Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cubase midi help

Options
  • 11-06-2007 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm starting to get to grips with cubase. Initially I couldn't stand it, but I read the manual for a bit and things are starting to make more sense. It's definitly not as user friendly as Adobe Audition, but I do get the feeling that if I put some time into it it'll be much better.

So, question time...

How do I insert some midi action? I have a usb midi controller hooked up, I can make it register on a midi track in cubase but it doesn't appear to make any noise. I can see what notes I've hit, but they're silent. Now, I'm guessing this is because it's just a midi controller and doesn't actually produce any noise of it's own, so... how do I go about attaching a noise to it? Before using cubase I thought I'd have to go through reason, but now cubase seems very into the midi lark so I'm wondering can I do it all in Cubase.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ok, I think I might have figured this out through messin' around... I went into vst instruments and then picked synth and then it gave me some ****ty "bass" sounds.

So does this mean I don't have to use reason or what's the craic with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

have you clicked on the record enable button? if you see the little bar that shows the midi info going in, but you hear no sond, it's usually that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Ok, so I'm starting to get to grips with cubase. Initially I couldn't stand it, but I read the manual for a bit and things are starting to make more sense. It's definitly not as user friendly as Adobe Audition, but I do get the feeling that if I put some time into it it'll be much better.

So, question time...

How do I insert some midi action? I have a usb midi controller hooked up, I can make it register on a midi track in cubase but it doesn't appear to make any noise. I can see what notes I've hit, but they're silent. Now, I'm guessing this is because it's just a midi controller and doesn't actually produce any noise of it's own, so... how do I go about attaching a noise to it? Before using cubase I thought I'd have to go through reason, but now cubase seems very into the midi lark so I'm wondering can I do it all in Cubase.

You CAN re-wire Reason through Cubase and use your synths that way. But you were right in your assumption, your midi controller produces no sound of it's own - midi is electricity, not audio.

Add a midi track. Now look for a ytab that displays VST instruments - you can load 16 samplers here. Depending on your Version of Cubase, you may have some instruments already, perhaps the LM7 drum machine. Anyway, once you've laoded your vst instrument, you have to select your midi track look at the left hand side of the screen. It'll say something like In and out. The 'in' is your midi controller. You have to sleect the out tab and tell it what sounds you want the controller to trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

aha. hold on. do you have any vst's yet? if you are using the midi instruments that came with the program then they are ****ty. download some vst's. there are loads of free ones on kvraudio.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Reason should have betetr synths, as that's it's primary function.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Cheers lads, I'm gonna go on a vst hunt... I was doing my head in with all the differant "bass" sounds... like fretless bass, which sounded more like someone taking a piss in a synth.

I'm not up with all the lingo yet, so alot of the manual is like crazy talk to me, but I'm getting there. Guess it's just a case of clicking everything and hoping there's no "wipe harddrive" button hidden in with the rest :P

Advertisement