Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transferring motor tax?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to transfer motor tax from one car to another? I ask because I've just ordered a new car and my current motor tax has about 9 months left on it, and it would suck to have to pay the full 500-odd euros in tax on the new car.

/wishful thinking

edit: spelling

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I wouldn't think so. I know you can apply for a refund in certain cases:
    Refunds of Motor TaxIt is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120. Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;

The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.
    Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

but if could be transferred wouldn't we all be doing it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have sent them an email for a definitive answer, but I ain't getting my hopes up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Unless you're scrapping the car you haven't a snowballs mate.
    Just try and use it when bargaining the trade-in or sale price
    of your old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Not going to happen you have to take the hit I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭gipi

I remember being in a similar situation several years ago, and managed to negotiate the trade-in price with the dealer who allowed me for the road tax.....your 2nd hand car will be more attractive to a buyer with 8/9 mths tax remaining, so he should cut you some slack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for quoting that, Spocker. Clearly there's no way for Stephen to get any money back in his situation
    gipi wrote:
    your 2nd hand car will be more attractive to a buyer with 8/9 mths tax remaining, so he should cut you some slack!

That's it. It will make the car easier to sell. Mind, Stephen has just ordered a new Honda Civic and the deal is done, so I'm sure there won't be any re-negotiations because of a bit of tax left on the trade in...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got a definitive "no" from them this morning. Oh well, I knew it was a long shot anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

You can get a refund up to the next 3-month block of tax remaining, and put that towards your new car tax... e.g. if you've 8 months remaining, you can get refunded for 6 months. Takes bloody ages to come through though!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can get a refund up to the next 3-month block of tax remaining

No you can't, unless in the circumstances quoted above. We've already established that these do not apply to the OP...

Advertisement