Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Servicing a Diesel

Options
  • 11-06-2007 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

hey,

Im looking into getting a diesel car and I was wondering how often it is necessary to service a diesel engine? Im looking at a Passat 1.9TDI from around 01.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Every 10,000 Oil, oil filter and air filter and every 20,000 the same but also fuel filter.That's the way I do it on my A4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Thanks Moanin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry for hijacking ur thread pep, but Moanin, U do your own A4?

What sort of time does it take to service it, i have done all my own petrol cars but have never done the A4. Is there much difference?
    Can you set the service interval yourself on the dash and roughly how much for parts?

No sorry I don't service it myself.A friend of mine who's a mechanic in a main dealer and who works from home in the evenings services it for me.He has all the equipment including a hydraulic lift and diagnostics machine.I usually buy the parts in a motor factors and he supplies only the oil.He usually has it done in 45 mins - 1 hour.I usually wait while he does it.I also get brake pads changed every 30k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Moanin wrote:
    I also get brake pads changed every 30k miles.

Do they need it that frequently or do you just do it for the kicks?
    30k sounds way too low, 60k+ being easily attainable.

• Advertisement

yeah and if you do motorway driving M50 aside then you can go longer than 60K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

If you use longlife oil it's every 30,000kms on a modern passat TDi.
    You'd have to make sure your mechanic used that every time though.

el tel wrote:
    Do they need it that frequently or do you just do it for the kicks?
    30k sounds way too low, 60k+ being easily attainable.

My mechanic recommends to change them at 30k.I don't change all 4.Basically 30k change front, then 60 change back etc

If you use longlife oil it's every 30,000kms on a modern passat TDi.
    You'd have to make sure your mechanic used that every time though.

The Audi manual recommends to top up all fluids every 10k and full service every 20k.I think it all depends on the type of driving you do.I do alot of long distance driving and I fell that regular servicing will prolong the life of the engine. My mechanic uses semi synthetic oil as far as I know.Now what brand I'm not sure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have been getting mine serviced now every 12k miles, oil, air, fuel, general look over. No diagnotic machines though in this lads garage.

• Advertisement

yop wrote:
    I have been getting mine serviced now every 12k miles, oil, air, fuel, general look over. No diagnotic machines though in this lads garage.

Should suffice.He has never used the diagnostics on it, but it is always there if needed.I think once the above are been done regularly it should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

I have a 02 passat tdi, great car. 10000 miles is how often i change oil and oil filter, make sure you get the correct oil though. Needs a certain vw classification, 505. something i believe. I use the castrol magnatec for turbo diesels.
    What version tdi did you get?

Not sure if that question was meant for me Phill, but I have a 130 bhp version

I also have 130bhp SE model (Like you yop, dunno if it was addressed to me?)

Advertisement