Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electronic taps

Options
  • 11-06-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

I am going to be changing the bathroom in the next few weeks and was thinking about installing one of those electronic taps (for the sink), the one where it turns on and off automatically (IR). Never seen them for sale in a bricks and mortar shop, anybody have them or know how good they are ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Will you ever want to fill the sink? i.e. will it be strictly for hand washing?
    If yes, then go with one of these taps. If no, you'll need to hold your hand up to the sensor for a long while to wait for the bowl to fill. Also, I'm not sure how the hot/cold mixing is adjusted - it's not done from the upper part of the tap - will this be a problem? It may work well in a hotel type instalation where they have a hot return loop, but not so well in a domestic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

and some of them are kinda a pain in the ass...
    Sometimes the position of the sensor can be an un natural position to was your hands or face or toothbrush or something.
    Its like those hand dryers that go on and off every 2 seconds as you attempt to dry your hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I subscribe to the KISS principle, and to me they don't fit into that criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd kinda wonder about the value of such taps, especially given that you're presumably going to have to wire them in too. If it were for a public building, or a bathroom in a factory, you might be able to argue that water conservation would be improved.

For what its worth, I did install a system to control the water supply to some urinals some years back - used a PIR in the ceiling above the urinal area to open and close a solenoid valve. Bought it from Modern Plant in Dublin & Cork. Worked well, saved a lot of water when the building was unoccupied (128 hours a week), but the cost wasn't low.

Advertisement