know, the price difference is huge, any info i've read on it said to hold out for the intuos, but if the graphire is decent then I'd pick that up, as I don't think i'd be using it to airbrush, pity you cant demo them anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I had an intuos and it was a dream to use. Highly recommended. Saying that I haven't used a graphire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 cmcweb

Like projectmayhem its time I too bought a graphics tablet, so ordered an Intuos A5 off Pixmania for 302 plus 13.90 delivery. Seemed like a good deal as I was limited to buying with a laser card, can't wait to try it out.

Was considering the Graphire XL for ages but decided to wait until I could afford an Intuos. I hope it's worth it, I shall report back in due course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rudie-

i just got my wacom graphite 4 today and it is frickin class, i had used an a6 one before once and i went for the a5, defnitly worth going for the larger ones,

seein as im here and you guys might know, is there any good free/open/cheap sofware that will transcripe text into say office or the equivelent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

look out for cheap intuos on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

I bought a bluetooth graphire through the refurbished section of the eu wacom site about a year back. cant remember how much, but it was a lot cheaper. perfect condition too. i keep losing the pen, but apart from that it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

hi there,

well i was on the look out for a tablet for a while but the prices were too high i thought.. didnt want to fork out for top of the range.. just wanted one with some decent functionality.. so held out for a good deal.. i just picked one up in argos.. 50 odd quid.. a5 in size.. comes with the pen and wireless mouse.. works pretty good.. you wont find it in the catalogue.. its only on the website.. here is the link..

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosBrowseCounts?storeId=30001&jspStoreDir=argosie&identifier=8585989&Trail=C%24cip%3D51950%3EC%24cip%3D51972%3EC%24cip%3D51974&catalogId=10751&langId=-1

• Advertisement

just ordered an intuos today, will post how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

heggie wrote:

You'll love it. Great bit of equiptment.

yup i do! it's really really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

heggie wrote:

May I ask where you got it from?

Was it a widescreen A5 one by any chance? Thinking of updating mine

just standard a5, from pixmania

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

heggie wrote:
    just standard a5, from pixmania

Thanks for that. Pixmania are about €50 cheaper than the Wacom store anyway.

Have you ever used the A6 version? Seems quite small but more affordable.

Bloody Vista won't let me use my serial tablet through a usb adaptor

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mhoward

I have a Wacom tablet its like 6x4 inches cost me €80 euro, dont get me wrong it was excellent done everything i needed. Then I spied the trust graphics tablet. I got an A4 tablet for €70 on pixmania and its the biz. Works wonders in Illustrator.

i've used trust before, and it was useless, trust everything is rubbish! used to sell it! don't forget wacom!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

wacom is more expensive for several reasons

tilt technology,
    better software,
    higher pressure sensitivity ranges,
    powerless pens,
    better support.

Trust is the mexican language equivilant, use if you speak spanish, heck I have one, I keep it in my latop case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cmcweb

I would highly recommend the A5 intuos, after using it for a few weeks I don't know why i didn't order one way sooner, for freehand drawing its the business, very intuitive (hence the name i guess) almost like drawing on paper. Photo retouching with it is a breeze. Although the painter essentials software that came with it is quite good, fun and very easy to use it is very buggy on a mac os x!

It handles very well with photoshop and illustrator cs, my creativity feels unleashed and my productivity is way up since i bought it. The mouse isn't great, kinda feels too stiff on the tablet although i dont use it much anyway. Haven't had a chance to use the 'felt pen' nib as yet. It also came with a spare stroke nib.

Not sure i would recommend the A6 version it may be too small, A5 is just right for me as i work on a 17inch widescreen at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement