Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help With XP Pro SP2 Remote Desktop Issue...!

Options
  • 11-06-2007 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Ok, here's the deal: I'm having terrible problems with RDP in Windows XP Pro SP2.

The main problem is that I can't connect to any remote servers... I've the updated Remote Desktop Client (I think it's 6... The new one that came out a month or two ago anyway). I get as far as, in the case of Windows 2000 Server boxes, the logon screen but then it won't accept commands (or even mouse clicks) from my machine.

Now, here's the strange thing: I *can* connect to our office's domain controller (i.e. on the same subnet as the laptop), but it's our remote servers that I can't connect to. Also, when I'm on our VPN, there's no problem (but since it's routed through the USA, it's very slow and not really a solution).

No problems with hosts files or pinging or anything, and I'm able to access some of the boxes through SSH (in the case of our *nix servers) and over HTTP (dashboard apps, etc.). All of these points make me think that maybe my XP networking stack is screwed some how. I tried "sfc /scannow" in an attempt to rebuild any dodgy windows libraries, etc. but it didn't make any difference.

I'm at the stage where I'm ready to rebuild the machine, but obviously I'd rather not have to do that :) I know this is a tough one, but if anyone's any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them! Cheers in advance, lads...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

As a quick suggestion, try and delete the tcp/ip stack on the xp m/c and then reinstall it. I had an issue a couple of weeks ago with pings in only one direction :( , but doing that resolved it. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I had a similar problem recently and it was the firewall on the remote site that was messing with the RDP traffic while pings and VNC traffic were fine. Rebooting the firewall did the trick.

This may not work for you, but it's worth an attempt - it's easier than a re-install ;)

Regards,

Liam

Advertisement