Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More tolerance, maybe?

Options
  • 11-06-2007 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'd like to see boards take up a more tolerant attitude in moderation towards threads that may be considered offensive to a particular group of people, or if not a change of moderating policy, create a forum where such threads could be moved to and continued with some kind of age limit restriction. Now I'm not trying to play the "OMG WE HAVE RIGHTS TO FREE SPEECH" card here, but it would be nice for boards to allow some of the more extreme side of things through. Some of them I find, are quite interesting or entertaining.

Take a look at After Hours as an example. Every time there is a topic about the travelling community or eastern Europeans, there's always someone who gets banned for racism or complaining about a certain group of people because they don't like that group of people for what ever reason. We have something similar for those extra spirited debates that result in flame wars, where people can continue the threads or take up the issue in the thunderdrome.

What do you think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Binomate wrote:
    I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'd like to see boards take up a more tolerant attitude in moderation towards threads that may be considered offensive to a particular group of people, or if not a change of moderating policy, create a forum where such threads could be moved to and continued with some kind of age limit restriction. Now I'm not trying to play the "OMG WE HAVE RIGHTS TO FREE SPEECH" card here, but it would be nice for boards to allow some of the more extreme side of things through. Some of them I find, are quite interesting or entertaining.

Take a look at After Hours as an example. Every time there is a topic about the travelling community or eastern Europeans, there's always someone who gets banned for racism or complaining about a certain group of people because they don't like that group of people for what ever reason. We have something similar for those extra spirited debates that result in flame wars, where people can continue the threads or take up the issue in the thunderdrome.

What do you think?

Look at your election process.

Minority rules. Common sense does not come into it but a show formulae says it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

For everyone cry of over-modding, there's a reported post. Some fora have different standards in different dimensions: in Humanities you need to intelligent debate; in the Thunderdome you need balls. After Hours is the sandbox of Boards and thus needs to be kept fairly strict imo.

Ibid wrote:
    For everyone cry of over-modding, there's a reported post. Some fora have different standards in different dimensions: in Humanities you need to intelligent debate; in the Thunderdome you need balls. After Hours is the sandbox of Boards and thus needs to be kept fairly strict imo.

Well thought out.

A shiney medal is on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well thought out.

A shiney medal is on its way.

Banned...Pm sent....:)

mad m wrote:

thanks. I assume you are the folk the OP was on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"Tolerance"? You hypocrite.

Discussion of these topics is allowed.
    One is pretty much "free" to say almost anything one likes as long as one doesn't go way OTT, ex: mindless slurs, or threats of violence, or it's the same tired crap over and over from the same poster. You think it's acceptable to use words like nigger when referring to a black person? What do such words contribute to a discussion?
    Even in a society that professes "free speech", such crap is outlawed.

As for the bans handed out, would you care to review the bans in each thread each time? You might notice a pattern. There are warnings given and yet people just walk right into a situation that demands a ban by usually going way OTT or just refusing to STFU and get some common sense. Have a look. It works both ways.

mad m wrote:

I didn't get a PM from this person.

Can they be banned for wasting my time? They deluded me :(

A ban would set a good example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Binomate wrote:
    Every time there is a topic about the travelling community or eastern Europeans, there's always someone who gets banned for racism or complaining about a certain group of people because they don't like that group of people for what ever reason.
    So we should be more tolerant of intolerance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Talliesin wrote:
    So we should be more tolerant of intolerance?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Binomate wrote:
    it would be nice for boards to allow some of the more extreme side of things through. Some of them I find, are quite interesting or entertaining.

Just use the Thunderdome, we don't need another forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Or stormfront?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Or a late night radio phone in show, perhaps?

Actually, do Stormfront have a late night radio show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Binomate wrote:
    Now I'm not trying to play the "OMG WE HAVE RIGHTS TO FREE SPEECH" card here

You can't play that card. It doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have the discussions in relevant fora where you have to present and validate an opinion rather than ranting. Failing that, go to the Thunderdome or start a Skype conference chat with a load of mates and rant about dirty foreigners, gays and black fellas to your heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Binomate wrote:
    it would be nice for boards to allow some of the more extreme side of things through.

Nice for whom, exactly?

