Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the search functions disabled?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I can understand the amount of resources that searching with alot of special switches can amount up to, but why don't you allow searching of "posts" by a poster opposed to threads created by them. It's alot easier to keep up with your old posts that way.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It was taking its toll on the servers from what I remember and the site was barely functional. Alot of stuff had to be disabled until the adding of more hardware and tweaking which is still going on I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is there an alternative way to keep track of threads you've posted in, opposed to subscribing to every single thread that you know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

In your User Cp under "list subscriptions" there's a list of all the threads you've posted in.

I'm aware of it, but that's only for threads you'ver subscribed to. It's a bit of an inconvenience to subscribe to evey single thread you've posted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can use google and write
    dlofnep site:boards.ie in the window
    it's not the best but works somewhat

• Advertisement

I know how to abuse google and all it's switches ;)

That will only show me what google has archived with my name on boards.. Thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

dlofnep wrote:
    It's a bit of an inconvenience to subscribe to evey single thread you've posted in.

Go to :User CP -> Edit Options -> Messaging and Notification and change the Default Thread Subscription Mode to "No Email Notification"........
    54la9w5.png

........and that's it. There's no need to manually subscribe to every thread after you post in it as it's done automatically from then on.

Of course a search function would be better but this will have to do for the time being.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Search isn't dead baby, it's just takin' a break.
    Right? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah tar don't worry, Search has gone to live on a big website with loads of pages to search through and loads of users to use it. It's very happy, but you can't go visit it because the webpage doesn't allow visitors.

thanks deepblue.

does anyone know a plugin for firefox for vbulletin to track your threads? something like that would be very handy i think..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How would that be better than usercp?
    I miss search tbh tbh. It makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Search is with its seven virgins in a better place now.

Do all you mods have secret slang or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

dlofnep wrote:
    Do all you mods have secret slang or something?
    Use search and you'll find out....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Stark wrote:
    Search is with its seven virgins in a better place now.

I thought you got 72 virgins? Are we skimping on the virgins around here now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Poor misunderstood search :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

because you touch yourself at night.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd we're done.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not quite. :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He's getting very forgetful in his old age ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Too much coke, not enough hookers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Dev needs to get some WD-40 for that threadlock ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement