Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options after failing in maths!

Options
  • 11-06-2007 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Ok so im preety sure i failed maths, what are my options now for next year other then repeat maths?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Depending on the career a PLC might be an option for ya mate!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

All depends on what you've applied for. There are loads of courses in universities and ITs that do not require maths. For example, maths is not needed to matriculate for the following faculties in any of the NUI colleges, so it's no problem unless the specific course has a maths requirement:

Faculty/College of:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

Did you have any such courses on your CAO form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

can I do anything like media production etc.. or engineering with failed maths ???? also anything in DCU ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

All depends on what you've applied for. There are loads of courses in universities and ITs that do not require maths. For example, maths is not needed to matriculate for the following faculties in any of the NUI colleges, so it's no problem unless the specific course has a maths requirement:

Faculty/College of:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

Did you have any such courses on your CAO form?

Eh no, my first choice was quanity surveying in dit which requires an ordinary level d3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

you can always change the CEO... or else you can repeat maths. take a year out ect.

StephenC_IRL : you wont be able to do engineering with failed maths. i think for most engineering you need a pass in honours. correct me if im wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

Ok I hope Im wrong but we were told if you fail maths that's kind of it you'll have to repeat because with a failed maths everything is cancelled? I don't know though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think that was back in the day, when if you failed maths/irish/english they'd come to your house with pitchforks and sticks ablaze ready to tie you to the stake and whip you unmercifully with a barbed wire cat o' nine tales while repeatedly kicking you up the arse with an oversized boot. I could be wrong though.

Afaik they're a bit more lenient these days, you get a cert with the subjects you passed on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

DIT offer something for failed maths don't they? might be completely wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

cossyx wrote:
    Ok I hope Im wrong but we were told if you fail maths that's kind of it you'll have to repeat because with a failed maths everything is cancelled? I don't know though?
    Not so, you'll be glad to hear.

I'm not a guidance counsellor, so I'm loath to give any more info than I gave above in my earlier post - I don't know the ins and outs of all the DIT, DCU, and other IT courses.

If you don't want to repeat, I suggest you talk to a guidance counsellor about your options.

Advertisement