Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology higher level

Options
  • 11-06-2007 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Im panicing at the moment. I know nothing.
    Anyone have any ideas what might/due to come up.
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I´d say respiration as a long question cuz photosynthesis came up last year. n the usual ecology, genetics,reproduction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

ugh....biology

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

Make sure you know the female reproduction hormones. they are the only thing that havent been asked yet in the chapter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I'm banking on that Oatesy!

Know Protein Synthesis is my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

Right heres a list of stuff my teacher is saying.

Iaa (Auxin) experiemnt
    Genetic screening
    Resparation
    That female hormones one i mention.
    Protein synthesis As mentioned above. anything else ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Hows about experiments people? Im thinking:

All effects on catalase activity
    IAA
    Enzyme Immob.
    Light intensity and co2 on photosynthesis

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Not Immobolised Enzyme. Other 3 should come up, maybe osmosis too but that's a pass one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

thanks. Im thinking enzymes and osmosis and diffusion coz they avent come up yet. Im dreading 2moro goin to be my worst day by far!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Tula

there's pretty much always plant reproduction or human reproduction right? and ecology or food?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes, always genetics, reproduction, plant stuff and ecology..think food comes up every year year too, in some part. Respiration is being tipped more than photosynthesis, woohoo. I still can't grasp photosynthesis, and I've tried so hard..as soon as it mentions protons..:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭innocenteyesuk

Genetics, Repoduction, Respiration/Photosynthesis (possibly a double question), The Sense Organs, Microbiology, Ecology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

The sense organs have never come up yet, i.e. the ear, eye etc...know the eye and the ear well anyway!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Oh my God, its going to suck. I still have to do respiration... Please let it be nice. I need a B2 realistically.....C2 in the Pre....can it be done?? lol
    Actually, came across a question in the photosynthesis experiment while ago. I presume its to do with the water bath, but i'm so tired I don't really know?

Q: why is elodea (a water plant) used instead of a wood plant in this exp.

Is it just cause you're putting it in a waterbath??

In the papers they kinda go male/female/male/female with regards repro. I think its male meant to come up this year, then again, gambling never works...

So u can measure the reate of photosynthesis by counting the O2 bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Selphie wrote:
    Oh my God, its going to suck. I still have to do respiration... Please let it be nice. I need a B2 realistically.....C2 in the Pre....can it be done?? lol
    Actually, came across a question in the photosynthesis experiment while ago. I presume its to do with the water bath, but i'm so tired I don't really know?

Q: why is elodea (a water plant) used instead of a wood plant in this exp.

Is it just cause you're putting it in a waterbath??

In the papers they kinda go male/female/male/female with regards repro. I think its male meant to come up this year, then again, gambling never works...

lol im going for an A1 and I got a c2 so there is hope for you yet! its gonna be a tough paper I think the food experiments will come up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I'm leaving out the immune system and plant hormone regulators. Bad decision? Should I cram them in?

Bluefox21 wrote:
    lol im going for an A1 and I got a c2 so there is hope for you yet! its gonna be a tough paper I think the food experiments will come up!

Lol I'd love an A, but i think i won't be able to remember what I have "learned."

Em, spank, there was a short question on antibodies and antigens last year, I can't remember if there was more. Read over it before the exam tomorrow; its actually not too difficult a chapter. I'm leaving out plants, except photosynthesis and respiration so I don't know about the other thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

lol i plan to learn respiration photosythesis genetics and the eye before tomorrow and I plan to watch prison break mission impossible :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

i'm leaving out all things to do with plants. sense organs-defo memorising that chapter its easy & has never come up. shiiiiiiite why did I do bio????

• Advertisement

I plan to fit it all in before 2 o clock tomorrow. Well some of it

ashyle wrote:
    i'm leaving out all things to do with plants. sense organs-defo memorising that chapter its easy & has never come up. shiiiiiiite why did I do bio????

Can you leave out all plants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Im just doing the osmosis experiment now with the visking tubing. what kind of questions can they ask u on it? Why do u force out the excess air before you tie a knot in it? why do u wash and dry the outside of the tubes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Nehpets wrote:
    Can you leave out all plants?
    At you peril :eek:

blondie07 wrote:
    Im just doing the osmosis experiment now with the visking tubing. what kind of questions can they ask u on it? Why do u force out the excess air before you tie a knot in it? why do u wash and dry the outside of the tubes?

Not sure bout the air part, put wud it work wit air in it? i dnt tink it does but anyways, n dryin it i tink its in case u spill some sugar outside the viskin tube.When u test the water from the beaker wit iodine it has to remain yellow/brown, to prove that only water went into the tube, nutin came out.

Theres a question in one of the sample papers bout this experiment

I think you have to dry it so that when you weigh it, you're weighing the proper mass of the thing, and not what it weighs when its dripping wet.

Yeah that makes more sense lol

Ok, here goes a stupid question...while do plants need nitrogen? Its asked in the nitrogen cycle n i cnt answer it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Murns

izzyflusky wrote:
    Ok, here goes a stupid question...while do plants need nitrogen? Its asked in the nitrogen cycle n i cnt answer it!!

Chemosynthesis isnt it?

I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

Nitrogen is needed in Plant Protein (coz the elements in it are C.H.O.N)

Advertisement