Nice for the targets of such extremism?
    Nice for the owners of boards who carry a degree of legal liability for what they permit on their site?

Or just nice for the people who think that their right to Freedom of Speech is more important than other people's rights to stupid insignificant things like equality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I agree with OP, when a thread is found to be unsuitable for a particular forum, instead of deleting or locking it, move it to another forum, so anyone still interested in it can continue talking about it. But at the same time it'll be out of the way of people who were opposed to it. Win-win

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Unfortunately we can't move threads to Stormfront.

Can someone look into making it possible? Do we have a stormfront embassador?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Any of the recent AH threads about minorities that I've seen haven't had many bannings - maybe you could give some examples of these overly harsh bannings? The only one I remember was in the thread on "romanian beggers (sic)" in AH - one guy was banned for advocating Hitler's tactics and saying we should finish the job he started.

Other than that there were plenty of conflicting opinions within the thread that were disagreed with, deconstructed, argued against etc., but that no-one was banned for.

Anyway as Ibid says, different fora have different rules for things like this, and Humanities and Politics would treat a discussion differently to AH - partly because these fora are more inclined to have real discussion without childish interruption. Either way you can't just say what you want and cry "rights infringement!" when it gets ridiculed or removed - this ain't Stormfront and you need to justify your comments, which can be hard to do if you're irrationally intolerant or supportive of Hitler's tactics, for example

• Advertisement

Well said flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Binomate wrote:

What do you think?

What you want is done over in www.somethingawfull.com You have to pay 10$ a yeah but its well worth it. Everything is fair play no matter how racist or sick. Even Scat.avi was on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

6th wrote:
    Do we have a stormfront embassador?

Karl Hungus.
    Anti wrote:
    What you want is done over in www.somethingawfull.com You have to pay 10$ a yeah but its well worth it. Everything is fair play no matter how racist or sick. Even Scat.avi was on there.
    They fall under US libel law...very different to what boards must endure with irish law (I believe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Anti wrote:
    Already a member. But I'm not looking for a place that I can be racist. It's more like wanting to see racists post their shit, and then get jumped on by the masses instead of getting banned for it. Less political correctness.
    flogen wrote:
    Any of the recent AH threads about minorities that I've seen haven't had many bannings - maybe you could give some examples of these overly harsh bannings? The only one I remember was in the thread on "romanian beggers (sic)" in AH - one guy was banned for advocating Hitler's tactics and saying we should finish the job he started.
    I'm not saying the bannings are overly harsh. They're perfect for what boards is. I'm just calling for a little bit of a variation. The travellers threads are always contain examples. Use of the word "knacker" etc.
    flogen wrote:
    Other than that there were plenty of conflicting opinions within the thread that were disagreed with, deconstructed, argued against etc., but that no-one was banned for.

Anyway as Ibid says, different fora have different rules for things like this, and Humanities and Politics would treat a discussion differently to AH - partly because these fora are more inclined to have real discussion without childish interruption. Either way you can't just say what you want and cry "rights infringement!" when it gets ridiculed or removed - this ain't Stormfront and you need to justify your comments, which can be hard to do if you're irrationally intolerant or supportive of Hitler's tactics, for example
    It can be hard to win an argument with someone who's completely irrational, but it's easy to laugh at that person instead. But I suppose Ibid is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

RuggieBear wrote:
    Karl Hungus.

They fall under US libel law...very different to what boards must endure with irish law (I believe)

Ah right. Didnt know that, thanks ruggie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Binomate wrote:
    I'm not saying the bannings are overly harsh. They're perfect for what boards is. I'm just calling for a little bit of a variation. The travellers threads are always contain examples. Use of the word "knacker" etc.

What do you mean by variation?

To be honest I don't think the problem you're talking about really exists. AH mods have to be stricter because things get out of hand there so much faster than elsewhere, but on fora like Politics and Humanities making a "controversial" statements is not a bannable offense. It's only when people start getting OTT or childish and insulting (because they can't win an argument on merit) that they get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Anti wrote:

Small point, but it was called swap.avi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I propose a Stormfront forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Where all the moderators are Gay, Jewish and Black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Boston wrote:
    Where all the moderators are Gay, Jewish and Black.
    it's perfect for you! :D

Advertisement