Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safari for Windows

• 11-06-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

At the 2007 WWDC Keynote, Steve Jobs announced Safari for Windows
    It is available at www.apple.com/safari
    It should be good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Nice one, hadn't tried safari before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Actually not working for me on my desktop. Currently installing on laptop to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

A surprising move from Apple though if you think about it they need a way for Windows users to create/test web apps for the iPhone so that is probably the primary motivation.

Anyway gave it a spin it is fast though the interface takes a little getting used to especially bookmarks which must be placed within the sub "bookmark menu" in order to be visible in the actual bookmarks menu & not the root of the bookmarks manager.

The font smoothing is very aggressive and jarring to the eyes, tried changing fonts & the level but so far nothing looks right like it does in Firefox or even IE.

Interesting on some levels & more competition in browser space is good but from my experience so far with it's not enough to tear me away from Firefox even if it is slower.

(Also experiencing some weird delays when clicking on tool bar menus though it hung on one instance but I waited a minute and it came back)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its nice to see competition :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I downloaded the browser as soon as Jobs announced it was available for Windows and blogged about it, so I've now got IE7, Firefox 2.0.0.4, Firefox 3 Alpha Gran Paradiso and Safari 3 Public Beta installed and Safari is far and away the fastest of the lot... definitely seems to be as fast as they're claiming - almost twice as fast as Firefox 2 and more than twice as fast as IE7.

How DO they do it!? :)

Great to see it finally making it's way to Windows. Hope it stirs things up a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Bard wrote:
    I downloaded the browser as soon as Jobs announced it was available for Windows and blogged about it, so I've now got IE7, Firefox 2.0.0.4, Firefox 3 Alpha Gran Paradiso and Safari 3 Public Beta installed and Safari is far and away the fastest of the lot... definitely seems to be as fast as they're claiming - almost twice as fast as Firefox 2 and more than twice as fast as IE7.

How DO they do it!? :)

Great to see it finally making it's way to Windows. Hope it stirs things up a bit!

You should try it on a Mac.....never, ever used a faster browser than the new Safari 3.0 -and so good, I can now drag all the others to the trash!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

culabula wrote:
    You should try it on a Mac.....never, ever used a faster browser than the new Safari 3.0 -and so good, I can now drag all the others to the trash!

^ i second this. im goin to download it on the missus' windows laptop shortly to see how it performs

culabula wrote:
    I have tried it on a Mac (well, an earlier version, a few years ago) and I completely agree with you. Brilliant piece of software.

My only complaints (right now) though are that I cant resize it the way I'm used to (clicking and dragging the sides of the window - not the bottom right corner - that works fine...) and the quick post editing feature on boards doesn't seem to work properly in Safari...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

test.

Works fine on the mac version!

Click-scrolling with the scroll-wheel on the mouse doesn't seem to be supported by Safari either, but I'm sure as it's a public beta its one of the many things they're working on.

Brilliant how you can resize textarea's inline within the browser! Very smart!

Lots of discussion on it here and I, for one, won't be using it as my primary browser on Windows just yet - for most of the reasons mentioned there. It's fast, it's just not quite as functional as Firefox to be an adequate replacement for it. Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I downloaded the beta of Safari a few minutes ago. I installed it onto Vista Home Premium with no problem, however haven't been able to much with since.

For a start it wont allow you to select the address bar to change the address, none of the menus are working, they just show up as blank menus., the apple site only half works on it.

Apple have a cheek to release this version to the public as a "beta" version, looks more like an Alpha.

I have installed numerous betas from Microsoft over the years and they have never released anything as bad as this onto the public, by the time a professional software company like Microsoft releases a public beta the only bit of the interface that is unfinished is normally the help system.

I used Safari on a mac when I was in the Apple shop in SF, free internet access!!, and I couldn't wait to get back to IE on a Windows PC

It IS Windows we're talking about. You need to give it three goes -and the usual rebooting of the PC that goes with it. Then it worked perfectly.

As a result, got bored with such nonsense, put the VAIO away to sulk and went back to fabulous computing on Safari 3.0 on my MacBook.

jahalpin wrote:

I have installed numerous betas from Microsoft over the years and they have released anything as bad as this onto the public,

Darn tootin'!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

working pretty much flawlessly on XP, first time install without a reboot, all menus etc working fine.
    Only issue I'm having is that they have overdone the anti aliasing on text
    so it looks a little too blurred imo.

Otherwise it is faster than IE7 or FF for me, so glad to have the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Tried it in XP earlier and it worked fine. I was impressed with its speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

culabula wrote:
    Darn tootin'!

Whoops, edited original post

jahalpin wrote:
    Whoops, edited original post

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Installed it onto my laptop ( XP MediaCenterEdition) and it wont work properly. All the text in the menus is just gone and you cant type anywhere. I will try a reinstall on it later.

Running it on my desktop however now problem. Posting from it here )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I just downloaded it and sweet jesus but its fast!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Winters wrote:
    Installed it onto my laptop ( XP MediaCenterEdition) and it wont work properly. All the text in the menus is just gone and you cant type anywhere. I will try a reinstall on it later.

Running it on my desktop however now problem. Posting from it here )
    I've got the same problem. Let me know if you find a workaround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Installed it earlier (and didn't reboot :rolleyes: )

Worked fine, blurry text as others have said. It is really fast but i'll stick with my IE 7 and Opera combo I gueess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

tried it out and although it is very fast I would miss my extensions on Firefox. Speed wasn't the main reason I migrated to FF from IE it was the customization. I like having the adblocker & toolbars I have now with FF and is quick enough for me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Really is a lot faster alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Doesn't seem to like LogMeIn. Even when trying to get it to use the Java method. It reverts to static HTML click and wait interaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's borked!

Although we have a heavily modified image, so that's probably why it crashes on me. I'll reboot if I get a chance and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It's quick ok and I don't find the text blurring an issue on a CRT screen.
    What is happening though is when I try to change the home-page away from the default (apple.com) it crashes on XP but not on a Mac.

I agree with some who would miss the plugins from FF though. When using XP I tended to use FF all the time.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Just downloaded it last night. Couldn't believe how fast it was :)
    Haven't played around with it much yet, so not too sure what the overall package is like, but first impressions are great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

there are plugins for safari on the mac so assuming safari becomes a popular choice for window's users, im sure it wont be long before they start appearing

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

It's pretty damn fast, but the fonts are horrible.

I'm sticking with Opera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, it continually crashes for me.

Doesn't seem to be anywhere to give Beta feedback...

Advertisement