Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Ducks, Names & Welfare?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I just got 3 ducks(yes I live in the country & want to be a farmer!).
    Does anyone out there keep them & have any tips on how to care for them?
    Any suggesttion for names would be gr8. I was thinking Quackers,Webster & Bill, but they're girls.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Camile

Hi Ami,

I don't have ducks myself but they are on the list !

what breed are they ?

because most of the ducks would need some sort of a pond or bath to at least put their head underwater, and more importantly swim .

I have some geese and I have half a big blue barrel dug it .. so they can get in and out no problem ..

Also, ducks will need plenty of grass in their diet, and also plenty of slimly grub .. topped up with a bit of wheat/barley then happy days !

Good luck,
    Camile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Thanks Camile,
    I plan on maybe getting them a paddling pool & building some kind of moveable pen so that i can move it along as they eat the grass. Slimy grub, do you mean worms/insects:eek: will i have to catch them? No, seriously, I don't mind, just as long as I'm doing the right thing by them.:)
    I'm also going to get a 'hopper' so the food stay clean. Would you have any better ideas?
    Ami

Hi again Ami,

A paddling pool is perfect for them .. especially with only 3 of them ... but at the meantime, make sure that there bucket of water is deep enough to have their head underwater, and that there is always small available ..

As for the pen, why don't you let them free range the place ... it saves a load of problem like moving and so on ..

I have a good few chickens, guinea fowl and geese roaming free and they are never short of grass or don't destroy everything because they graze there and there if you see what I mean ..

as for the grub, indeed slugs and snails are a good part of their diet ...

but they will find them themselves .. they are great if you have a veggie patch .. they will patrol it all around and clear it of nasties ..

and as for the hopper, it's a good idea indeed .. but I made some feeder that works as well, without spending money on them by using scavenged wood ..

I WANT SOME DUCKS NOW !

Good luck.
    Camile

Oh, and what breed are they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Camille,
    I don't know their breed. They're white, 1 is all white, 1 has some black feathers near her head & 1 has some light brown feathers. I got them cause I love duck eggs. I bought them at an agricultural show on Sunday, the guy told me they were born around Feb & should lay maybe in 2/3 months.
    As for letting them loose I have 3 dogs of my own who have never seen a duck:rolleyes: & a cat ( who I think is usless, she still hasn't brought me a mouse).
    The other thing is I run a dog training school from home so often there would be other dogs on the property (in a different, fenced in part of the garden) but I'd rather know that they're safe all the time:D
    Thanks for the help
    Ami

• Advertisement
Advertisement