Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new radio for opel astra help

Options
  • 11-06-2007 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

i am looking to get a new radio for my 06 astra. i want one that i can connect my i-pod to and use my phone on. can anyone recommend one and can you also use the sterring controls for it. and can u also tell me the best place to buy one, many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't recommend changing the original stereo, A phone can already be wired into it, and an Ipod can be plugged in using a Dennison Ice Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

colm_mcm wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend changing the original stereo, A phone can already be wired into it, and an Ipod can be plugged in using a Dennison Ice Link.

i had one of those tuners for the ipod already and the interference on them is crap. what is that dennison ice link like? and why dont you recomment changing the original stereo?

I've fitted an IceLink FM to a Golf Mk5, and the sound quality is far better than from an ITrip. It plugs into the aeriel socket, and is hard wired into the car, so it charges the ipod too.
    Reckon taking the stereo out of the dash would ruin the way the interior looks, the radio is a huge chunk of the dash.

apparently you get a new dash part from opel. same colour and stuff so might look fine. dont know as ive never seem one but thanks for the info. i will look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

they are indeed easy to replace using an opel facia adaptor but you will also need a duplex-wiring adaptor as well cause the original doesn't have a standard ignition wire.

• Advertisement

yeah the guy in halfords told me that. said it would be expensive all in all but would work fine and look fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

the price will depend on the cd player or mp3 player you are buying.
    The facia and loom + aerial adaptor might cost you around 70-80 euro

It'll look something like this. I wouldn't bother
    astradashbw9.jpg
    Don't like aftermarket stereos in new cars, the backlight colours rarely match, the buttons are too small, and there is a higher risk of the car getting broken into.

colm_mcm wrote:
    It'll look something like this. I wouldn't bother
    astradashbw9.jpg
    Don't like aftermarket stereos in new cars, the backlight colours rarely match, the buttons are too small, and there is a higher risk of the car getting broken into.

never thought of that, about the car getting broken into......i really want my ipod in my car though......cant anything ever be easy!!

Buy a Dension Icelink FM in Halfords for 109.99, and see how you like it.
    ice_link_fm2.jpg

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    Buy a Dension Icelink FM in Halfords for 109.99, and see how you like it.
    ice_link_fm2.jpg

how is the sound on this? i had a Griffin Technology one and it was ****e. the interference was terrible. does this one have an issues like that?

edit: what is a head unit also, dont think i have one?

was just on to halfords. the guy i was speaking to has recommended that i get a harmon karmen drive and play instead of the ice link. anyone has one of these?

the Harmonn Kardon drive & play is esentially the same thing.
    Both use a wired FM modulator that plugs into the aeriel socket of your headunit. iTrips transmit to the cars aeriel outside the car, which is why the signal can be bad. These transmit straight into the aeriel plug, so there is far less interference or loss of quality.

The difference with the H&K unit is that also has a wired remote control and a seperate display screen. I don't believe the sound quality is better. It costs loads more, hence the recommendation.

colm_mcm wrote:
    the Harmonn Kardon drive & play is esentially the same thing.
    Both use a wired FM modulator that plugs into the aeriel socket of your headunit. iTrips transmit to the cars aeriel outside the car, which is why the signal can be bad. These transmit straight into the aeriel plug, so there is far less interference or loss of quality.

The difference with the H&K unit is that also has a wired remote control and a seperate display screen. I don't believe the sound quality is better. It costs loads more, hence the recommendation.

the hk is currently on sale in halfords for 150 euro while the ice link is 110. the hk was 230 euro so might now be worth the extra for the remote. thanks for all your advice and help, i really appreciate it.

150 quid is a very good price for the drive and play, just bear in mind you have to find somewhere to mount the display and controller.
    driveandplaybo8.png

I'd suggest you get your phone kit fitted at the same time as the drive and play unit, as all the same wires will be tapped into, and most of the same dash panels will be removed. This will cut your labour bill by a good bit.

never thought of that, thanks for your advice once again ;)

Advertisement