Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desktop or Laptop?

• 11-06-2007 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Ok basicly my desktop is starting to show its age it can still throw punches with the best of them its more than able to run Bf 2142 at a decent rate Cnc 3 is no problem the specs are (as Far as i remember) DELL Dimension 8400 P4 3.2 with HT, Win XP sp2, 160GB HD, 1 GB of ram an Ati Radeon X800 128mb, creative sound blaster pretty mush think thats all the necessary stuff.

I feel its time i went for something a little fresher something able to handle the next influx of top of the line pc games Crysis being top of the list.

NEEDS:
    Gaming being its primary use with surfing 2nd and multimedia 3rd

Buget is €1500

But now im stuck either i go for a fairly beefy High end not preformance (as preformance ones ausualy require you to sell a body bart or 2) Desktop or a sweet laptop.
    I have been suckeling off desktops all my life and have no clue on what good laptop specs for gaming would be or who make good laptops.

The portability of a laptop is highly appealing and i dont want to take up half a room with a massive desktop
    Building is out of the question as i haven't got a clue and dont trust myself enough to build one.
    No particular brand i mind
    So please any ideas will be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 madamebutterfly

Go with a desktop as you would be looking way above your budget for a laptop with good gaming capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A desktop, much easier to upgrade. Especially if you are going to use it for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

desktop for sure, but maybe hold off just long enough for DX10 to be around, as for the moment graphic cards compatible with DX10 are few and far between and cost a bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

You'd be surprised how easy and fun building is. Head over to www.howstuffworks.com they have video tutorials of how to build the complete pc. Also by building you can tailor it more to your needs.:D Its really a lot easier than it sounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep a desktop is the only way to go really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement