Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - What did you think of the paper?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

To be honest, i thought it was a very fair paper. There was a lot of repition from last year and no isistacy question that was so widely predicted!! I especially liked the question on biomes, quite managable, very easy to talk about.
    I feel I have got my A.

What did you all think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

didnt like it at all , where i was setting in the exam all was right beside the window and the sun was beaming down on me, and for some reason they had the heating on, so was the sun and the heating... couldnt concentrate at all, id say i mite have just gotten an honour in the paper if im lucky, but over all i didnt do too good, i just cudnt concentrate...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

ya .it seemed pretty fair.. the biome questions covered everything. hopefully got an A myself. SRP SRP SRPs aghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Yeah, i was thinking as writing "SRP's SRP's". The short questions were simple, so many little ones using the letters. Was finished them after 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

i got everyone but the drainage Q. :P Missing the 1st 2 months of 5th year finaly caught up to me .. i spent about 20 on them. 10 trying to fix something with tippex.. how did everyone find the regions Qs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Short questions were a joke, way easy except for drainage. As for the LAQs they seemed a bit mean but struggled through them all. First question for Geoecology was handy, soil erosion, 'cos it's touched on in other areas. Including Field Study i'd hope for a decent C or (longshot) even a B.

Edit: now that I think of it, is Nuclear categorised as renewable? Im sure it's not. but...

• Advertisement

the drainage one: i thought it was a watershed that separated the two....but couldnt think of what the name for where a tributary meets a river.

regions was quite managable, i did the one where you had to draw the sketch map of ireland (the os map provides a perfect diagram of ireland on it, what a help!!) and the other questions were on tourism (did paris) and agriculture in a sub continental region (india). Overall very happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I thought it was an awful paper. Why did they mix up the physical? Absolutely farcical, tectonics,landform and rocks! What a joke. As far the biome not fair at all, only asking about plants and animals, extremely limiting. Not like last year at all.

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Edit: now that I think of it, is Nuclear categorised as renewable? Im sure it's not. but...

I was thinking the exact same thing during the exam....and it isn't. What question was this for? For the conflict between exploitation of natural resources and impact on environment....i did sellafield (uranium) and corrib gas field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭glenroe2006

My biggest problem with the paper was that they mixed up the Physical Questions. Last year it was one q on Tectonics, one on Rock Cycle and one on Rivers. Same with the Sample Papers. That wasn't fair at all for them to change it up in my opinion. Nevertheless, I got through it, half-remembered an answer on Quarrying from the Christmas exams. Regions and elective were all okay, bit of waffle in there but I knew my stuff for the most part. Geocology was a dream, wrote the Plants and Animals adapting to the biome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Pretty standard, I'd say, nothing too hard imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I was dissapointed with it. Huge difference between it and last year's. Short question were a joke, but physical wasn't great....mixed and matched..stupid human processes question I wanted was in a question on faulting so I was forced to dig up my knowledge of mining from about 4 years ago. It was grand though, think I got the number of SRPs needed. Region was lovely, deformed map of Ireland, industry in the Mezzo and agri in India. Drogheda question wasn't great, the 3 functions probably doesn't have enough SRP's and overpopulation was a bit messy.

AND language didn't come up, what the hell!! Had to do migration instead, but it turned out surprisingly well.

Think I missed out on the A1 I wanted, but if it's marked easily, could get the A2. Can't afford less than a B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

They made the longer questions slightly harder this year but overall thats probably for the better. A fair paper altogether imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

what were you meant to write for the comminications/ transport in the elective q on Service Industry in developed regions ?

I just wrote a load of crap about about the tgv and broadband, load of waffle :( and i i think i took the question onboard wrong :(

Also for the atmosphere ocean Global Warming didn't come up!!

And they said the relationship water between Ocean and Atmosphere but surely that includes the land also. It phrased badly and confused me, i went for the hydrological cycle malarky...... hope its right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

On that show 606, the guy said they would not mix the sections. Still quite easy, a2 or a1

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Ya have to agree, not quite as straightforward as usual and the real pain was the mixed physical question, if only mix and match was possible, oh well. Biome was a bit specific, had to waffle on a bit about animals and plants but sure think I did ok, maybe an A2, well hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Ordinary level paper was grand, flew through it! was finished around 1 hour 45 mins in! delighted its over!

