Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA... 70-620 or 70-270

Options
  • 11-06-2007 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm starting to study for an MCSA and was looking at possibly doing the 70-270 exam to get a nice on out of the way. However, I noticed that there is a new elective, 70-620 which caters for Windows Vista, should I go with the 70-620 for futureproofing or 70-270 for current?

Any opinions?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Vista is immature and Corporate deployment is light. I'd advise going with XP, then if you wand to add to the MCSA do Vista afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would go for the Vista myself, once you get the MCSA people wont focus to much on the MCPs you took. The Vista could be helpfull in 2-3 years time when companies will look for it more.

Have you planned to Upgrade your new MCSA to the new wave of MS exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I just checked the MSCE exam routes again and I noticed that the 270 is one of the Core exams needed.

Core exams: client operating system (one exam required)

Exam 70–270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional

While the 70-620 is an elective exam, just wanted to make sure you were aware of this

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Cheers static,

Answers that question fairly definitively...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi Static M.e.

where do you see that the 620 is an elective?

According to these pages it's one of the Core Operating System Exams:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

(worried now as I've just done my 620 as part of my MCSA/MCSE track).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It is now. It wasn't when he posted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

phew, thanks Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

I've got 210, which is the old Windows 2000 and 270 for XP. Best to go with the flow- it'll be a long time before business makes the move to Vista so there will be a load if XP in the field. You can always upgrade later on. I'll do the Vista eventually, but only once all the service packs are out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Hi,

I can tell you 2 things:

- There are some significant deployment of Vista, even in Ireland that are happening right now. This is not huge but this is happening.

- New certifications are a lot easier. It is even a lot easier to take the Beta ones. Vista certification is really easy at the moment.
    I would strongly recommend to those who are planning to take it even in 6/12months to take it now, as it will be a lot more difficult exam next year.

Advertisement