Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right lads, what now?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Well, I've done it. Moved and the malarkey.

However...our offices are not ready yet and therefore I am the only one who has moved down so far. Any suggestions on how I can entertain myself between now and making friends? Any fun places to go/things to do on my own (no car at the mo)? And where are the cinemas aside from the Eye one? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

welcome to the wild west!

firstly you can change your "boards" location to Galway now! There is a cinema on the Headford road (The Omniplex), across from the Argos, though I personally think the Eye is nicer.

Try walking on the prom, it's lovely on a fine evening, you can walk out to blackrock in salthill, "kick the wall" and walk back again.

Take a look in the aquarium, it's not the biggest but it's distracting for an hour or two.

Have a look at the new museum beside the Spanish Arch, I haven't been in it yet but I hear it's nice (and free!!).

Have a pint in one of the many fine pubs in Galway and chat to a stranger.

Anyway I hope you are as happy in Galway as I have been these last five years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll let you tag along for a small fee ;)
    Also check the stickies on the main page.

Failte!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

drink and talk to strangers, that what I've been doing the past 2 months. Oh avoid CPs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

If your anyway sporty you could join Tag Rugby ?
    Good way to meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Take a look in the aquarium, it's not the biggest but it's distracting for an hour or two.

I went with Herself a while back, and I have to say, the tank with the rays poking their noses out of the water was the cutest thing I've seen in a long time.

I'm going soft in my old age, like fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Dont forget the Salthill Airshow on June 24th at 3PM, its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Syxpak wrote:
    I'm going soft in my old age, like fruit.
    YOU'RE NOT OLD YET!

don't admit it or i'll start to believe i'm old :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Wow, thanks guys! Excellent advice, and mighty encouraging that the people of this forum are so friendly. I will definitely go to the aquarium. I too like cute rays. Aw.

I am also looking forward to discovering this "kicking the wall" ritual I have heard so much about. As for being sporty - I'm not, however I do like recreational sport so as long as its not taken very seriously tag rugby is something I would consider...friends of mine have great craic playing in Dublin and its something I hadn't really considered so thanks for the advice.

If its sunny I will also spend lots and lots of time in the sun reading girly books and magazines and then in the evenings resting my sunny body at some pub talking to strangers. Suddenly the future is seeming quite rosey! Thanks for all your help.

P.S. Just about to change my location...may shed a few tears for my beloved Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jack Happy

Go to STRESS in De Burgos on a Wed night. Great live music from bands from all over the world. Great vibe down there if you just like to hear music, have a drink and a laugh with good people

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mahell

Take a look at the 'strange characters of galway thread' then walk from Eyre Square to Quay Street with your official 'Strange Characters of Galway Bingo Card'. If you spot Nora and she DOESN'T have a damp fag hanging from her lower lip you get bonus points. And while you're on Shop Street, kill a chugger. We all have to do our part! And it's FREE!

• Advertisement

Right lads, now what?

Now you post pix and I'll see if i want to serenade you with Rick Astley or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi Louise
    Welcome to Galway from another Dub emigrant!
    I guarantee once you've been here a while you'll never want to move back :)
    Try the Quay/Shop/High St. pub crawl - a drink in every pub along the way! You'll do well to make it from one end to the other ;)
    Kev

Thanks again guys, I will go and read the strange characters thread now. And thanks Galwayguy, thats what everyone keeps telling me so I'm sure you're right!

And as for the picture - this is an old one but I still look pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

louisecm wrote:
    And as for the picture - this is an old one but I still look pretty much the same.

Slammin' hottie!! I'll see you in CP's...

Thanks...its kind of misleadingly flattering though...I hope you're not disappointed.

Great pic! Think you could join the strange characters of Galway thread, not just read it......;) :D

Ugly as sin. Interest in thread quashed. Browser closing.

You guys are so shallow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Louise, I'm sorry but you can't tag along any more, even for any fee. My friends would ask too many awkward questions.
    Maybe RHG will take pity on you...

biko wrote:
    Louise, I'm sorry but you can't tag along any more, even for any fee. My friends would ask too many awkward questions.
    Maybe RHG will take pity on you...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Looks like she's already met RHG

Shallow? Me?

No way. To prove it I'll post my pic.

61089116.TheDeepEnd_35169.jpg

:D:D

Well Louise, did you find anything to keep you occupied yet?? More importantly, have you found a local???

Well. Work has had me all over the place geography-wise, so I've actually only really had 2 proper days to explore and in typical Irish fashion, it pissed rain on both days. I definitely encountered a couple of the "strange characters" and giggled to myself when I saw them (maybe it won't be too long til I'm a strange character myself eh???). I pondered the inconvenience of the location of Argos. I sat on my own in a pub and had a pint and read a magazine. Entirely pleasant. No local yet, but I'm very central so I think it will take a long process of trial and error to assess exactly where I belong. (a process I plan to thoroughly enjoy :) ) I haven't figured out where the best place to go shopping for food-like substances is, I think the Supervalu near me will break me if I carry on there. I haven't figured out the quickest route to the sea yet although I know it is near me. And I haven't joined any clubs. Its all ahead of me! Have most of my meetings next week in Dublin and have stuff on there over the weekend so will be there for the next little while, but the taste I have had of Galway living, I like. I look forward to getting back!

Paragraph!

Advertisement