Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safari for Windows

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Has a 0-Day security hole just posted on Full-Disclosure.

Exploits already published online.

Id uninstall for a while if i was ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Safari still wont work on Vista HP. Has anyone managed to get it working on Vista?

Think I'll stick with IE 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Peteee wrote:
    It's pretty damn fast, but the fonts are horrible.

I'm sticking with Opera

Bizarrely, it uses MacOS text anti-aliasing on Windows; that's why the fonts are weird-looking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

NutJob wrote:
    Has a 0-Day security hole just posted on Full-Disclosure.

Exploits already published online.

Id uninstall for a while if i was ye.

no different than IE or FF so! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Just downloaded it and its working fine though it took a while longer than ie7 to load ( i haven't rebooted yet though).

I doubt I'll give up FF for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

seamus wrote:
    Nope, it continually crashes for me.

Doesn't seem to be anywhere to give Beta feedback...

The little 'bug' beside the address bar seems to be for submitting feedback.

Annoying the way you cant ctrl+enter to fill in the www. and .com bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

rsynnott wrote:
    Bizarrely, it uses MacOS text anti-aliasing on Windows; that's why the fonts are weird-looking.

Yeah that seems to be the problem they aren't using cleartype that Firefox/Opera/IE use.

It seems a straight port of the OSX version with no considerations for the Windows platform in terms of it's UI and is very buggy after trying it out now for an extended period on two different machines.

Again it looks pretty much like just a platform to spur iPhone web apps as the iPhone uses Safari which is why they have kept how it behaves on OSX the same as under Windows.

(For those wanting speed well Opera or CPU optimized builds of Firefox easily close the gap at least till Firefox 3 is ready)

8T8 wrote:
    Yeah that seems to be the problem they aren't using cleartype that Firefox/Opera/IE use.

It seems a straight port of the OSX version with no considerations for the Windows platform in terms of it's UI

Which is suggestive. iTunes is the same. It's not entirely impossible that they might put out a multi-platform development tool.

By the way, many people prefer the Apple antialiasing.
    8T8 wrote:
    and is very buggy after trying it out now for an extended period on two different machines.

The Windows version is indeed apparently very buggy. Remember, though, that it's a beta.
    8T8 wrote:
    Again it looks pretty much like just a platform to spur iPhone web apps as the iPhone uses Safari which is why they have kept how it behaves on OSX the same as under Windows .

Oh, I think it's more than that. They have about four months to fix the current problems (before Leopard release), which shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility. Once it's reliable, it'll be an attractive alternative to Firefox for some people, especially for heavily Javascript-dependent apps. Google recently announced that Google Gears would shortly be available for Safari, for instance.
    8T8 wrote:
    (For those wanting speed well Opera or CPU optimized builds of Firefox easily close the gap at least till Firefox 3 is ready)

I'd be incredibly surprised if processor-optimised builds of Firefox made any difference to anything except possibly executable size. The 'target a specific processor within an architecture' thing is generally a bit of a myth; modern compilers produce alternative execution paths for supported processors where beneficial.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

rsynnott wrote:
    Which is suggestive. iTunes is the same. It's not entirely impossible that they might put out a multi-platform development tool.

By the way, many people prefer the Apple antialiasing.

I don't know how anyone could 'prefer' it. I turned it to 'light' and it sorted
    out the body text like I am typing, however they still try to blur the edges on bold type like the thread tools above. So they look absolutely terrible.

copacetic wrote:
    I don't know how anyone could 'prefer' it. I turned it to 'light' and it sorted
    out the body text like I am typing, however they still try to blur the edges on bold type like the thread tools above. So they look absolutely terrible.

All down to preference and what you're used to, I suppose. I find Cleartype (the Windows one) hideous, but then I've been mostly using Linux and MacOS on the desktop since before Cleartype came in, so I never got used to it. (Linux and MacOS, of course, each have their own, different, anti-aliasing, but they're more similar to each other than to Cleartype).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

rsynnott wrote:
    All down to preference and what you're used to, I suppose. I find Cleartype (the Windows one) hideous, but then I've been mostly using Linux and MacOS on the desktop since before Cleartype came in, so I never got used to it. (Linux and MacOS, of course, each have their own, different, anti-aliasing, but they're more similar to each other than to Cleartype).

hmm, we'll have to agree to disagree. i like my type to look readable. bold type looking nearly double its size and totally blurred is not what I am looking for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Beta update today. Fixed my font problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I downloaded safari for windows yesterday just out of curiosity and i used it for a few hours and have come to the conclusion that it simply is crap. I usually use firefox and it is simply in a different league to safari. The amount of extensions for firefox is amazing and safari seems boring and pathetic in comparison. Btw why does safari make text slightly blurred in appearance?
    I honestly havn't noticed much if any speed difference between ff and safari- i use the "fasterfox" extension. Also it crashed once but I suppose it's a beta so i'll forgive it that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Speed is not just internet connection it is how fast it renders content eg. JS and that is what Safari is better at. I agree it is very "sheep-skin" but on a mac they have safari extensions and I'm sure they'll arrive to Windows soon.

Just downloaded the beta earlier, so far I quite like it. I can't stand Firefox, mainly due to the big-headedness of some of their userbase - blocking IE for example and bullying you into using it. Seems I may have found an alternative to IE that I'll like using.

Advertisement