Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT vs Eircom, advice please

Options
  • 11-06-2007 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I'm thinking of switching from Eircom to BT because BT can give me 3mb broadband plus all Ireland and UK landline calls for €63 per month. (Eircom would be €88.39 without UK calls) The Q is, does anyone know is there any downtime between switching from Eircom to BT as my business is 100% dependant on having broadband 24/7. ?? I prefer to rely on you guys for a realistic answer ie: real customers with real experience.
    Many Thanks for any input. :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its better to enable BT on anothe line and simply cancel eircom

there is a transfer process called Bitstream Port Transfer which should be minute snot hours . let your BT Business account manager deal with the whole process and they will sort out the timing for you...near the end of your billing cycle with eircom .

Contact BT and ask for an account manager, I take it the 3mbit is a business package.

BT is cheaper for any sort of call, not just free uk landline

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The usual caveat about BT billing and loss of orders should always be mentioned:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thats why the process is best agreed with an account manager and not their front line sales droids . If they will not give you an account manager don't bother, get a new connection and ditch the old one when it works.

Payback is soon if you make a lot of UK calls .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

Sound advice. Thanks a mil. :D

On reading your post again just a question - have you established that your line is capable of 3Mb?

• Advertisement

Wow, good point Dub, how would I check that. Thinkin outside the box, nice work man. :)

I presume you have bb at the moment with Eircom? If so you can check your current line stats by having a look at your routers page (again assuming its the Netopia) http://192.168.1.254 - they should be on the main page in the form xx/yy.

There are alot of recent threads on the subject of line quality but most of the info you require is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055104667

Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    45/27 dB

The other stuff on the posts are soaring above my nut. This is the info from the netopia, what ya reckon?

Appreciate the help.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mr Digger wrote:
    Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    45/27 dB

The other stuff on the posts are soaring above my nut. This is the info from the netopia, what ya reckon?

Appreciate the help.
    :confused:
    That attenuation looks borderline for 3Mb. Changing from 2Mb to 3Mb could add between 8 and 12dB to that which would take you into the mid to high 50's which, in alot of cases, isn't good for a stable connection.
    The SN Margin is another factor that will dictate your max speed. Those readings are also available in the modem config pages. If it's a newer model (blue or silver wireless) you'll find them by navigating the left hand menu. Troubleshoot-->Statistics-->DSL. Can't think where they are in the older models (possibly in 'Expert Mode') but have a poke around.:)

Advertisement