The mixing of physical questions was a disgrace. Second paper of a new course and no consistency. Farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

sternn wrote:
    I was thinking the exact same thing during the exam....and it isn't. What question was this for? For the conflict between exploitation of natural resources and impact on environment....i did sellafield (uranium) and corrib gas field

This was the short question

And as far as the test went:
    Short: grand
    Long: Meh ok...anyone do economic activity...weird one was the one about MNCs, 2nd q. Pretty much what do they do? I dunno
    all ok i suppose...b2 i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Here's a Q. For the geoecology question about plants/ animals adaptations in a biome, would all the marks be given purely for talking about the adaptations or would some marks be for describing the biome itself? :confused:

Overall I felt it went ok, some tricky bits but nothing impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

too many questions for time given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

I thought it was an awful paper. Why did they mix up the physical? Absolutely farcical, tectonics,landform and rocks! What a joke. As far the biome not fair at all, only asking about plants and animals, extremely limiting. Not like last year at all.

the biome question was not restricted, it gave the opportunity to bring in all the charcteristics and just relate them back to climate and soil. it frightened me at first by i actually got 5 pages written on it in the end. very happy with it, shouldve got the A. luckily learnt off quarrying last night for the physical!

The paper is already up here:

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2007/LC005ALP000EV.pdf

wow they are efficient!!

As reguards the geoecology, it depends on the marking scheme and on how other people answered it. I dealt with climate and soil separately with animals and plants. You can kind of describe the biome in the answer...so i guess if you link it right then yes you should get the SRP's!

Did Landform development come up? The volacano/defprestation question was ACE.

melsman wrote:
    the biome question was not restricted, it gave the opportunity to bring in all the charcteristics and just relate them back to climate and soil. it frightened me at first by i actually got 5 pages written on it in the end. very happy with it, shouldve got the A. luckily learnt off quarrying last night for the physical!
    I felt it was restrictive, but you are entitled to disagree if you like, I had lot prepared for origin and distribution and also a bit on soils. I wrote a page on those and then a page on animals and a page on plants. I felt it was a lot more restrictive than last year's general characteristics and human interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

The mixing of physical questions was a disgrace. Second paper of a new course and no consistency. Farce.

Well, they tested that you had covered the course. By mixing them up they avoid people trying to only do certain sections.
    As for the lack of consistency, they did say when they brought out the new sylabus that they were aiming to remove predictability, so they seem to be succeding.

Personaly i thought it was a very nice paper, shorts were lovely, only took 10mins
    Did Q1, Q4, Q8 and Q18. Hopefully I got the A1. Almost lol'd when I saw Isostasy didnt come up. Everyone was panicing so much about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Did Biome question and that was fine, kinda forgot loads of srp's that were in my head right before i went in there!!!

Then did the short questions, there were pretty handy i must admit, near to full marks there.

My physical was good. did question 1 and the B was good and i bull****ted in qestion c but it was good bull**** :D

Region was alright aswel did question 4, good A, maybe not alot on B but i nailed the C.

Elective was awfu, completely rushed it. Prob got the full marks for A. Then id be lucky to get 30 out of 60 for B and C, completely rushed bull**** and im afraid it wasnt good bull**** this time :(

Overall probably a C, maybe my field study might scrape me that B.

mathew wrote:
    Well, they tested that you had covered the course. By mixing them up they avoid people trying to only do certain sections.
    As for the lack of consistency, they did say when they brought out the new sylabus that they were aiming to remove predictability, so they seem to be succeding.
    They made it out to catch people in lieu of giving people the best opportunity to show what they have learned. We had one paper to go by and they ****ed it right up.

I would think I got in each section:
    Short Questions-54
    Physical-72
    Regional-80
    Elective 75
    Option-67
    Report-83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

They made it out to catch people in lieu of giving people the best opportunity to show what they have learned. We had one paper to go by and they ****ed it right up.

Didnt think there was much catching out. They just jumbled the questions a bit. ie instead of having a whole question dedicated to one topic, they had multiple topics in one question. Perfectly fair in my view. If its on the course you should know it, so wheather it comes up with something related or totlay unrelated you should still be able to answer it

• Advertisement

mathew wrote:
    Didnt think there was much catching out. They just jumbled the questions a bit. ie instead of having a whole question dedicated to one topic, they had multiple topics in one question. Perfectly fair in my view. If its on the course you should know it, so wheather it comes up with something related or totlay unrelated you should still be able to answer it
    All aimed at cathcing you out, have you not looked at last year's paper.:rolleyes: It was clear that people would concentrate more profoundly on a specific topic that they prefer but then they go and mix them up. If you can recite a text book good luck to you.:rolleyes:

Advertisement