Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New entry as no. 1 Irish web host

Options
  • 11-06-2007 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Libertyrms.info is now ranked as the biggest web hosting company in Ireland by Webhosting.info .

The full story is on my blog:
    http://www.spiralhosting.com/blog/read/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

There also known as afilias, and were removed from the irish listings some time back as they are not a hosting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    Libertyrms.info is now ranked as the biggest web hosting company in Ireland by Webhosting.info .

The full story is on my blog:
    http://www.spiralhosting.com/blog/read/11
    Webhosting.info are a bunch of muppets who can't tell a registry from a hoster. They also don't cover ccTLDs (.ie/.eu/.uk etc).

These are the top ten Irish hosters as of 01/June/2007:
    | hoster                  | bionic | netresult |
    +-------------------------+--------+-----------+
    | HOSTING365.IE           |  22727 |       550 |
    | BLACKNIGHTSOLUTIONS.COM |  10222 |       564 |
    | NOVARA.IE               |   9222 |       385 |
    | EIRCOM.NET              |   8543 |        17 |
    | IRISHDOMAINS.NET        |   8032 |       150 |
    | DNSIRELAND.COM          |   6602 |       437 |
    | WEBHOSTINGIRELAND.IE    |   5355 |       137 |
    | HOSTIRELAND.COM         |   4870 |        94 |
    | ESAT.NET                |   4657 |       -54 |
    | DIGIWEB.IE              |   4617 |       501 |

Bionic = Biz Info Org Net Ie Com
    Netresult = change since 01/May/2007

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Muppet is such a strong term..

Come here John, you need a hug

*hugz*

p.s

what in the world am i doing on here today

tom-thebox wrote:

what in the world am i doing on here today

Maybe because you work for spiral hosting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

tom-thebox wrote:
    Not in relation to webhosting.info :)

They have a charming habit of moving companies from one country to another based on the silliest of criteria

• Advertisement

tom-thebox wrote:
    Nah Tom,
    These guys really haven't much of a clue beyond click and drool when it comes to geolocation.

Just to put the Libertyrms.info / Afilias thing in perspective
    +-----------------+--------+-----------+------+------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
    | hoster          | bionic | netresult | ie   | com  | net  | org   | biz  | info  | eu   |
    +-----------------+--------+-----------+------+------+------+-------+------+-------+------+
    | LIBERTYRMS.INFO |  30840 |         0 |    0 |    0 |    0 | 15230 |    0 | 15610 |    0 |

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Sposs wrote:
    There also known as afilias, and were removed from the irish listings some time back as they are not a hosting company.

I'm not sure if you are referring to the Irish Webhosting.info listings, but Afilias are still ranked number 16 (even though they own LibertyRMS and it has it's own listing).

I've posted the stats for the top 10 Irish web hosters along with their identified ie/com/net/org/biz/info/eu breakdowns on my blog:

http://blog.whoisireland.com/2007/06/11/top-irish-web-hosters-june-2007/

As you can see from this, they all have a completely different spread to Affilias' Libertyrms.info holding DNS.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

jmcc's figures are the only 'authoritative' figures for the Irish industry.

It's hard to measure a host as, like us, a huge proportion of customers are 'invisible' if they use their own, or branded DNS servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

irish web hosts

:yawn:
    get over it

only one i ever tried was blacknight and were great but yankees offer a greater price for just as good support

• Advertisement

:yawn: is right - yankee hosts offer a better price how?

I think it's been said a million times over that if your hosting isnt latency specific, or your don't really 'care' about having it close to hand for performance or security reasons (not to mention Data Protection and legal reasons) then you can host anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

What legal reasons are you referring to?

Irish hosts must comply with Irish / EU Data Protection legislation, also, if there is any issue/problem/damages/etc then you are in the jurisdicion of the Irish courts - not those, say, in Alabama.

There are many reasons most corporates host locally.

Irish hosts must comply with Irish / EU Data Protection legislation
    Are you suggesting that those hosting outside of Ireland are in breach of such legislation?
    if there is any issue/problem/damages/etc then you are in the jurisdicion of the Irish courts - not those, say, in Alabama.
    Often both actually.

Am not saying any such thing, just saying that if you want the protection of Irish legislation and regulation, you need to physically be here.

cgarvey wrote:
    Are you suggesting that those hosting outside of Ireland are in breach of such legislation?

A lot of them probably are. It may not be intentional, but I don't see any of them involved with ISPAI (http://www.ispai.ie)

With regards to Data Protection only two Irish hosting companies were actually registered last time I checked

Scare-mongering, lads.

What's scaremongery? It's a simple fact - for the same reason, many US company's choose to host in Ireland to avail of the low corporation tax rates.

Not to mention our liberal online gambling laws. :)

What's scaremongery?.
    To state that you have to be physically present in the state for the "protection" of Irish law.

To imply that not being a member of ISPAI and hosting websites is in breach of some legislation.

To imply that all that host must be registered with the Data Protection Commissioner.

To imply that you "don't care" about legalities and data protection if you host outside of Ireland.

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    To state that you have to be physically present in the state for the "protection" of Irish law.

Are you saying that if you host in, for example, the US, on US servers, paying a US company, that you fall under the Irish jurisdiction? Why then do adult sites favour Amsterdam to host, or gambling sites the Isle of Man or illegal mp3 sites in Russia?
    To imply that not being a member of ISPAI and hosting websites is in breach of some legislation.

To imply that all that host must be registered with the Data Protection Commissioner.

To imply that you "don't care" about legalities and data protection if you host outside of Ireland.

Michele brought up those points, so I'll let him answer, although from what he said, making those leaps is a 'little' too far. Although registering with the Data Protection Commissioner is a sensible thing to do indeed.

cgarvey wrote:

Cathal

As Stephen said, you're taking what I said and pushing it way beyond what I meant.

I never said that anyone who wasn't a member of ISPAI is in breach of legislation.

Michele

Are you saying that if you host in, for example, the US, on US servers, paying a US company, that you fall under the Irish jurisdiction?
    I am (assuming we're talking about an Irish resident or company).
    Why then do adult sites favour Amsterdam to host, or gambling sites the Isle of Man or illegal mp3 sites in Russia?
    Because their laws (content, copyright, tax, whatever) are much more suited to that purpose.

But, thanks to you and Michele for clarifying that you are not breaking any laws or data protection legislation by hosting abroad, as I was concerned by both your original statements.

You're not breaking laws, but, for example, if you were to host your site/app on a host in texas - when you enter into that contract, you agree that any issues are under the jurisdiction of the courts in texas. Thus, Irish law does not apply to the service you get, and none of the protections under Irish legislation are relevant or enforceable between you and the host (privacy issues included).

(privacy issues included).
    The privacy issues can be quite worrisome if you recall what happened with rackspace in the UK a couple of years ago

Advertisement