Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower troubles

Options
  • 11-06-2007 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know this is a long shot but all replies appreciated;

My Nephew mows the grass for me, he crossed the jumper leads when starting the ride on, it's a John Deere LT155, the result is a caple called a fusible link was burned out.

I thought this was good as it should be a safety feature, however on the other side of the engine two wires come from what I think is a power generator, one of these connect to two wires which were joined by some type of ceramic connector.

Maybe the fact that he panicked did not help as I don't have much evidence of what the connector was, what I do know is if joined together the wires spark a lot (not good).

I have spoken with JD main dealers who don't seem to know what the connector was either and now talk of importing a replacement harness from the USA :eek:

Another not so nice issue that I haven't had time to check out is the engine mountings (blades and all) have pulled through the carbon fibre deck of the Husvarna mower.

I thought these were supposed to be safe has anyone had a similar experience with plastic type decks ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Haven't a clue,but its good to see you here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Jaysus - long time no see Pete!

I'd say the fuseable link blew as a result of the incorrectly connected jump leads. Have you any pics of this? Ceramic is used as an insulator - so maybe this is to keep + and - apart??????

Post some pics if you can Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the replies,

I hope the pics load, the fusible link might be hard to see it is brown beside the starter, it goes into a rubber shield that joins it to two red wires as the red wires are OK I presume it did its job.

The Black and Yellow wires come off the connector block and join to another black wire that comes out from under the engine cover, as both appear to join to the same wire I think that rules out + & -.

There is a fairly heavy piece of metal on the end of the black wire and what appears to have been a piece of heavy cable joining the two black wires, I think the ceramic may have been shielding the joint, maybe it was just another type of fuse or a fiendish way of alternating the power between the black and yellow wires .

I suppose I could take a chance, repair the fuse wire and join the two blacks and yellow together although it would be nice to know what I was joining and possible side effects.

As this has started off a bad week as far as mowers are concerned maybe I should leave it until next week ? :)

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The fusible link is there more for cases of something drawing excessive power instead of safety feature for reverse polarity like happened your mower.

The generator is probably the only polarity sensitive thing in it , so when it got reverse polarity it could have done one of a few things:

Blown a diode , causing power from the battery to run through the windings when you reconnect the wires

Melted insulation on the windings , again causing sparks

Melted some of the loom inside the insulation

or any or all of the above.

Anyway its a bit mad ordering a loom without sussing the problem ....post a few more pics of likely looking electrical boxes around the place and i'll tell you what to do to suss it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi bushy,

Thanks for posting, as you may have guessed I am blind as far these electrics go but like you I thought it a bit extreme to hear a new loom mentioned as the rest of the wiring is OK on the surface.

Tomorrow I'll remove the cover and follow the two wires into the engine section as far as I dare, I'll take more photos and post them tomorrow evening.

Thanks again,

• Advertisement
Advertisement